House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnny5thumbs

Welsh Judges - More Expenses Shock Statistics

The eminently sensible riposte to this whinging involves necessary security for judges during crime trials, and also the question of highly sensitive documents and other material, which might go astray if you just kept it in a hotel room.

The eminently sensible riposte to this whinging involves necessary security for judges during crime trials, and also the question of highly sensitive documents and other material, which might go astray if you just kept it in a hotel room.

ere - are you 'aving a go at me?

Ah - I see your point. When you say "go astray", do you mean like HMRC's details of 25 million Child Benefit claimants which "went astray" last November, or the numerous CD's, laptops and data keys lost during the last year by MOD, DVLA, HMRC et al. Do you really think the judges having their own £2900 per night 'residences' fully staffed with manservants and assorted retainers will make things more secure than staying in a designated quality hotel ?

But your use of the word "whinging" shows that perhaps you have more than a little sympathy with m'learned friends ...

ere - are you 'aving a go at me?

Ah - I see your point. When you say "go astray", do you mean like HMRC's details of 25 million Child Benefit claimants which "went astray" last November, or the numerous CD's, laptops and data keys lost during the last year by MOD, DVLA, HMRC et al. Do you really think the judges having their own £2900 per night 'residences' fully staffed with manservants and assorted retainers will make things more secure than staying in a designated quality hotel ?

But your use of the word "whinging" shows that perhaps you have more than a little sympathy with m'learned friends ...

It's not sympathy with m'learned friends so much as sympathy with litigants, victims and defendants. Financial records and medical reports, security files . . .

Just because the DWP is as leaky as a sieve doesn't mean the rest of the system has to be too.

It's not sympathy with m'learned friends so much as sympathy with litigants, victims and defendants. Financial records and medical reports, security files . . .

Just because the DWP is as leaky as a sieve doesn't mean the rest of the system has to be too.

I('m all for security. But the whole system IS as leaky as a sieve - not just the DWP. Surely you don't need links to accept that - I'll trawl them out for you if you really want them.

However, none of this is actually the point I was making which was ...

The clarion cry for MP's to be allotted luxury 'barracks' somewwhere in/near Westminster, instead of second homes, may not necessarily be the money saver that everyone assumes it to be, if based on the judges' experience - it may end up costing us a heck of a lot more ...

The clarion cry for MP's to be allotted luxury 'barracks' somewwhere in/near Westminster, instead of second homes, may not necessarily be the money saver that everyone assumes it to be, if based on the judges' experience - it may end up costing us a heck of a lot more ...

Of course it wouldn't be a money saver but that misses the point. The problem with MPs expenses at the moment is not the cost to the taxpayer which is tiny on the scale of things but the fact that it distorts their behaviour and incentives. If we abolished the ACA and increased MPs salaries by the same amount to compensate I'm sure they wouldn't spend it in the same way because it would be 'their' money and they'd be more careful with it. (I'm not advocating this btw.)

Judges can keep their paperwork at the court house and just kip at the hotel. For security, just don't tell anyone which hotel they're using. Simples. ;)

Don't suppose technology could come to the rescue could it? PGP encrypted documents, connectivity via secure VPN's to secure datacentres, rather than a travelling circus of paper. Thought not.

Judges can keep their paperwork at the court house and just kip at the hotel. For security, just don't tell anyone which hotel they're using. Simples. ;)

Sorry, but you have no idea how much paperwork accompanies some cases. No idea. Do you think judges during trials knock off at 4pm and do nothing until the following day?

Of course it wouldn't be a money saver but that misses the point. The problem with MPs expenses at the moment is not the cost to the taxpayer which is tiny on the scale of things but the fact that it distorts their behaviour and incentives. If we abolished the ACA and increased MPs salaries by the same amount to compensate I'm sure they wouldn't spend it in the same way because it would be 'their' money and they'd be more careful with it. (I'm not advocating this btw.)

An eminently sensible point.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Sorry, but you have no idea how much paperwork accompanies some cases. No idea. Do you think judges during trials knock off at 4pm and do nothing until the following day?

Do they do a bit more knocking off after 4pm?

Is all this security related to public anger ?

MP's , Police, Judges are all part of the corupt system and no longer server the public and in fact often get in the way of fair justice when no one dare hit a kid for coursing trouble.

Is all this security related to public anger ?

MP's , Police, Judges are all part of the corupt system and no longer server the public and in fact often get in the way of fair justice when no one dare hit a kid for coursing trouble.

No, it's related to the fact that violent criminals are often on trial, and that sensitive documents are often required for civil litigation - contractual disputes, personal injury cases and so on.

So, 1929crash, do you reckon £2900 per night is a reasonable price to maintain adequate security for m'lud ?

So, 1929crash, do you reckon £2900 per night is a reasonable price to maintain adequate security for m'lud ?

If it can be done more cheaply, without compromising security of personnel or papers, or the interests of justice, that's fine.

Maybe the sensible thing to do would be to cut the staff from what appears an unreasonable level to a sensible one and take it from there. Selling off publicly owned real estate at this point in the cycle is a bad idea.