House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

I Have A Mouse In My (rented) House!

- got back from bank hol weekend away to find bread mix packets been chewed neatly into - this is the first sign we have seen at all, so presuming he's only just moved in. no droppings.

- just seen the critter - didn't look like a baby, not a rat either, guessing it's an adult mouse. possibly only one, but not sure

Questions:

(1) should I just phone my landlord (very businesslike agency, like them) up and ask if they have any mouse traps, I am trying to protect their investment afterall?

(2) alternatively/additionally, what else should I do, what is most cost effective way to treat an early stage mouse invasion?

cheers all...

- got back from bank hol weekend away to find bread mix packets been chewed neatly into - this is the first sign we have seen at all, so presuming he's only just moved in. no droppings.

- just seen the critter - didn't look like a baby, not a rat either, guessing it's an adult mouse. possibly only one, but not sure

Questions:

(1) should I just phone my landlord (very businesslike agency, like them) up and ask if they have any mouse traps, I am trying to protect their investment afterall?

(2) alternatively/additionally, what else should I do, what is most cost effective way to treat an early stage mouse invasion?

cheers all...

Ring your landlord? You're kidding, right?

Buy a mousetrap and bait it with some cheese or chocolate. They are very quick, very effective and very humane.

Or get a cat.

Questions:

cheers all...

Are you able to sub-let?

Questions:

cheers all...

I had the same last year. One mouse eating the crisps in the pantry. I informed the Landlord that I was buying a trap. Bought a trap, stuck a bit of chocolate on the trap and snap

Mouse no more.

I did explain to the LL that if there were more than one then I would expect them to sort the issue out. They agreed.

If you have no desire to kill then you can buy humane traps that capture but I was told that you may need to take Mr Mouse about a mile away before dumping him off as they tend to find a way back.

Chocolate is the best bait.

I only had the one mouse thankfully.

Good luck.

Questions:

cheers all...

1) Depends: Are you in the country or the city? Country agents may presume you have the nous to deal with the problem. City Agencies would just phone rentamousekiller etc & charge LL

2) You can try getting them yourselves.

firstly go around & try & find where they are getting in & block all holes. If a mouse can get it head through a hole it can get its whole body through. Badly sealed gaps around pipe holes (eg dishwasher outlets etc) are favourite.

3) Hit them hard. Don't be sentimental, Don't go vegetarian. Hit them hard.

Traps are fine but do NOT use humane ones (you are supposed to release them a few miles from home but mice are better than homing pigeons.) Kill them. Set lots of traps & Use poison. Best to buy from a 'Farmers' store. eg Mole Valley Farmers

Remember if you are having a problem now, when there should be plenty of food for mice in the wild, by winter you will be infested. They breed like........mice!

Don't piss about hit 'em hard! Best of luck

smashing - well I'll try sorting it myself first with a trap and not mention to landlord unless gets worse

one other thing, if Mr/Mrs Mouse has nibbled a packet of breadmix, can I still make a loaf from the breadmix in the breadmaker, or might I catch a terrible disease?

(I'm thinking about today's tea...)

1) Depends: Are you in the country or the city? Country agents may presume you have the nous to deal with the problem. City Agencies would just phone rentamousekiller etc & charge LL

2) You can try getting them yourselves.

firstly go around & try & find where they are getting in & block all holes. If a mouse can get it head through a hole it can get its whole body through. Badly sealed gaps around pipe holes (eg dishwasher outlets etc) are favourite.

3) Hit them hard. Don't be sentimental, Don't go vegetarian. Hit them hard.

Traps are fine but do NOT use humane ones (you are supposed to release them a few miles from home but mice are better than homing pigeons.) Kill them. Set lots of traps & Use poison. Best to buy from a 'Farmers' store. eg Mole Valley Farmers

Remember if you are having a problem now, when there should be plenty of food for mice in the wild, by winter you will be infested. They breed like........mice!

Don't piss about hit 'em hard! Best of luck

city, and I think the reason we have it/them is possibly because we got a breadmaker for christmas and have been creating large amounts of crumbs ever since...

city, and I think the reason we have them is possibly because we got a breadmaker for christmas and have been creating large amounts of crumbs ever since...

In that case another suggestion. Remove the food source. Put bread in stong wooden breadbin inside a wall cupboard.

we had a similar problem in country when we bought a breadmaker. Put all ingredients (flour, sugar yeast etc ) in wall cupborads pref. in tin containers.

smashing - well I'll try sorting it myself first with a trap and not mention to landlord unless gets worse

one other thing, if Mr/Mrs Mouse has nibbled a packet of breadmix, can I still make a loaf from the breadmix in the breadmaker, or might I catch a terrible disease?

I wouldn't touch anything that Mr Mouse has availed himself to - no scientific basis here, just good 'ol irrational fears.

As for traps, the glue ones are great, i've caught loads of the buggers with these (and the traditional ones). With the glue traps, once you've caught one, carefully cut round the mouse in a 1" - 3" rectangle and -hey presto - surfboarding mice. Fun for all the family.

As a 'city folk' you'd be surprised at how much food gets contaminated with mouse shit & piss. (When they scurry along they S & P as they run!). Lots of (almost all) food gets contaminated. My advice: how do YOU feel about the possibility?. Mice probably S&P'd in the breadmix in the factory where it was made........but on the other hand 'what the eye doesn't see the mind doesn't worry about' so you might want to chuck the spoiled stuff.

BTW its much better bread (& cheaper) if you avoid using breadmix & use the actual ingredients. Your machine will have recepies in the instructions.

Or get a cat.

Cant beat a cat: people forget, this is how and why we have domesticated cats. That and Bast-worship.

Of course, your landlord may not agree. Could you borrow a cat for a short time (not as silly as it sounds - lending a cat out is cheaper than paying cattery fees and the cat has a better time, too).

As a 'city folk' you'd be surprised at how much food gets contaminated with mouse shit & piss. (When they scurry along they S & P as they run!). Lots of (almost all) food gets contaminated. My advice: how do YOU feel about the possibility?. Mice probably S&P'd in the breadmix in the factory where it was made........but on the other hand 'what the eye doesn't see the mind doesn't worry about' so you might want to chuck the spoiled stuff.

BTW its much better bread (& cheaper) if you avoid using breadmix & use the actual ingredients. Your machine will have recepies in the instructions.

I feel fine about it frankly, so will eat as per normal

I appreciate the bread mix vs do it yourself - but I'm a city bloke and couldn't be bothered - grateful for the advice tho.

one other thing - Asda breadmix is pretty poor and won't be getting it again - additionally Mr/Mrs Mouse appears to have easily nibbled into the Asda bread mix packets, but apparently been unable to penetrate Hovis breadmix packets...

By the way, don't bother with glue traps or silly 'humane' traps.

The good old-fashion 'Little Snapper' wooden spring loaded traps (about £1 from a hardware shop) do the job remarkably well. Don't bother looking for holes either unless you have a persistent problem. Mice will find the tiniest of cracks and holes to get through (insert Richard Gere joke here).

Cant beat a cat: people forget, this is how and why we have domesticated cats. That and Bast-worship.

Of course, your landlord may not agree. Could you borrow a cat for a short time (not as silly as it sounds - lending a cat out is cheaper than paying cattery fees and the cat has a better time, too).

smashing idea - and I love cats

but partner allergic, so trap it is then - plus I think it is currently a minor infestation...

big tupperware box for future breadmix storage too...

Some cats bring live mice into the house and give it to you as a present! :o

The builder across the road had an unwanted house guest for 3 days when their cat "lost" a mouse in the house.

Some cats bring live mice into the house and give it to you as a present! :o

The builder across the road had an unwanted house guest for 3 days when their cat "lost" a mouse in the house.

True.

You should borrow one like mine, then. When I first got her, as a kitten, she lept six feet into the air to catch a fly buzzing around at head level..... behaviour like that caused me to name her Xena (she is 12, so it was current back then). She has only brought me about 3 presents in 12 years, all dead, and she is not shy about drawing my blood, either. There are cats who see you as their mum, and there are cats who like killing things. I recommend the latter for this purpose.

Now, where are those elastoplasts....

Mice are a big problem as they chew the electrical cables. I bought a brand new house in 2000 and found I had visitors in less than two weeks of moving in.

I used the good old fashioned snap trap, loaded with Chocolate. The mice were coming aound the outside of a hole drilled for a 15mm pipe for a wash hand basin in my en-suite. I put the trap down, closed the door slowly then heard the trap snap. I thought that I had set it off closing the door. Opened the door to reset the trap and the little field mouse was happily wiggling the last breaths of his short life.

As I dont like killing anything, I bought an electrical sonar alarm which is wired to the mains. It repels everything including birds who no longer sh1te on my roof.

If you have no desire to kill then you can buy humane traps that capture but I was told that you may need to take Mr Mouse about a mile away before dumping him off as they tend to find a way back.

Chocolate is the best bait.

Good luck.

hey, first post...go me!

I have a friend who keeps reptiles. He breads mice for the purpose, and before anyone says it, I know it isnt legal, but his snakes cam from someone else who fed live, and they will not go back to carion.

So he has a break out from his breeding stock. Recovers all of them except one. This Steve McQueen mouse evades capture for weeks. His kids find it in cereal boxes. It eats the internal wiring of his PC.

So he gets a little peeved and pops into the pound shop, purchasing "THREE FOR A POUND" snap type mouse traps.

Upon arriving home he proudly displays these to his wife and kids. Tears and waling ensue. His wife ( yoga practising muesli munching hippy ) and his kids decide this is cruel and insist he purchases a humane trap. twenty five pounds later he sets the trap up in his kitchen, baiting it with peanut butter. Next day he gets up, trap sprung, peanut butter eaten, mouse gone.

This goes on for a week.

Im sitting in his house having a shandy with him, when I hear scurrying behind his computer desk. He tells me his woe's on the mouse. The trap is useless as he isnt there when it happens, so the mouse is escaping before he gets up in the morning.

While we're talking we hear a click from his kitchen. He runs through and shouts " GOT HIM!". Sure enough he has a mouse caught in his twenty five pound humane trap, which he proudly shows me. then he walks towards one of his snake tanks, opens the top and DROPS IT IN.

??????????????

Took ages to get the beer I sprayed out of his carpet too.

:lol:

Welcome lithanwif..... First post on the OT sub-forum, too: Excellent. This is normally where the oldsters shuffle off to when we get bored with seeing the same things trotted out for the n-th time on the main forum. ;)

Cheers GM.

I lurked for ages before I erm "cof" bought a house last year.

to be honest though it was a repo, price down 120k. So I got the house of my dreams for peanuts. Isn't that why we're here?

I usually end up in the OT section at some point. I sit next to a real TFH type, everythings a conspiracy. So I often sit and read threads for the other side. Fair enough sometimes its the same side with more links as back up, but you get my point.

if you are in the city it's unlikely to be just the one of them.

the place i rented in london suddenly had mice about this time 2 years ago and they drove me mad. I killed about half a dozen of them, each time thinking that this was the last one. But london mice are pretty clever and often take the bait from traps without setting it off.

in the end i called the landlords who paid to have the building de-moused. after that - no more mice.

He could make use of the OP's bread maker.

..that may be of no use in the post-apocalyptic tfh scenario - grilled mice anyone?

He could make use of the OP's bread maker.

excellent, fingers work faster than brain. Perhaps I've been in IT too long.

Although breaded mouse would be quite nice I would imagine.

london mice are pretty clever and often take the bait from traps without setting it off.

:lol: Clued up Southern mice. As opposed to your flat cap wearing, pigeon fancying, bitter swiggin Northern Mice.