House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The McGlashan

Who Is Hamish Mctavish Trying To Convince?

I'm writing a book at the moment which has the current economic situation, including the house price crash, as one of its various themes .

Hamish McTavish's posts to this forum have provided me with an invaluable insight into the psychology of a certain 'archetype' of British mortgage-debtor. The wealth of material he continues to provide on a daily basis is a priceless research resource.

Some have compared trying to have a discussion with Hamish to arguing with a 3 year old. I, for my part, have said that arguing with Hamish is like demonstrating the fossil record to a creationist - "but God put those bones there to test our faith!".

I now think that both these analogies are wrong, for they both at least ascribe a genuinely-held faith to the interlocutor. I cannot now believe that Hamish believes wholeheartedly in the content of his posts. The only thing is, I can't quite home in on his deepest motivation - so who is he trying to convince?

1. Us. (He cannot bear the thought that future house buyers will have a smaller debt burden than him.)

2. Himself. (He is watching his equity circling the drain, and is raging against the dying of the light.)

3. His wife. (He convinced her that buying near the peak was a good idea and is rationalising that position.)

4. Or is he just a troll on the wind-up?

I think McFantasy is actually being himself but in the process has no courage of his convictions. For example, given that he's a bull, would it not be unreasonable to expect him to be purchasing property at this point in time? Apparently he's "at the top of the chain" though. <_<

Hamish, I would say is a person that can think straight and look forward if only he had not bitten off more than he could chew.

He that goes a borrowing goes a sorrowing. ;)

He's a miserable git and probably the most despised and mean spirited person on the site.

Unless you are writing about sociopaths, I do not understand why you would want to study or cite him.

I think himself. At first sight, he appears to be a relatively intelligent individual - which makes his inability to grasp the underlying fundamentals of 'why it is most definitely different this time' all the more perplexing, and can point to only one thing - self-denial.

“What about morons?”

“Ah. Morons never do the wrong thing. They get their reasoning wrong. Like the fellow who says all dogs are pets and all dogs bark, and cats are pets, too, and therefore cats bark. Or that all Athenians are mortal, and all the citizens of Piraeus are mortal, so all the citizens of Piraeus are Athenians.”

“Which they are.”

“Yes, but only accidentally. Morons will occasionally say something that’s right, but they say it for the wrong reason.”

Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum

Self delusion seems to be the favourite at this stage. Thanks. A mix of that and trying to convince his wife has the greatest literary and dramatic possibilities.

I am now swaying more to the opinion that he's just a troll, in reality. But that wouldn't serve the theme that I'm exploring - it'd be a different book altogether!

I voted with the majority - he's trying to convince himself. :unsure:

Surely it's not who but why? That is the better question!

Can't be option 3. She left him while he was correcting somebody in the internet.

Ha. Brilliant, but probably, sadly true