House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Scientology On Trial For Fraud In France

Scientologists are a bunch of gullible inadequates organised into a fraudulent money-making scheme by a hack sci-fi author.

It would be great to see all their con shops shut down.

Scientology has faced numerous setbacks in France, with members convicted of fraud in Lyon in 1997 and Marseille in 1999. In 2002, a court fined it for violating privacy laws and said it could be dissolved if involved in similar cases.

The headquarters and bookshop account for most of the group's activities in France and a guilty verdict would in practice mean its dissolution, although it is unclear whether it could still open other branches in the future.

Church of Scientology goes on trial in France after members are accused of organised fraud

WHAT! You mean the thetans didn't arrive on earth in something that looks suspiciously like DC-8s?

You have to wonder about the DC-8s thing don't you - well, all of it really. But I mean, what sort of person actually believes that aliens arrived on Earth by using spaceships that look like DC-8s.

I am going to start a religion where aliens arrive on Earth in spaceships that look like giant knickerbocker glories and the aliens themselves look like Jane Fonda in Barbarella.

Guest X-QUORK
I am going to start a religion where aliens arrive on Earth in spaceships that look like giant knickerbocker glories and the aliens themselves look like Jane Fonda in Barbarella.

Why not? It's hold just as much credence as any other religion.

Where do I sign?

DUDE can u believe that tom cruise is involved with these lunatics. and how many countries do they operate in it staggers me to think that this got off the ground in such a widespread way .

Guest X-QUORK
DUDE can u believe that tom cruise is involved with these lunatics. and how many countries do they operate in it staggers me to think that this got off the ground in such a widespread way .

I know, I can't get my head around it. Tom Cruise is a decent actor and comes across well enough in interviews, it just doesn't tally with believing in such cobblers.

Still, I feel the same disappointment when I learn that anyone I respect has faith.

I quite liked Hubberd's Battlefield Earth - a good holiday read one year. And the movie of it with Travolta was hilariously bad.

Personally, I think Hubberd's Scientology wheeze is just a massive joke that's been swallowed by a surprisingly large number of people! I don't think for 1 second he himself actually believed any of it.