House Price Crash Forum

Internet Speed?

MrPin

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8068676.stm

The government has promised to provide all homes in the UK with speeds of at least 2Mbps by 2012.

But what for?

I can surf and shop, and compare insurance prices with a dial-up!

Doesn't really sit well with the Gov's obsession with censorship and restriction!... :blink:

HOLA442
HOLA443
To download warez? :D

Exactly my point! Why would faster access benefit the Gov?

Perhaps the agenda is more of a "personal television" where they know here you have been,

and what you saw? :(

HOLA444
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8068676.stm

The government has promised to provide all homes in the UK with speeds of at least 2Mbps by 2012.

But what for?

I can surf and shop, and compare insurance prices with a dial-up!

Doesn't really sit well with the Gov's obsession with censorship and restriction!... :blink:

The government is unable to think anything through and just comes up with arbitrary targets which seem to be based upon the premise of:

"Wouldn't it be nice if...."

This lack of thinking has spawned the crim protecting human rights act.

HOLA445

Quite. I have moved from an area with 22Mbit/s broadband to 0.5Mbit/s. I notice no difference in my life. Downloading large things takes longer, so videos take about /5 seconds to start, rather than being instant. So what? I'm guessing that VOIP would be impossible, but I never used that anyway.

(I work in the IT business, so I would assume I'm a "heavy" user...)

HOLA446

keep the sheeple occupied?

i dunno i can do fine on .5MB , so you get large files a little slower? its not the end of the world

most movies and tv nowdays are shite that i wouldnt want to download

HOLA447

The same kind of thinking that espouses Digital TV and Digital Radio as 'better' than analogue, and thinks that we have to adopt digital before everybody else does, otherwise we'll be behind the times.....

Well it ain't better, except in the sense of more channels.

But that's more channels with nothing on, and all with the advert breaks on the hour, the half hour and the quarter. So when the adverts come on, you go surfing the other channels, and they're showing adverts too!

HOLA448
Guest มร หล&#3

I've questioned this recently.

Apart from downloading software, my connection is suitable for email and this place and looking at the newspapers online.

It runs at 22 kbps.

HOLA449
Guest absolutezero
The same kind of thinking that espouses Digital TV and Digital Radio as 'better' than analogue, and thinks that we have to adopt digital before everybody else does, otherwise we'll be behind the times.....

But that's more channels with nothing on, and all with the advert breaks on the hour, the half hour and the quarter. So when the adverts come on, you go surfing the other channels, and they're showing adverts too!

Of course digital TV is better than analogue.

The Government made billions of pounds selling off the analogue freqencies to mobile phone operators, (but they'll tell you the signals are clearer and you can have interactive features with digital).

HOLA4410

I am connected to the internet via cable, so I could have access to relatively high speeds.

A few times over the years, the provider has written to me announcing that 'your connection speed will be increasing, and you won't need to pay any more!'

On each occasion, I've contacted them and said, I'm happy with the speed I'm on, please can you reduce my bill instead? Mostly, they agree to do this. Sometimes, they don't intend to offer the slower speed any more (or, if they do intend to offer it, it's with some new restrictions that I don't want).

When I first got broadband (from memory), it was 0.5Mbps for £30-£35 per month. Now, it's 2Mbps for £18.

Recently, they've written to me to say, 'Your speed is increasing to 10Mbps, and your bill will only be going up by £2,' and I've done my usual, 'Can I stay on 2Mbps, and leave my bill alone?' but it looks like they're not going to support 2Mbps in the future (at least not without fairly restrictive download limits perhaps among other annoyances), so I've acquiesced to paying £20/month for 10Mbps.

I fully expect to not really notice the difference most of the time -- except for the extra two quid it'll cost me, of course... :(

HOLA4411

Exactly! My old TV never used to go "blocky", the picture didn't used to freeze, and the screen didn't go blank unless there was a fault that affected everyone :angry: (maybe everyone's screen go blocky and blank and I'm not realising it..)

I've never understood having adverts on all the channels at the same time - surely channel hopping might attract viewers that were watching something else onto your channel? It would also reduce the supposed big energy surge as everyone leaps to put the kettle on after Eastenderrs and in the ad breaks...

HOLA4412

You're all old farts, try downloading HD movies and TV on anything less than an 8mb line and it's a right pain in the rear.

Another few years and no-one will buy DVD's or games, they'll all be downloaded so higher speeds are essential and I mean alot more than 2mb.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
You're all old farts, try downloading HD movies and TV on anything less than an 8mb line and it's a right pain in the rear.

Another few years and no-one will buy DVD's or games, they'll all be downloaded so higher speeds are essential and I mean alot more than 2mb.

isnt the internet bottlenecking?

i heard there is too much data being transferred nowdays

im sure someone can track down the article

HOLA4416
Guest X-QUORK

You get this sort of austerity competitiveness on HPC sometimes. Just like the old Monty Python sketch "we lived on t'bottom of t'lake and ate gravel when I were a lad", this thread serves the "I get by with me 1kb/hour connection just fine!", followed by " 1kb/hour?! Luxury! My data comes over a string connection and has to be collected in an old tin before my wife reads it out and I type it into the ZX81!".

Craziness...just be happy that the Junta want to give us all 2Mb connections.

HOLA4417
I am connected to the internet via cable, so I could have access to relatively high speeds.

A few times over the years, the provider has written to me announcing that 'your connection speed will be increasing, and you won't need to pay any more!'

On each occasion, I've contacted them and said, I'm happy with the speed I'm on, please can you reduce my bill instead? Mostly, they agree to do this. Sometimes, they don't intend to offer the slower speed any more (or, if they do intend to offer it, it's with some new restrictions that I don't want).

When I first got broadband (from memory), it was 0.5Mbps for £30-£35 per month. Now, it's 2Mbps for £18.

Recently, they've written to me to say, 'Your speed is increasing to 10Mbps, and your bill will only be going up by £2,' and I've done my usual, 'Can I stay on 2Mbps, and leave my bill alone?' but it looks like they're not going to support 2Mbps in the future (at least not without fairly restrictive download limits perhaps among other annoyances), so I've acquiesced to paying £20/month for 10Mbps.

I fully expect to not really notice the difference most of the time -- except for the extra two quid it'll cost me, of course... :(

Less than £25 a year extra for 5x the performance - stop fracking moaning.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived