House Price Crash Forum

Eta Targets British Second-home Buyers In Spain

HOLA441

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6366057.ece

Eta, the Basque separatist group, has threatened to attack British tourists and second-home buyers in the French Basque Country for destroying the region’s culture and heritage.

In an interview with Gara, a newspaper sympathetic to the separatist cause, two masked members said that British and French visitors to the region were part of a wave of colonisation that was eradicating the traditional Basque way of life and language.

An Eta commander, using the alias Gaeuko, said: “If these things do not change, these oppressed territories will become leisure areas for the English, for Parisians and people from Bordeaux.”

With the summer tourist season moving towards its height, the threat from the terrorist organisation will spread alarm among Britons heading to Biarritz and other resorts in southwest France.

The ugly side of this f**king property bubble!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

British people underestimate just how despised they are outside of their own territory. Yes, we are welcomed with open arms at the various sausage and mash pubs dotted over the globe, but head outside of the safe zones and see for yourself...if you dare.

We are on equal footing with the Yanks in that regard; maybe even worse off when it comes to the Euro-zone, especially after Brown's reign.

HOLA445
I'm just amused a topic about terrorism was started by someone balled BomberBrown...

Arn't they clever. I mean as if the Security Services would not work him out after a couple of months!

HOLA446
HOLA447
British people underestimate just how despised they are outside of their own territory. Yes, we are welcomed with open arms at the various sausage and mash pubs dotted over the globe, but head outside of the safe zones and see for yourself...if you dare.

We are on equal footing with the Yanks in that regard; maybe even worse off when it comes to the Euro-zone, especially after Brown's reign.

Please, the Empire days are over. British tourists are no different than German, Italian or French by that matter to Spanish seaside resorts... you are all just "guiris".

ETA has not been weaker, in the Basque country Spain-side the local parliament has for the first time in history a government ruled by a "unionist "majority.

This is just a pathetic attempt by ETA to appeal to foreign attention and/or recognition, as the battle is being lost at home.

Edited by Old_Traveller

HOLA448

“NO **** DESERVES A SECOND HOME UNTIL EVERYBODY HAS A FIRST!”

A laudable sentiment but you might well find that if you took away the second homes of those who have been fortunate enough to acquire them and the incentive of those who want them, until everyone has a first, you might find that far fewer people wind up with a first home.

It might just be the case that a mixed market economic system, legitimately regulated, with all its ugliness and unfairness is the least bad system of economic organisation we have been able to come up with.

HOLA449
NO **** DESERVES A SECOND HOME UNTIL EVERYBODY HAS A FIRST! :angry:

I can understand the anger.

Surely there must be a better way. How about giving FTBs first refusal on properties coming onto the market; for instance only offers from FTBs to be allowed on properties in the first say four weeks of the property coming on to the market.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just out of curiosity, to whom did the Welsh/Cornish/French/Basque sell their houses to?

The "monied" Brits or the nice local couple down the street on local wages?

ETA need to start looking at the local (Spanish) officials who took backhanders from developers so they would allow huge swathes of farmland and open space to be turned into rabbit hutch apartments. Although they probably don't want to admit that without the assistance from corrupt local officials, there wouldn't be such a huge problem with 'incomers'.

HOLA4413
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm all in favour of untying basques.

Although many of the women who wear them, look better in them than out.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest X-QUORK
Good on 'em i say. Just wish the Cornish, Welsh and Scots had the same amount of patriotism.

Yes, what we need are more Nationalist terrorist groups. Great idea.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest redwine
The Basque region straddles Spain and France.

I'm assuming from reading the article that this was French Basque territory.

where is french basque territory ?i thought that pays basque was in spain !

as for attacking the brits pays basque is on the cold atlantic coast i cant imagine the brits being there

i dont think that easyjet or ryan air fly there if so to which airport ?

HOLA4422
where is french basque territory ?i thought that pays basque was in spain !

as for attacking the brits pays basque is on the cold atlantic coast i cant imagine the brits being there

i dont think that easyjet or ryan air fly there if so to which airport ?

Pays Basque is French, Pais Vasco is Spanish.

There are plenty of Brits there: They buy all the local property and outprice the local population from owning, so while I am in agreement with ETA's ideas they're methods I don't.

I know Ryanair fly to Biaritz, Pau and Zaragoza and maybe Santander.

Edited by Neil B

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425