House Price Crash Forum

So how come after losing billions and taking £37bn off the taxpayer in bailout funds they can afford to pay staff to sit around and chat with customers in branches?

Noticed the last month the increased number of ads from financial institutions, they went quiet for a while with B&B adverts disappearing overnight.

Just this afternoon, HSBC, Natwest, Lloyds, Halifax, Alliance and Leicester to name a few, prime time these ads must cost a fortune, is this a sign that cash flow for these companies is getting better?

Are you really this naive.

They are paying people to sit with customers and try and use hard sales techniques for them to take products they don't need.

This hasn't changed since I left 8 years ago.

it proves they know how to spend our money on ads, the government does the same!

Aye, I'm fed up of being lectured to by this government. If its not an apple with a teardrop running down it then its a radio message warning about the dangers of text-driving. Still, its only my money they're wasting after all, so its unimportant.

How can they make money when there is little money around to be made, better to help by encouraging savings and reducing debt ... who now pays the bankers?

How can they make money when there is little money around to be made, better to help by encouraging savings and reducing debt ... who now pays the bankers?

How do you encourage savers when their savings rates are nowhere near competitive and never have been.

Natwest and the other big banks have for years relied on customer loyalty, this is no-longer possible as people are much more aware of what products are the best.

How do you encourage savers when their savings rates are nowhere near competitive and never have been.

Natwest and the other big banks have for years relied on customer loyalty, this is no-longer possible as people are much more aware of what products are the best.

The problem is, no one wanted to save when the rates were high...now no one, who can borrow wants to borrow now the rates are low. :unsure:

So how come after losing billions and taking £37bn off the taxpayer in bailout funds they can afford to pay staff to sit around and chat with customers in branches?

sounds like fun

tree_20people_small.jpg

Probably because they are tyring to charge you for the priveldge. They keep trying to convince me that I would be better off with an Advantage Gold or Premium Gold account. 'Better Off' my a**e. The former will will cost £12.95/mth, the latter £19.95/mth, and what do you get? A bit of extra face time with the bank staff for speciual 'advice' and lots of bundled insurance and breakdown recovery which I already have.

What a scam. Does anyone actually sign up for this? £240/yr for what?

Probably because they are tyring to charge you for the priveldge. They keep trying to convince me that I would be better off with an Advantage Gold or Premium Gold account. 'Better Off' my a**e. The former will will cost £12.95/mth, the latter £19.95/mth, and what do you get? A bit of extra face time with the bank staff for speciual 'advice' and lots of bundled insurance and breakdown recovery which I already have.

What a scam. Does anyone actually sign up for this? £240/yr for what?

You get 1% off the SVR on your mortgage with one of these accounts, so possibly just worth it in some circumstances IF the SVR is competitive and you can't get a better deal. Apart from that, it's completely useless.

Still, I do enjoy the conversation with the sales staff... sorry, "customer service advisors" EVERY time I go in to pay in a cheque. Goes something like this:

Cashier-trying-to-earn-a-bonus: Would you like to join our Advantage Account?

Me: What are the benefits?

CTTEAB: Well, you get free travel insurance

Me: I get that at work

CTTEAB: And mobile phone insurance

Me: Don't have a mobile

CTTEAB: And a good deal on car insurance

Me: I don't drive

CTTEAB (desperately thinking): What about the cheap deals on CDs and theatre tickets?

Me: Amazon and lastminute are cheaper. Let's face it, it's not going to work for me is it?

CTTEAB (sniffily): Would there be anything else I can do for you today, Sir?

I'd been meaning to post about those NatWest ads...they are the worst on TV, is it just me that finds them incredibly patronising? Bad enough being spoken to like you're a 5-year-old, but when its being lectured to about money and from a bank that basically bankrupted itself, its even worse!!

I will never - as long as I am in the black, ever, as long as I have a tongue in my head, alllow myself to be lectured to by a bank.

If I'm 95 - decrepid, stooped and have one penny to my name - and just one spotty little c**t in a suit comes up to me and tries to tell me about money - he will be VERY, VERY sorry.

No banker today, or for that matter anyone in financial services of pretty much any sort, would have a job, the promise of a job, any savings or any house without OUR intervention! US!! THE TAXPAYERS. WE MAY NOT HAVE HAD A SAY IN OUR DONATIONS..... BY BY GOD I WILL NEVER LET THEM FORGET WHAT WE HAVE DONE FOR THEM.

DONT YOU DARE TRY TO ADVISE ME ON MONEY

Edited by sbn

I will never - as long as I am in the black, ever, as long as I have a tongue in my head, alllow myself to be lectured to by a bank.

If I'm 95 - decrepid, stooped and have one penny to my name - and just one spotty little c**t in a suit comes up to me and tries to tell me about money - he will be VERY, VERY sorry.

No banker today, or for that matter anyone in financial services of pretty much any sort, would have a job, the promise of a job, any savings or any house without OUR intervention! US!! THE TAXPAYERS. WE MAY NOT HAVE HAD A SAY IN OUR DONATIONS..... BY BY GOD I WILL NEVER LET THEM FORGET WHAT WE HAVE DONE FOR THEM.

DONT YOU DARE TRY TO ADVISE ME ON MONEY

Yup.....

I`m also with sbn on the bank thing.

I always give the financial organisations a hard time anyway, as I`m pretty clued up on the best deals and I certainly don`t need to be "sold" a product.

The best part of this is that NatWest actually went through their own near-bankrupty in the 1990's making precisely the same mistakes with poorly understood fnancial deriviatives that their new owner, RBS, then made in spectacular fashion in the 2000's. Even a Rat learns?? This part of the History of the Credit Crunch (NatWest's prototype f*ck up) seem to have been forgotten......

'...NatWest's expansion strategy hit trouble with the stock market crash of 1987 and involvement in the financial scandal surrounding the collapse of Blue Arrow. The Department of Trade and Industry report on the affair was critical of the bank's management and resulted in the resignation of several members of the board, including then chairman Lord Boardman. Later, the bank would divest its overseas subsidiaries. The North American operations were sold to Fleet Bank and Hongkong Bank of Canada respectively. Thereafter the bank concentrated on its core domestic business as the restyled NatWest Group, reflecting its modern positioning as a portfolio of businesses. In 1993, the NatWest Tower was devastated by a Provisional IRA bomb and the bank vacated the building, subsequently selling it. Then, in 1997, NatWest Markets, the corporate and investment banking arm formed in 1992, revealed a £50m loss had been discovered, escalating to £90.5m after further investigations. Investor and shareholder confidence was so badly shaken that the Bank of England had to instruct the board of directors to resist calls for the resignation of its most senior executives in an effort to draw a line under the affair. The bank's internal controls and risk management were severely criticised in 2000 and its aggressive push into investment banking questioned, after a lengthy investigation by the Securities and Futures Authority. The bank's move into complicated derivative products that it did not fully understand seemed to indicate poor management. By the end of 1997 parts of NatWest Markets had been sold, others becoming Greenwich NatWest in 1998.

In 1999 NatWest announced a merger with Legal & General in a friendly £10.7bn deal, the first between a bank and an insurance company in UK history. The move received a poor reception in the London financial markets, and NatWest's share price fell substantially. In response, the Governor and Company of the Bank of Scotland began a hostile takeover bid for the bank, an audacious move for the much smaller Scottish bank. The Bank of Scotland's aim was to break-up the NatWest Group and dispose of its non-retail assets. NatWest was forced to abandon its merger, but refused to agree to a takeover by a rival bank. The Royal Bank of Scotland tabled another hostile offer and trumped the Bank of Scotland with a £21bn bid. The takeover of NatWest in early 2000 was the biggest in UK history. National Westminster Bank, once Britain's most profitable bank, was delisted from the London Stock Exchange and became, with its subsidiaries, component parts of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group......' (Source = Wikipedia)

These advertisments are salt in a festering wound.

Still at least it's raining, that should spoil some MP's holidays, (that is if they are in holidaying in a UK taxpayer funded home).

The scammers have lost their favourite market for extracting money from their "customers" and the taxpayer.

Demand for pension products is well down, people don't have the spare income for that any more, so they are left with a rat-bag of offerings to draw in money and fees.

Is this the same bank that gave me an appointment with the most clueless mortgage advisor I've ever met?

Why would you ask a bankrupt bank for financial advice? You're probably better off asking your mum.