House Price Crash Forum
Guest LongBlackKilt

Chile: Norway Of The South?

Guest LongBlackKilt

They're both long narrow lands full of possibilities. [Recent political history differs, it's true.]

Norway has oil and Chile has copper for when the resources crunch comes calling. It also seems that 60% of Chile's electricity production comes from hydro. And they're both reasonably placed for global warming.

I'm monitoring the NOK with a view to getting some delivered to my door, mebbe some time later this year.

Would members of the board also recommend the Chilean peso? [it could nestle in the portfolio alongside a modest amount of g*ld.]

They also both have AMAZING birds.

Not sure if that is relevant to their economic future. However just thought I would mention it.

They're both long narrow lands full of possibilities. [Recent political history differs, it's true.]

Norway has oil and Chile has copper for when the resources crunch comes calling. It also seems that 60% of Chile's electricity production comes from hydro. And they're both reasonably placed for global warming.

I'm monitoring the NOK with a view to getting some delivered to my door, mebbe some time later this year.

Would members of the board also recommend the Chilean peso? [it could nestle in the portfolio alongside a modest amount of g*ld.]

One of my good mates was born and grew up in Pinochet's Chile. Even today he won't go back.

But, for the rest of us, Chile has copper like the OP mentioned, and some of the nicest red wines IMO.

I would love to go see the place myself.

One of my good mates was born and grew up in Pinochet's Chile. Even today he won't go back.

But, for the rest of us, Chile has copper like the OP mentioned, and some of the nicest red wines IMO.

I would love to go see the place myself.

The birds. Did I mention the birds ?

Until you have been on a beach in Vina Del Mar you have not lived. Highly recommended.

Being a ginger I fitted in perfectly.

Guest LongBlackKilt

Not sure if that is relevant to their economic future. However just thought I would mention it.

So what do people say about investing in Wales?

So what do people say about investing in Wales?

A few nice birds ?

Guest LongBlackKilt
A few nice birds ?

Now I'm thinking that the Ukraine might be a good bet. :blink:

Now I'm thinking that the Ukraine might be a good bet. :blink:

I have heard that. Lithuania as well apparently. Stunners. All stunners. So I have been told.

They've also both got coastlines that are incredibly difficult to draw.

I love the fjords.

I have heard that. Lithuania as well apparently. Stunners. All stunners. So I have been told.

I remember watching micheal palin in Ukraine eyes all over the place they are famous for good looking girls.

Yes, but in South American terms, Chile is near the bottom of the league table. Bolivia is at the very bottom, and the top three (very close) are 1 Argentina 2 Venezuela 3 Colombia.

Yes, but in South American terms, Chile is near the bottom of the league table. Bolivia is at the very bottom, and the top three (very close) are 1 Argentina 2 Venezuela 3 Colombia.

There is a league table !! Bring it on. :lol:

I have just started working in Norway and I am considering basing myself their permanently for the next few years. I am getting paid in NOKs which I plan to save.

There is a storm coming and I don't want to be one of the hammered middle classes paying for this mess Britain has got itself into.

So far Stavanger has been very enjoyable - expensive, but enjoyable!

There is a league table !! Bring it on. :lol:

Ahhhhh, our CCC, living with the parents, no life, addicted to HPC, and fantasizing about foreign birds.

I can see it clearly now......... :D:P

fat_geek.jpg

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

But just like GM, they'll be bankrupt soon.

Have you ever been to Norway? It's one of the richest countries in Europe - they are not part of the EU for very good, if selfish reasons

Ahhhhh, our CCC, living with the parents, no life, addicted to HPC, and fantasizing about foreign birds.

I can see it clearly now......... :D:P

fat_geek.jpg

Your trolling is becoming a little too obvious these days Hamish. Are you that desperate for an orange hairdo ?

Just a wee hint for you. How kind am I. ;)

Is that a picture of you Hamish?

Nah it's me. Don't know how he found it !!

I lived in Chile for 2 years, mainly in the capital Santiago. I would say that it is a very good place. As others have pointed out is has bag loads of Copper in the north which the Chinease are buying, and compared to the rest of Latin America crime and corruption are quite low. The people are very amicable and there has been a big push in recent years to open up trade and business relations with Europe/North America. Red Tape formalities are also not to stringent either.

The country is however still recovering from the dark old days of the 1970s when Pinochet was in power, the wounds are still very deep as many people still alive today lost relatives during that time.

Buying CLP Pesos is probably not something I would do, but they do have some good wine....