House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
canada dry

Plovdiv

Bulgarian ski and beach resort properties though still cheap are not necessarilly the best investment in Bulgaria. Some places like Plovdiv are often overlooked. This is a really lovely town, even if you dont buy anything there it is a great place to visit. It is often referred to as Bulgaria's Rome with its old rman ampitheatres, stadiums and roads, many of which are still remarkably intact. I think a place like this has a great future, especially when thinking of cultural tourism.

http://www.hiday.net/news.html?newsid=398

Bulgarian ski and beach resort properties though still cheap are not necessarilly the best investment in Bulgaria. Some places like Plovdiv are often overlooked. This is a really lovely town, even if you dont buy anything there it is a great place to visit. It is often referred to as Bulgaria's Rome with its old rman ampitheatres, stadiums and roads, many of which are still remarkably intact. I think a place like this has a great future, especially when thinking of cultural tourism.

£60K an apartment in Plovdiv? :rolleyes:

From other sites:

"In a town like Plovdiv there are more than 800 realestate agencies, more than 7000 properties are for sale or rent and numbers are constantly increasing. A few hundred people have bought new property last year and very few Brits.The lies are allowed to keep on, in hope of ripping off another few buyers."

60 000 is for an a apartment in one of the central areas. A one bedroom apartment without a garage you can get for as little as 30 000 euro. The advantage of staying in a place like Plovdiv is it has all the advantages of places like Paris and Rome, only difference, it is a hell of a lot cheaper!

advantage of staying in a place like Plovdiv is it has all the advantages of places like Paris and Rome, only difference, it is a hell of a lot cheaper!

OK! :P:P

Great to see that canadadry has got an alternative user name. Now he/she/it can have conversations with himself and keep on plugging that second rate website. Ingenious.

Been to Plovdiv, and it is indeed a wonderful old town, bags of history, well worth a visit.

As an investment? Not a chance, unless of course you speak the lingo, have mafia connections or are determined to lose money.

These places are dirt cheap to visit, what exactly is the investment angle?

Same goes for the rest of Bulgaria.Lovely people, but the place has a dark side. Holidays only.

But Canadadry likens Plovdiv to Paris! Are there racecourses like Auteuil and Longchamp where I could wager the heavy gains made on Plovdiv real estate to wade waist deep in filthy lucre.

But Canadadry likens Plovdiv to Paris! Are there racecourses like Auteuil and Longchamp where I could wager the heavy gains made on Plovdiv real estate to wade waist deep in filthy lucre.

My mistake.....I was quoting the honorable Catara......apologies Canadadry

I suspect people become desperate when they have bought something with an idea to appreciation only to find the asset walked south instead and begin to seek to offload it to a greater fool.

Plovdiv, the Paris of Bulgaria eh? 99.9% of people are going to say "where?", heck 90% of them are going to say "where is Bulgaria?". Lets consider the facts, Bulgaria has been heavily overbuilt to supply apartments to overseas investors. It was cheap after the fall of communism and you get pick up houses for peanuts. As the 'investors' came in, that cheapness vanished, leaving only the reputation for cheapness.

Now we see people saying 60k for an apartment in a no-name town is reasonable. Yet its a princely sum for a local. The only people who will pay this are other overseas investors in the the greater fool theory. Well those that paid this find themselves the greatest fool and end up holding the baby. That amount of money will buy you an apartment in civilized Europe, anywhere but the overpriced UK. Bulgaria is run by the mafia and selling overpriced and under spec apartments is a great way for them to make money.

The thing about the rich is that they have, above all else, an eye for value. I can see no value at these prices, there is not the scope for further price appreciation. The smart investors will be buying in the cheap places, the ones you have not heard of yet. Bulgaria is a 15 year old story.

Great to see that canadadry has got an alternative user name. Now he/she/it can have conversations with himself and keep on plugging that second rate website. Ingenious.

Thankyou Forestfire for your incisive comments. They are so good that I have copied them and am at present reading them whilst on the toilet. Right now they are behind me!

Why the hell do people keep coming here to plug shltty foreign "investments"? And why do they always use an identical formula? I suppose the person who is normally sceptical and doesn't usually go in for these kind of investments will be along shortly to announce that they have looked into this closely and that it's kosher?

Haven't any of you heard of Singing Pig? Go and shlt your spam on their forum! They might even enjoy it?

Why the hell do people keep coming here to plug shltty foreign "investments"? And why do they always use an identical formula?

They were stupid enough to buy in Bulgaria, so stupid enough to believe that it will work.

sorry but I spent a few days in Plovdiv a year ago and thought it was a miserable place. The Roman amphitheatre is tiny and surrounded by concrete and the ruins at the top of the hill were non-descript. The old town was pleasant but not much of it. I much preferred Veliko Tarnovo. We came across quite a few Brits in both places looking at houses and were surprised to find English Estate Agents 'as seen on A Place in the Sun' all over the place. But personally I would avoid I cant see a flood of UK second-homers - just too risky

PLOVDIV.

Properties LOsing Value. Dont InVest.

In most places the sun in round. In the Plovdiv picture it can be seen to to leave a trail across the sky, like a fireball. Yep, in Plovdiv, even astronomical objects are better.

Speaking from experience, Plovdiv is a sh!thole. Noisy, dirty overcrowded and very badly planned out. The same can be said for a lot of places here, but Plovdiv is something extra.

Rome of Bulgaria? Says more about Bulgaria than Plovdiv.

I've been there.

It can be a beautiful city, especially the old part.

I can imagine it could be an attractive spot to retire to, in the summers

plovdiv_at_sunset.jpg

If you want to buy.

Rent there first, and get to know the city, There is no RUSH now, I think

It is a wonderful city and there is always plenty to do. You dont have to buy there you can stay for a holiday!

http://www.hiday.net/news.html?newsid=399

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=105097

Albena Jsc is freezing its projects in sunny Albena, profits are down 22%.

Canada Dry, please explain to us why anyone on the earth shoul invest in Bulgaria when the county seeks Help from IMF ->

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n185794

Unstable parliament structure,weak coalition goverments that achieve nothing. The country is following the steps of the Baltics where you can see some horible GDP drops.Houseprices are in freefall, negative growth, populaion is shrinking, and even top apartments should cost less than 30k compared to wages.

http://danskeanalyse.danskebank.dk/link/Eu..._CEE_230209.pdf

Euro area: Exposure to the crisis in Central and Eastern Europe

They will have to hope for help from the international

institutions – most prominently IMF, the World Bank

and the European Commission. These institutions

have already coordinated rescue packages for Latvia

and Hungary. The IMF has also provided assistance

for Ukraine and Belarus. IMF has a USD 250 billion

reserve, but even the IMF may have to be selective in

terms of where and how much help they can provide.

Edited by alabala

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=105097

Albena Jsc is freezing its projects in sunny Albena, profits are down 22%.

Canada Dry, please explain to us why anyone on the earth shoul invest in Bulgaria when the county seeks Help from IMF ->

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n185794

Unstable parliament structure,weak coalition goverments that achieve nothing. The country is following the steps of the Baltics where you can see some horible GDP drops.Houseprices are in freefall, negative growth, populaion is shrinking, and even top apartments should cost less than 30k compared to wages.

http://danskeanalyse.danskebank.dk/link/Eu..._CEE_230209.pdf

Euro area: Exposure to the crisis in Central and Eastern Europe

They will have to hope for help from the international

institutions – most prominently IMF, the World Bank

and the European Commission. These institutions

have already coordinated rescue packages for Latvia

and Hungary. The IMF has also provided assistance

for Ukraine and Belarus. IMF has a USD 250 billion

reserve, but even the IMF may have to be selective in

terms of where and how much help they can provide.

It depends what you mean by investment, people buy a property in another country for different reasons. If you soley buy for the intention of making a hefty profit in a few years time then you are taking a big risk wherever you buy. I personally think though Bulgaria is a good place to buy property, being relatively cheap compared to other major european countries and you also have the opportunity to live in your property; rent it out; have it as a holiday home; use it as a base to travel to other countries close by - Romania, Greece, Turkey etc. As well as this if you stay for longer periods you have the added attraction of low living costs. Having said that Bulgaria is not for everyone, everybody is different and Bulgaria has its down side like any other country - low wages; poor infrastructure; poor rental returns in certain areas etc. http://www.hiday.net/