House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loginandtonic

Pre-tds Deposit - Who Do I Sue To Get It Back?

Managing agent who I paid my rent to on time every time is now dodging me when i ask for my deposit back, sveral weeks on and still fobbed off by them.

I was warned the man agt is a pr!ck but nevertheless i was very courteous, gave benefit of doubt. Now my patience has worn out.

So who can i sue to get my deposit back, is it the letting agent who took the deposit, the man agt who took my rent every month, or the landlord himself?

this was a pre-TDS deposit.

talking, patience, negotiation & courtesy has got me nowhere.

And best use Moneyclaim online or my legal insurance scheme cover (bought with my contents insurance) ?

any tips welcome thank u

I have only ever taken old Landlords to the small claims court using Money-claim online. However, I have used to the legal cover part of my household insurance to get advice before that. The small claims court has worked well for me, although some people have had problems with bankrupt LL's.

The get the LL's name and address (if not on AST and agent will not give to you) I've used the Land registry website.

My procedure had been.

1. Write letter to LL giving them 14 days to pay. Keep it brief. Send recorded delivery

2. Write further letter after 14 days to tell them that unless paid within 7/14 legal proceeding will commence and they will be labile for the extra charges. Keep it brief.

3. Start money claim after that period. Collect all evidence - inventories, photos letters etc.

Something that I've tried to not to is get stressed out or into arguments with these people. The ones I've had to take to court have been the rude and harassing sorts to begin with. They loved the drama and power. Some agents and LL's love arguing and will try to get you into a debate at every letter or phone call. I screen my calls and will only do this through letter and the small claims.

Good luck.

I have only ever taken old Landlords to the small claims court using Money-claim online. However, I have used to the legal cover part of my household insurance to get advice before that. The small claims court has worked well for me, although some people have had problems with bankrupt LL's.

The get the LL's name and address (if not on AST and agent will not give to you) I've used the Land registry website.

My procedure had been.

1. Write letter to LL giving them 14 days to pay. Keep it brief. Send recorded delivery

2. Write further letter after 14 days to tell them that unless paid within 7/14 legal proceeding will commence and they will be labile for the extra charges. Keep it brief.

3. Start money claim after that period. Collect all evidence - inventories, photos letters etc.

Something that I've tried to not to is get stressed out or into arguments with these people. The ones I've had to take to court have been the rude and harassing sorts to begin with. They loved the drama and power. Some agents and LL's love arguing and will try to get you into a debate at every letter or phone call. I screen my calls and will only do this through letter and the small claims.

Good luck.

what a fantastic clear and great reply, thank you flopsy u r a star :)

Quick hi-jack !This is helpful. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to go through this with my LA. Do you know how long they have to return deposit pre-TDS. There's nothing in the contract

Quick hi-jack !This is helpful. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to go through this with my LA. Do you know how long they have to return deposit pre-TDS. There's nothing in the contract

Then within a reasonable time. Flopsy's post is indicative. It is your money, held on trust, so there is no reason for delay in returning it. Just remember to give them time to do it right, before coming down hard.