House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

Does E-bay Have A Point Anymore?

I've been doing a bit of "ebaying" recently. I'm after a Nikon.

Most of the ads are from "power sellers" with their own on-line stores. There are very few real auctions. Those that advertise "No Reserve" often won't let you place a bid below the "opening bid", which can be a miniscule fraction below the price you'd pay on the high street. So how they can claim "no reserve" is a mystery to me.

Many ads are "buy it now" with no opportunity to "make an offer".

I've seen plenty of examples of people paying way over the odds as an auction has got heated.

In a nutshell, the idea was good, but now the "power sellers" have taken over, it's lost its sheen. It seems that the professional e-bayers buy everything up and re-list it in their "shops".

Or have I just been unlucky?

In a nutshell, the idea was good, but now the "power sellers" have taken over, it's lost its sheen. It seems that the professional e-bayers buy everything up and re-list it in their "shops".

Yup, I guess it's just the free market!

I think the private sellers should be separated from the "professional on-line shops"!

Far too many of them now! This may be EBay's un-doing!

Lost it's sheen? It has! :(

Most of the ads are from "power sellers" with their own on-line stores. There are very few real auctions. Those that advertise "No Reserve" often won't let you place a bid below the "opening bid", which can be a miniscule fraction below the price you'd pay on the high street. So how they can claim "no reserve" is a mystery to me.

I've seen plenty of examples of people paying way over the odds as an auction has got heated.

It's it's anything like Canon, prices have gone up in some cases by hundreds of pounds since the collapse of the pound. Maybe the cameras simply cost much more than you think.

When I search for things I need, in the left hand colum you can select "Auction Only" and "Used'. Thus eliminating all the buy it nows and new stuff.

Also something to consider is that the item you are buying might be seasonal maybe more people want a camera as it comes up to the summer for holidays and days out. I'm trying to get a garden climbing frame, but they're going for quite a bit more than I want to pay. I should have thought ahead and bought in the winter.

If you are looking for a bargain on eBay for a new, high value electrical item (like an SLR camera)... Forget about it.

amazon, etc. or normal on-line stores seem to be able to match (if not beat) most eBayers when it comes to many new items. In fact quite a few eBay sellers seem to be basing their pricing strategy on the fact that people will presume it must be a bargain if it's on eBay.

If however, you are looking for used, lower value stuff, including hard to find or discontinued items, etc. it's still very useful. Got myself 4 titanium bolts for a very good price the other day and the only alternative was to buy a full set (of 12) which is more money and a huge waste when I only need 4.

If however, you are looking for used, lower value stuff, including hard to find or discontinued items, etc.

That's exactly what I use it for. Drive pins for a 1970s rotovator that you can't buy for love or money in real shops....eBay, £10.

Having been burgled, and found the stuff on ebay, I now realise that a lot of the decent used tools are nicked. All of this "I bought it but I don't use it" is bull - they're either fencing it, or buying stuff out the back of a van for £50 and then flogging it on eBay for £500. The glory of this is that neither eBay not the police give a shit. The worst that will happen to them if the item is identified is that they lose it - no charges whatsoever. All they need to say is "I didn't know it was nicked, I bought it at a market".

If you are looking for a bargain on eBay for a new, high value electrical item (like an SLR camera)... Forget about it.

amazon, etc. or normal on-line stores seem to be able to match (if not beat) most eBayers when it comes to many new items. In fact quite a few eBay sellers seem to be basing their pricing strategy on the fact that people will presume it must be a bargain if it's on eBay.

If however, you are looking for used, lower value stuff, including hard to find or discontinued items, etc. it's still very useful. Got myself 4 titanium bolts for a very good price the other day and the only alternative was to buy a full set (of 12) which is more money and a huge waste when I only need 4.

+1

I've rarely had a bargain on eBay when buying (or attempting to buy) high value consumer electrical items. Once I did "win" a top of the range 50" Panasonic plasma on eBay for £1010 (when the store price was £1800). They had sold a handful of £300 televisions, but they were then selling these top-end TVs. The seller was only 13 miles from me, so I said I would collect and pay cash on collection. They wanted me to do a bank transfer before I came to collect! They then changed their story and said they didn't have the TV there and it would be delivered directly from the manufacturer. I got cold feet and said I wasn't parting with any money without seeing the TV first. It was a scam as I suspected and they "sold" and pocketed at least £5000 of money before eBay shut them down.

I'd be very reluctant to buy a camera from a seller and get them to post it out to me. Last year I won a Sony camera for £180. The cheapest price on the net was £225, so I thought I had got a bargain. The seller had already sold around 5 of these and they had all left positive feedback. The seller asked if I could send a cheque to save on PayPal fees which I did. They didn't send the item out and kept my money. eBay terminated their account but didn't want to know about helping me get my money back.

I have found several absolute bargains on eBay. These are normally bulky items where the seller has specified "local pick-up only" in the listing and started the item at a low start price. I bought a slightly scruffy 1970's G-plan solid teak unit for 99p!

It's a cheap way to buy Chinese Imports instead of waiting for a rebranded version to arrive.

Having seen the low quality of some Chinese imports e.g. "Hondaman" generators, or "Boschmann" drills, I would say that you are better to avoid this rubbish completely.

False economy.

People will pay what they think something is worth. If there are no cheap Nikon's on eBay is is because people will be willing to pay more than you are, if they weren't they'd be available at the price you'd like to pay. You're dilemma is a bit like bemoaning the fact you'd love to buy a Ferrari, but no one will sell you one for the price of a Mondeo.

Also, as another poster mentioned, steer clear of expensive consumer electronics on eBay, if you get them well below cost it's probably a scam. If you're paying near new cost then it's not worth the saving for the hassle you could encounter. I have a friend who managed to buy a faulty PS3 and LCD TV from eBay and never got a refund, so I know first hand. If you want a camera at the best price either go to Amazon or better still, check out Kelkoo.co.uk

It wouldn't be funny, it would be a tragedy for the country. The BNP have no answers just posturing and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Still I was walking in Newcastle yesterday and people were out in force opposing the BNP and handing out leaflets outlining why people should not vote for them as well as raising awareness of their bigotry. While there are fine people about like this the BNP will struggle.

I use ebay not a great deal these days. I very rarely sell on there any more because the fees are quite high and you have to accept paypal payments - which are also expensive. Obviously, I don't expect it to be free but I do feel that the combined fees you have to lay out are a rip off, quite honestly. Also, you can't leave negative feed back for buyers any more. The whole point about ebay originally was that it was open and transparent and even handed. It isn't any more. Another thing that pisses me off about ebay is the list of stuff they won't let you sell.

I tend to use it just for buying stuff now and only stuff I can't get elsewhere.

I use ebay not a great deal these days. I very rarely sell on there any more because the fees are quite high and you have to accept paypal payments - which are also expensive. Obviously, I don't expect it to be free but I do feel that the combined fees you have to lay out are a rip off, quite honestly. Also, you can't leave negative feed back for buyers any more. The whole point about ebay originally was that it was open and transparent and even handed. It isn't any more. Another thing that pisses me off about ebay is the list of stuff they won't let you sell.

I tend to use it just for buying stuff now and only stuff I can't get elsewhere.

+1

i have only sold 2 things on ebay in over 4 years, i mainly buy. Normally for random stuff i refuse to pay over the odds for, like stylus's for my Phone, from a phone shop/website its about £15+ postage for 3, (only come in packs of 3) on ebay dispatched from Hong Kong £2.99 inc postage for 3

one thing i did sell was a neckless with a Ford anglia car Pendant on it, i got it years ago payed £40 for it 9Ct gold etc, put it on ebay with startnig price of 99p and a £30 reserve. when the auction ended it went for £110 + postage i was extremly surprised

It is still very good for buying second hand quality items that have been discontinued.

I got a centre speaker to match my main speakers last night. 5 years old 2K GBP when new I apid 230 quid and it will still put most top quality centres that are on the market new today to shame. My main speakers I got of ebay 3.5K new I paid 800 quid.

That's exactly what I use it for. Drive pins for a 1970s rotovator that you can't buy for love or money in real shops....eBay, £10.

Having been burgled, and found the stuff on ebay, I now realise that a lot of the decent used tools are nicked. All of this "I bought it but I don't use it" is bull - they're either fencing it, or buying stuff out the back of a van for £50 and then flogging it on eBay for £500. The glory of this is that neither eBay not the police give a shit. The worst that will happen to them if the item is identified is that they lose it - no charges whatsoever. All they need to say is "I didn't know it was nicked, I bought it at a market".

Totally agree with this.

I use ebay for stuff I can't find anywhere else and only from sellers I know and trust.

After having been a victim of theft myself twice in one month I'm convinced alot of stuff on ebay is nicked and I would rather stab myself in the neck then put money into the hands of these thieves. And anyone who buys stolen goods or turns a blind eye to it are equally guilty of causing that sick feeling we experience of being robbed in the dead of night. If they can't sell it they won't nick it.

I've spent abit of time engraving car reg numbers and post codes on a few random items incase they get nicked. That way if the police search them they can prove the goods are stolen. What else can we do.

I've been trialling ebay as another selling channel and have been pleased with the results. Put a few things on auction that can't really lose money and everything else buy-it-now.

I would say that people have got to used to their being 'bargains' on ebay. For genuine bargains there needs to be a steady supply of either bankrupt stock or stuff that's nicked. Many, many seller's lists of items on ebay look like a textbook profile of the types of items shoplifters target.

We used to have a strategy of merchandising slow selling, obscure type products anywhere in the shops. The thinking was they'd be very difficult for shoplifters to move on. Ebay has totally changed all that, no product is safe anymore.

There are genuine bargains on there. Stuff we're selling, particularly if you combined purchases, would be a good 10% cheaper than the High St and delivered to your door. For me there's a fair bit of cost-saving even over a, currently available, rent-free store.

If someone buys a couple of items all I've got to pay is 6.5% of purchase cost + <£4 nextday shipping + on average <£1 Paypal. These are miniscule overheads compared to the cost of selling goods through a bricks and mortar shop.

The best bargain I ever bought on ebay was quite recently. Typical case of poor seller description/not really knowing what they've got plus a large heavy lump that'd be hard to collect without already having necessary transport. It was two nearly new pallet wrapping machines that I got both for the £99 start. I reckon, probably worth £15k+ new.

I also find it indispensable for classic car parts on most of which I regard just finding them a huge bonus.

Well, thanks for all the comments.

I decided that most of you agree that ebay is great for hard-to-find-stuff, but not so good for newer stuff, especially electronics.

I tried focussing the search options more, and watched them dwindle to almost nothing as I kicked out 'new' and selected 'auction only'. There were very few auction items that were genuinely 'no reserve' due to the starting bids.... meaning you can't bid lower!

So, as luck would have it, I found exactly what I was after on sale in a high street shop. Ex-display. Discontinued about a year or so ago. After mucho haggling I walked out with.... 80% off!!! Yowza!

No carriage to pay, no angst, waiting for the package after you've paid, wondering if you've been scammed.... and you know exactly what you're buying.

Maybe high street shops will make a comeback one day???

Last year I bought a huge 37" Toshiba CRT TV set off Ebay complete with a nice glass stand and with its surround-sound 5.1 speakers still in their plastic wrappers, unused.

Bought new 3 or 4 years back by a TV gadget freak when it was Toshiba's BEST telly for £1600.

Gadget freak now HAD to have a 50 inch plasma telly (for another £1999! - why pay so much to watch a load of sh1te?), so I got his old one in perfect nick, for £120. Its perfect, and the picture quality is way better than many flat-screen TVs. And given that my telly is in a corner of the living room, a flatscreen one wouldn't even save me any space.

Bargain!

For secondhand stuff like this Ebay is brilliant.

I would be wary of apparently "new" high end electronics - these things have a definite market price, and if someone is selling much below that price, its either a scam or stolen.

Guest X-QUORK
Also, you can't leave negative feed back for buyers any more.

Are you sure about that? Last time I looked there was a negative feedback option.

It's still my first port of call to check the prices against everywhere else. But the beauty of ebay is that EVERYTHING is on there, if it exists you can find it there, even if you don't know what it's called someone will have made it easy to find.

It's still my first port of call to check the prices against everywhere else. But the beauty of ebay is that EVERYTHING is on there, if it exists you can find it there, even if you don't know what it's called someone will have made it easy to find.

It's not much cop for selling either.I took in a Vauxhall Cavalier 1986 © reg. This car was literally as new with only 34,000 miles and serviced every 1,000.I put in on E bay and got a bid of £375,which was under the reserve of £500.For this I was prepared to put a brand new MOT on the car too.I was phoned up by this guy (not the bidder)and I told him that if he would pay £450 the car was his.He became quite abusive saying that it was a very high price and that the paintwork was bad and it needed a re-spray.How he knew this I have no idea because the car was immaculate and looked it on all the pics I posted.It seems to attract nutters.

Used to sell loads of stuff on ebay, but can't be arsed anymore as the fees (including paypal fees) are extortionate. Not really worth the effort on some things which now end up at the charity shop or in the bin.

It's not much cop for selling either.I took in a Vauxhall Cavalier 1986 © reg. This car was literally as new with only 34,000 miles and serviced every 1,000.I put in on E bay and got a bid of £375,which was under the reserve of £500.For this I was prepared to put a brand new MOT on the car too.I was phoned up by this guy (not the bidder)and I told him that if he would pay £450 the car was his.He became quite abusive saying that it was a very high price and that the paintwork was bad and it needed a re-spray.How he knew this I have no idea because the car was immaculate and looked it on all the pics I posted.It seems to attract nutters.

I don't "get" selling used cars on Ebay - the whole thing with older cars is the condition - yet people seem happy to bid on the basis of looking at a few pics!

That said, I sold an old Triumph Herald I got for free for £500 on there last year.

And then, totally on a whim, purchased myself a 1962 Humber Super Snipe (a very large old saloon car) for £1500 a few months later.

Not true though. There's sh1t loads of stuff that ebay won't let you list. There's also stuff which they don't disallow but which gets knocked off anyway because of fears of it being fake when it isn't.

I don't "get" selling used cars on Ebay - the whole thing with older cars is the condition - yet people seem happy to bid on the basis of looking at a few pics!

That said, I sold an old Triumph Herald I got for free for £500 on there last year.

And then, totally on a whim, purchased myself a 1962 Humber Super Snipe (a very large old saloon car) for £1500 a few months later.

Yes.I agree re:Used Cars. This was something a bit different though due to the age and condition.

Ebay has changed quite a lot over the past year or two and I would definitely agree for the worse.

Shill bidding is rife - where many sellers ("Power-sellers" are usually the worst) list items with "no reserve" at a low starting price. In the last two days, the price is bid up quite quickly by (now anonymous) bidders with very little feedback and 100% bid activity with that seller. Also odd how all of the same type of item always goes for a very similar minimum price - pretty obvious. Ebay ignores any complaint about this as these sellers generate lots of income for them!!

Often private sellers list their items alongside those mentioned above and theirs sell at a fraction of the price of the shilled items.

On Ebay forums it seems that some sellers quite openly defend their shilling by arguing that they do not want to "sell their goods for peanuts".

Because sellers are unable to leave negative feedback for buyers any more, when I have listed various things for sale, a good 10% of these now go unpaid for and have to be relisted / sent to second chance offer. This did not used to happen.

"Unpaid item strikes" as a means of dealing with this are a farce as nobody can see these on the buyer's profile.

Searches are also cluttered up with vaguely related items placed in a more desirable and incorrect category, (e.g. thousands of cheap furniture covers listed under wooden garden furniture sets) or with cheap junk listed under a more desirable brand name - unless, as someone suggested previously, you select used items only, which is not always what you want.