House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ferret

Post Your Silly Eu Laws Here

You are not allowed to drive a Horse and Cart on a Main Road.

No more Horse Drawn Funerals, Milkman, Rag and Bone men, and the Queen can put all her Carriages in mothballs. :lol:

How about when you state them you also post which country proposed it?

Also, mention why you think they did it.

Horse drawn carts on main roads - probably relevant due to the Rom/poor elements of recent EU ascendant nations. At a guess was it introduced by the germans?

No more Horse Drawn Funerals, Milkman, Rag and Bone men, and the Queen can put all her Carriages in mothballs. :lol:

Is that so ?

Could you specify the Directive that says that ?

Another clever clogs, how I love people like you, maybe you should log on to UKIP`s website, so much you will learn. ;)

UKIP are in favour of horses on motorways?

If this is that Romania thing it was actually because they brought in animal welfare laws.

-You must inform the building regs dept of your local council if you wish to move a plug socket in your own home.

-Lorry drivers must do 7 hours classroom training every year and airline pilots must do an hour on the Jimbo plane ride by the checkouts in Asda every two years.

Another clever clogs, how I love people like you, maybe you should log on to UKIP`s website, so much you will learn. ;)

:)

So someone just made this up then ?

ooh if we can just make them up, how about:

It's now illegal to sell mussels in a restaurant without frites and mayonaise and a nice glass of Chimey ?

;)

Never mind silly EU laws, we have some totally stupid ones of our own, eg not being able to take photos of policemen. I can't be bothered with a round of 'straight banana' nonsense until we get our own house in order. We are not fit to criticise the EU, really we are not.

Or from the horse's mouth

Health warning ***might cause severe drowsiness***

Not an "EU law" though

...and I still can;t see a regulation to ban horses and carts from main roads (though I think keeping them off motorways is probably pretty reasonable)

And it doesn't apply here.

So the OP is pretty-much totally wrong.

Not an "EU law" though

...and I still can;t see a regulation to ban horses and carts from main roads (though I think keeping them off motorways is probably pretty reasonable)

And it doesn't apply here.

So the OP is pretty-much totally wrong.

I wasn't defending the OP's position. My point was that if we're going to cite European Law, we should provide links to the actual legislation and not to a VI site like UKIP's.

Never mind silly EU laws, we have some totally stupid ones of our own, eg not being able to take photos of policemen. I can't be bothered with a round of 'straight banana' nonsense until we get our own house in order. We are not fit to criticise the EU, really we are not.

Errr.... Yeah we are!

Using your statement, if we have a few stupid rules ourselves then surely we should'nt join a group that adds even more stupid laws?

And an extremley expensive, impotent and pointless group too!!!

I cant f*ckin wait for their expenses claims to be released.

-You must inform the building regs dept of your local council if you wish to move a plug socket in your own home.

-Lorry drivers must do 7 hours classroom training every year and airline pilots must do an hour on the Jimbo plane ride by the checkouts in Asda every two years.

Actually that makes perfect sense to me. Not yet seen airline pilots using their mobile phones during landing / takeoff, or see them flying so close to the aircraft in front that they can't see their brake lights (kind of hypothetical but significant when you here tyres schreeching as you slow down trying to move lanes because they didn't see your indicators / brakes lights being so damn close :ph34r: ).

I used to spend a LOT of time on the motorways and lorry drivers on the whole appeared to be rather bad drivers I am afraid :(

Not true, I'm afraid. My old dear is very involved in carriage driving - gets all the magazines and is in all the national societies - never heard a peep about this.

Why are so many things about the EU invented, when there's so much that's real to work on?

Actually that makes perfect sense to me. Not yet seen airline pilots using their mobile phones during landing / takeoff, or see them flying so close to the aircraft in front that they can't see their brake lights (kind of hypothetical but significant when you here tyres schreeching as you slow down trying to move lanes because they didn't see your indicators / brakes lights being so damn close :ph34r: ).

I used to spend a LOT of time on the motorways and lorry drivers on the whole appeared to be rather bad drivers I am afraid :(

Generally qualified HGV drivers are by far the safest driving class. We have 'how's my driving?' on the back of our wagons. Most of the phone calls generally highlight car drivers ignorance of the highway code and poor road reading skills. The most common complaints are 'I got stuck for ages behind one of your lorries it was only doing 40mph' which is in fact national speed limit for an HGV on a single carriageway.

Even if the issues you raise were a significant problem I don't see how they can be solved in the classroom.

There is a list of electrical works which don't require notification to building control:

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/

Moving a socket doesn't always require notification.

This derogation was brought in after they realised they were being hoist by their own bureaucratic petard. It wasn't the case originally and retailers were dispensing leaflets to customers of electrical fittings to fill in and send to the council which became inundated. It show's you how thick govt is to not be able to foresee it.

Basically, you still have to inform them even if it involves something as simple as putting a new circuit in.

Generally qualified HGV drivers are by far the safest driving class. We have 'how's my driving?' on the back of our wagons. Most of the phone calls generally highlight car drivers ignorance of the highway code and poor road reading skills. The most common complaints are 'I got stuck for ages behind one of your lorries it was only doing 40mph' which is in fact national speed limit for an HGV on a single carriageway.

Even if the issues you raise were a significant problem I don't see how they can be solved in the classroom.

I guess the lorry driver that decided to drive so close to me that I couldn't see his number plate was driving safely then. And his crazy speed-up-slow-down-when-I-did manoeuvres were just him abiding by the rules of the road?

I lose count of the number of lorries that think it's fine for them to speed through roadworks where I'm working, thus putting my life at significant risk. Far more risky than a speeding car (not that cars should speed through my 'office' anyway)

I'm sure there are plenty of good lorry drivers out there too, but don't try to make out that they're all good drivers, coz they ain't.

I guess the lorry driver that decided to drive so close to me that I couldn't see his number plate was driving safely then. And his crazy speed-up-slow-down-when-I-did manoeuvres were just him abiding by the rules of the road?

I lose count of the number of lorries that think it's fine for them to speed through roadworks where I'm working, thus putting my life at significant risk. Far more risky than a speeding car (not that cars should speed through my 'office' anyway)

I'm sure there are plenty of good lorry drivers out there too, but don't try to make out that they're all good drivers, coz they ain't.

I'd exclude 7.5ton smaller lorries which I'd classify with van drivers who do have a poor driving record and have a significantly higher accident percentage than my HGV drivers (which is close to zero).

Not sure about roadwork speed restrictions on motorways unless they were brought down to 30mph. Whether it was 50mph or 90mph I'd have thought it's almost certainly a fatality.

I'm also not sure how lorries can speed through roadworks that much anyway as they're limited to 56mph. Similarly with tailgating (which I accept is bad). However, the national speed limit for cars on single carriageways is 60mph and on dual carriageways 70mph therefore if the conditions are good a motorist should be making progress and it's difficult to see how they get a max 56mph lorry tailgating them.

This derogation was brought in after they realised they were being hoist by their own bureaucratic petard. It wasn't the case originally and retailers were dispensing leaflets to customers of electrical fittings to fill in and send to the council which became inundated. It show's you how thick govt is to not be able to foresee it.

Basically, you still have to inform them even if it involves something as simple as putting a new circuit in.

I don't think it has made any difference to electrical safety anyway. Still plenty of dodgy DIY/cowboy sparks. Those who are aware of part P and it's restrictions are not really the ones to worry about.

As far as putting in a new circuit is concerned, I wouldn't suggest anyone who doesn't know what they are doing opens up a consumer unit, in the same way that you shouldn't knock down a load bearing wall if you don't know what you are doing.

Both would require BC approval if you DIY. Fair enough I reckon.

I don't think it has made any difference to electrical safety anyway. Still plenty of dodgy DIY/cowboy sparks. Those who are aware of part P and it's restrictions are not really the ones to worry about.

As far as putting in a new circuit is concerned, I wouldn't suggest anyone who doesn't know what they are doing opens up a consumer unit, in the same way that you shouldn't knock down a load bearing wall if you don't know what you are doing.

Both would require BC approval if you DIY. Fair enough I reckon.

The issue for me is I'm perfectly happy with my own competence for carrying out a lot of electrical work and can safely do most household jobs. I don't want to have to fork out for NICEIC approval just to do a few odd jobs.

There's also no guarantee that the work a electrician with a relevant bit of paper does is any safer than what I'd do, in fact, in my experience often less safe. One well known firm of electrical contractors put 50 600x600 light fittings on the same circuit when shopfitting. People are either competent or they aren't doesn't matter how much training or certification.

The issue for me is I'm perfectly happy with my own competence for carrying out a lot of electrical work and can safely do most household jobs. I don't want to have to fork out for NICEIC approval just to do a few odd jobs.

There's also no guarantee that the work a electrician with a relevant bit of paper does is any safer than what I'd do, in fact, in my experience often less safe. One well known firm of electrical contractors put 50 600x600 light fittings on the same circuit when shopfitting. People are either competent or they aren't doesn't matter how much training or certification.

Agreed, I have seen and fixed plenty of dangerous installations by approved electricians. We often subcontract work to electrical contractors, and have to tell them how to carry out the work to the regulations.

Problem is, how do you make these people competent?

Anyway, I'm sure you don't bother notifying BC if you want to move a socket. ;)