House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
porshiebo

Brown Marks On Surface Of Silver Bar. Does This Lower It's Value?

Hi I'm thinking of buying the silver bar shown in the picture below, but am worried about the brown mark (tarnishing?) in the bottom right corner of it. Does this lower the value of the bar?

Is it a serious fault, or can it be easily removed through polishing or something else? Thanks very much :)

zvykbq.jpg

This might be useful to you, home methods for removing tarnish.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4569718_silver-tarnish.html

Mind you, the bar looks like it's had a small chunk out of it where it's tarnished. Unless you're getting it for a decent price below new or good condition, then you might want to give it a miss, as it's ultimate resale value will probably be affected which could leave you out of pocket.

You could always forward the photo of the bar to a dealer to ask what they'd pay for it compared to a bar in top condition, that'll give you an idea of its comparable value.

Edited by General Congreve

Looks like it's been sitting against something damp. I can't see that it would make any difference to the value of the bar. Silver tarnishes anyway, even just through reaction with the air, so there's not much you can do about it. Bullion is just priced by weight, not looks, so as long as it weighs ok there won't be a problem.

All the people who are saying that it should be lower priced due to looks are actually devaluing their savings. We stack assuming the price we will get back. I'd personally offer the spot price, any lower and your screwing the investment potential for yourselves.

rub it on you t-sirt and it will come off

I know PMs are a macho investment but really. Too much torso on display is not good for anyone,