House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Got A Good Degree? Taken On A Huge Debt For The Sake Of Your Education? Get Yourself A Call Centre Job

Guest BoomBoomCrash

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educa...ll-centres.html

So let's work this out.

Average graduate debt= £20,000

3 years (average) lost full-time income due to studying= circa £30,000 [assuming minimum wage]

So £50k of debt and lost income to be told to go and work in a call centre for £14-16k a year.

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

At some point, you'd think it would dawn on the proles that "higher education" in the UK is now largely a scam.

keeps a few hundred thousand off the dole and unemployment looks better, at their own expense too.

So let's work this out.

3 years (average) lost full-time income due to studying= circa £30,000 [assuming minimum wage]

So £50k of debt and lost income to be told to go and work in a call centre for £14-16k a year.

A friend of mine got a job in a call centre early 90s,about £13k a year.She put the full £250 a month in the share save.Also got share options after 1 year for 100% of her salary.The company was involved in the first mobiles.It got taken over,then that company got taken over,,then twice again by two of the big boys.

She invested around £14k,walked away after 9 years with £340k.Bought 12 terraces houses cash and spends her time now at 37 in her cabin in Scotland and her barge.

Right place right time,and used her head.

At some point, you'd think it would dawn on the proles that "higher education" in the UK is now largely a scam.

I think your missing the point. I didnt go to University for financial reasons. If i had been that obsessed with salary etc I would have left school at 15 and trained to be a plumber.

At the end of the day I had 3 years of amazing fun, making friends I still hold dear almost 20 years later. I became educated and at the same time independent, funnily enough way before friends that went straight into work at 16. I also learnt social skills and mixed and lived with people I would never have had chance to if I hadn't gone to University.

What amuses me is the legion of people who didnt go to University but still feel as though they lost out on nothing, in fact some take the higher ground. Usually within 5 minutes I can tell if a person went to Uni or not, pretty simple and now as a CEO I demand that we only recruit graduates unless somebody is an exceptional non graduate. I started out in £5 per hour temp jobs for 3 years after Uni but boy did I fly past all the non grads when I got my first proper job (To their annoyance and my joy).

It was a scam from the beginning, an early 90's Conservative one sadly, that NuLab adopted with a surprising vigour from '97 onwards.

It has infuriated me for years that a youngster would be encouraged to burden themselves with debt acquiring a 'degree' in a subject (e.g. sport, media, retail, etc.) when an apprenticeship would make so much more sense to them in just about every way. But where have they all gone now? I'm getting angry just typing this ...

:angry:

Guest BoomBoomCrash
A friend of mine got a job in a call centre early 90s,about £13k a year.She put the full £250 a month in the share save.Also got share options after 1 year for 100% of her salary.The company was involved in the first mobiles.It got taken over,then that company got taken over,,then twice again by two of the big boys.

She invested around £14k,walked away after 9 years with £340k.Bought 12 terraces houses cash and spends her time now at 37 in her cabin in Scotland and her barge.

So you felt the need to let us know that some people have good fortune, this isn't news. Hardly addresses the issue at hand though

It was a scam from the beginning, an early 90's Conservative one sadly, that NuLab adopted with a surprising vigour from '97 onwards.

It has infuriated me for years that a youngster would be encouraged to burden themselves with debt acquiring a 'degree' in a subject (e.g. sport, media, retail, etc.) when an apprenticeship would make so much more sense to them in just about every way. But where have they all gone now? I'm getting angry just typing this ...

Does an apprenticeship get any respect these days? Working your way up?

How long is it going to be before Cherie Blair takes a class action for those that didnt go to Uni and were discriminated against when applying for a job that specifically asked for Graduates ?

What amuses me is the legion of people who didnt go to University but still feel as though they lost out on nothing, in fact some take the higher ground. Usually within 5 minutes I can tell if a person went to Uni or not, pretty simple and now as a CEO I demand that we only recruit graduates unless somebody is an exceptional non graduate. I started out in £5 per hour temp jobs for 3 years after Uni but boy did I fly past all the non grads when I got my first proper job (To their annoyance and my joy).

Oh dear :(

I think your missing the point. I didnt go to University for financial reasons. If i had been that obsessed with salary etc I would have left school at 15 and trained to be a plumber.

At the end of the day I had 3 years of amazing fun, making friends I still hold dear almost 20 years later. I became educated and at the same time independent, funnily enough way before friends that went straight into work at 16. I also learnt social skills and mixed and lived with people I would never have had chance to if I hadn't gone to University.

Eurgh ...

P.S. It's "I think you're missing the point". Wasn't a great education, was it? :blink:

Does an apprenticeship get any respect these days? Working your way up?

Not sure how that respect would manifest itself? From the outside though I'd certainly respect a 19 year old who told me they were working as an apprentice at a newspaper or a mechanics or a retail outlet etc.

Troll softer.

I think if I were the CEO of a large bank or corporation, or an MP I too would look to employ Graduates.

There is now way I would want to employ anyone with common sense as that would be the end of my bonus's.

TBH if you didnt go to university you would have been coralled into paying a similarly inflated amount for a house anyway. Debt is unavoidable, the system is designed to ensure were always in debt.

Not sure how that respect would manifest itself? From the outside though I'd certainly respect a 19 year old who told me they were working as an apprentice at a newspaper or a mechanics or a retail outlet etc.

Friggin heck, so missing the point it is unbelievable. Where is the respect being shown to all those apprentices that started out a few years ago in Auto Factories, Retail Outlets, Newspapers, Construction etc etc. They are all one trick ponies out on their ears and they now have no skills other than signing on and hoping that one day things might change.

Graduates are if anything flexible and able to pick up the call centre jobs etc to see themselves by through recessions. Gary the Apprentice on the other hand who started out at 16 working at Toyota is left rotting in some Derby based DSS office.

I knew a bloke, went to the shop, bought a lottery ticket.

It could be you.

:lol:

I think if I were the CEO of a large bank or corporation, or an MP I too would look to employ Graduates.

There is now way I would want to employ anyone with common sense as that would be the end of my bonus's.

It's quite simple you have graduates without common sense and non grads without common sense. Just because they are graduates doesnt make them good employees.

The key is when you get 300 applicants for one job, it is an easy way to filter out 150 of them straight away.

Friggin heck, so missing the point it is unbelievable. Where is the respect being shown to all those apprentices that started out a few years ago in Auto Factories, Retail Outlets, Newspapers, Construction etc etc. They are all one trick ponies out on their ears and they now have no skills other than signing on and hoping that one day things might change.

Graduates are if anything flexible and able to pick up the call centre jobs etc to see themselves by through recessions. Gary the Apprentice on the other hand who started out at 16 working at Toyota is left rotting in some Derby based DSS office.

Dear oh dear oh dear ... what utter prejudiced tripe.

Is it just call centre work left for UK graduates?

Suppose it makes sense. One of the few jobs available now where being fluent in English is a requirement, well sort of I suppose!

Its new guide, "Life after graduation"

Should be retitled, "Life after being lied to and stiffed with the bill. Sorry your job has already been reallocated to someone who got it becuase it was in the skills shortage list".

Edited by OnlyMe

My experience with MBAs has been totally negative. Highly educated, sure...

Oxbridge grads have never failed to disappoint.

Edited by gruffydd

It's quite simple you have graduates without common sense and non grads without common sense. Just because they are graduates doesnt make them good employees.

The key is when you get 300 applicants for one job, it is an easy way to filter out 150 of them straight away.

So let me guess this right?

You filter applicants on something other than ability?

Might as well say 'no blacks' and be done with it

Dear oh dear oh dear ... what utter prejudiced tripe.

And I suppose stating as the OP did that Graduates are all falling into call centre jobs isn't ?

Weird how passionate people get who didn't go to University when it comes to trying to prove that going to University is a mistake, dont you think?

So let's work this out.

hmm, when I was hiring IT senior developers (J2EE) the Bachelor degree was the minimal requirement. Income between 50-70k pa permanent contract ...

yes, if you study a history of South American native tribes you can expect 15k pa ...