House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest worthless_site

Is A Football Team Being In The Premiership Good For A Town ?

Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA

Now Burnley will play in the premiership next season will that be good for the town ? Maybe make it more desirable to live there and buy property and businesses.

Or will its affect be negilagble with apathy reigning supreme in the recession ?

How did it affect Southampton to lose their premiership team and help Portsmouth to gain one ?

Hasn't helped Liverpool form being a sh!t tip.

Yeh but they've never been out of the top flight, it may have been even worse if they had.

It's a bad thing for a town. That's why Harrogate or Bourton on the Water have never made a bid for the Premiership

All a football club is, in terms of it's effects on what happens locally, is a tourist attaction frequented primarily by locals, and with small numbers of staff who are mostly from outside the local area. Whilst I'm sure some of the extra money generated by Premiership status will end up in the local economy, the vaste bulk of it will go towards paying the wages of non-locals. As far as travelling fans are concerned, I'm sure it comes down to how much growth or decline there's likely to be in their numbers, and whether these fans are spending in the local area on match day, or simply showing up for the game then buggering off again. As one who travels about a fair bit for sport-related reasons (not football...), I can safely say my impact on the areas I travel to is rarely more than a bit of petrol and a sarny.

Traders' premier haul as Potters hit big time

[blah blah]

PUBS and shops are counting the cash as the curtain comes down on Stoke City's first season in the Premier League.

Traders in Stoke town centre say they are thousands of pounds better off than this time last year thanks to a series of sell-out crowds at the Britannia Stadium.

Thousands more fans have attended home matches this season, pumping much-needed money into the recession-hit local economy.

According to one landlord, his pub would have shut down by now had it not been for Stoke being in the Premier League.

[blah blah]

Newsagent John Cooper, who runs Centre News, in Church Street, fears businesses will suffer a setback once the season finishes.

The 63-year-old, who lives in Blurton, said: "I think a lot of the businesses around here are going to take a knock when the season is over.

" On a matchday, we make an extra £300 to £400 over a two-hour period before kick off.

"Most people come in for cigarettes and to get snacks and drinks to take to the match with them.

"Every little bit helps, especially with the way the economy is."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/busin...il/article.html

Apparently hotels do very well, too. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the idea of a "premier" league, and wish it was Division 1/2/3/4. Not to mention how thousands of Potteries folk found the money for a season ticket.

I wonder what will happen to Newcastle then.

Hahahaha :lol: "big club" :lol:

It wont matter to them, they'll still fill the ground every home game.They must be the most loyal and fanatical supporters ever, there would be a que 10 miles long to sniff Sheares underpants.

I bet the geordies would rather be top of the championship than bottom of the premiership.

It raises profile - is the Kai Ten Electronics Company and Sweatshop Corp more or less likely to invest in Burnley or Padiham ? It gets the town's name all over the world. Plus it gets the marginal benefits of a few thousand every other week buying beer and pies.

I think it's got to be a good thing. Is there a town that's worse for having been in the Premiership ?

They'd have been looking at each other the day after, saying "OMG what have we done !?"

I put it down to the pies. Neighbouring accrington stanley got back into the league after being sponsored by that pie factory, then Burnley got sponsored by them instead, and up they go. I wonder what is the secret ingredient?

It has to be good for the local economy. I remember when France won the World cup some years ago and a study proved that productivity improved by a marked percentage and the general mood of the nation wether they liked football or not was also improved noticeably.

It may encourage some of the local boys and girls to say no to Turkey Twizzlers and kick a ball about a bit. The feel good factor in football loving smaller towns, especially northern towns like Burnley will be amazing.

Most working class chaps are football lovers and I would imagine households in the Burnley area will be happier.

The country is in a right state at the moment and Burnley like many others will be hit hard.

This will be a welcome distraction and I have not even mentioned the locals who will benefit from local ground sponsorships, burger sellers, pub takings etc.

Love it and good luck to them.

It should not always be measured by money.

It has to be good for the local economy. I remember when France won the World cup some years ago and a study proved that productivity improved by a marked percentage and the general mood of the nation wether they liked football or not was also improved noticeably.

It may encourage some of the local boys and girls to say no to Turkey Twizzlers and kick a ball about a bit. The feel good factor in football loving smaller towns, especially northern towns like Burnley will be amazing.

Most working class chaps are football lovers and I would imagine households in the Burnley area will be happier.

The country is in a right state at the moment and Burnley like many others will be hit hard.

This will be a welcome distraction and I have not even mentioned the locals who will benefit from local ground sponsorships, burger sellers, pub takings etc.

Love it and good luck to them.

It should not always be measured by money.

Still got no history, and staying at home! eh Bosh :lol:

I wonder what will happen to Newcastle then.

Hahahaha :lol: "big club" :lol:

Well Leeds are probably the best example to look at - it was a dump when they were in the Champions League Semi Final and is still a dump now they are playing the mighty Carlisle Utd in Division 3.

It wont matter to them, they'll still fill the ground every home game.They must be the most loyal and fanatical supporters ever, there would be a que 10 miles long to sniff Sheares underpants.

I bet the geordies would rather be top of the championship than bottom of the premiership.

You clearly don't remember the last time they went down a division.

Who cares? We made it to the Premier League against the odds :lol::lol::lol:

WELLDONE TO BURNLEY MATE , THFC FAN. lovely club burnley , its a good thing for newcastle to go down because it will improve thier future , when /if they come back up. they are a big club with the most loyal fan base that travel everywhere and sing their hearts out, but for 50 years theyve done bugger all , and now they need to wake up get it togther , or risk becoming the NEW LEEDS.

Who said newcastle will be top of the championship next year... its not a god given right to be top just cause ur relegated.

Why not ask Norwich, Southampton and Charlton while your at it, Oh and Leeds... Derby and Reading, Sheffield United and the West Brom just how hard that league really is. Newcastle will not be keeping hardly any of their stars, on over 50k per week. They just wont want to play in that league. Everyone in that league will consider the newcastle game a cup final and will try desperately to win.

That is one division thay I wouldn't want to be in this year...

Next year im sure Stoke and Hull will both be down, to add to the fray!

Some people hey!!

Well Leeds are probably the best example to look at - it was a dump when they were in the Champions League Semi Final and is still a dump now they are playing the mighty Carlisle Utd in Division 3.

Isnt it amazing us British have absolutely no pride in where we live.

So Liverpools a sh1thole leeds is a dump and yet isnt Liverpool supposed to be the capital of culture ? I drove through Leeds one time and didnt think it looked too bad.

Name somewhere nice that has a Premier League football team.

And the more a city has got, the bigger the sh*thole it is.

EDIT: They often have nice 'bits' but you need to get the rose tinted glasses off and look at the totality.

YOU WALLY LONDON IS BEAUTIFUL AND CULTURED AND CHOCK FULL OF FOOTBALL CLUBS.

You clearly don't remember the last time they went down a division.

Yeh I do they came back up under Keegan with the likes of Andy Cole up front scoring shed loads.

Yeh I do they came back up under Keegan with the likes of Andy Cole up front scoring shed loads.

Newcastle will be down for a minimum of two seasons, dont expect them to make the play offs next season.

YOU WALLY LONDON IS BEAUTIFUL AND CULTURED AND CHOCK FULL OF FOOTBALL CLUBS.

Plus 1

Well said.

Try taking your family out for a picnic in West Ham, beautiful, or strolling up the seven sisters road with your girlfriend.

Still got no history, and staying at home! eh Bosh :lol:

:P Our season is still ongoing Marky-boy........ Pinch yourself a tele and some bitter and watch the cup final on saturday me old mate.

Name somewhere nice that has a Premier League football team.

And the more a city has got, the bigger the sh*thole it is.

EDIT: They often have nice 'bits' but you need to get the rose tinted glasses off and look at the totality.

Chelsea and Fulham. Prime areas of London.... Biased of course but you did ask.

Isnt it amazing us British have absolutely no pride in where we live.

So Liverpools a sh1thole leeds is a dump and yet isnt Liverpool supposed to be the capital of culture ? I drove through Leeds one time and didnt think it looked too bad.

Liverpool is a great city, I really don't get the hatred some people seem to have for it. The dockland area, along with the waterfront is as attractive as anywhere, there is loads to do and most of the excellent museums are free. Yes if you hang around areas like Kensington you'll see some fairly grim housing but it's like saying London is shite because Canning Town is rough.