House Price Crash Forum
Frank Hovis

Private Number Plates

Hmmmm......apparently not.

http://buyandsellnumberplates.wordpress.co...n-number-plate/

Edit: Also, it seems Her Maj is the only person in the country not required to display a plate on her car, in the same way she doesn't need a passport to travel. One of the perks of being a monarch I guess.

They probably had those plates from "new" though. i.e they were issued with them originally. The Queen is almost as old as motoring don't you know :lol::lol::lol:

I agree, along with double-barreling of surnames like Sandra Smith-Brown.

The height of vulgarity.

:lol: Oh the irony.

I was following R70 ERL at the weekend, with a bolt in between the R and the L (for no reason). It was only because he'd had his name put on the plate where the dealer's name was that I could eventually decipher it - his name was Lee Ryder..... total tool.

Possibly the worst attempt ever at your name on a plate....

the truly bizarre thing about this is that very rarely do the plates actually even resemble a word. I have a mate who spent a fair bit to get the plate D4NY T. It's not that close to his actual name, as Danny has a double N and no 4 in it.

Also, what about the bells who try to use the screw in the plate to fashion a new letter. Like in between two I's it can look like a H. Just what sort of people are they to do this?

Exactly: it's as if they want the whole world to know that they don't know how to spell their own name.

Guest X-QUORK
I was looking at Mr Wedgewood-Benn as your avatar as it happened. :rolleyes:

Oops...sorry about that.

In Tony Benn's case, the double-barrel part was handed down from his father who came from your actual aristocracy, which makes it perfectly acceptable, and Benn doesn't call himself Wedgewood-Benn in any case. I'm against the idea of the working/middle classes trying to be considerably posher than yow, it's as bad as Bucket Towers.

Guest theboltonfury
Oops...sorry about that.

In Tony Benn's case, the double-barrel part was handed down from his father who came from your actual aristocracy, which makes it perfectly acceptable, and Benn doesn't call himself Wedgewood-Benn in any case. I'm against the idea of the working/middle classes trying to be considerably posher than yow, it's as bad as Bucket Towers.

I once went to a business meeting with my ex boss some years ago. His surname was Lord and first name started with a M. Yet his number plate was this P10 RDY. When the receptionist asked for his reg for her sheet, like a dick, he proudly said 'It's P LORDY' to which she looked at him blankly and with a serious face said 'do you mean P10 RDY?'

I almost slashed in my pants

Guest X-QUORK
I once went to a business meeting with my ex boss some years ago. His surname was Lord and first name started with a M. Yet his number plate was this P10 RDY. When the receptionist asked for his reg for her sheet, like a dick, he proudly said 'It's P LORDY' to which she looked at him blankly and with a serious face said 'do you mean P10 RDY?'

I almost slashed in my pants

When I was at school in the '80s, Lordy was a derogatory term for homosexuals.

Oops...sorry about that.

Benn is in no way actual aristocracy. His grandfather was plain old John Benn and was only made a Baronet in 1914. Tony's father, Willam, was the first to add Wedgewood. The family is a cast iron example of the middle classes trying to be considerably posher, etc.

Proper cherished number plates are a limited supply, so unless demand slumps I don't think they'll lose much value.

Of course demand could slump if having a cherished number becomes totally naff or the scheme is terminated.

who exactly coined the term "cherished". If people genuinely "cherish" a number plate, I'm not sure I'd want to know them :)

Oops...sorry about that.

The Wikipedia article on double-barrelled names is quite interesting. It turns out that in Spain everyone has a double-barrelled surname by law, except they don't usually use both names. There are also a few really posh British families with treble- or even quadruple-barrelled names (how would you like to be calaed Mr Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie?).

The French have a good idea though:

In France a recent practice has been to use two consecutive hyphens -- (not the same as a "long hyphen" or dash, or with a double hyphen) to distinguish between recently formed double barrelled names and ancient hyphenated family names (French: nom composé).

Hah!

Edited by Scunnered

You watch a big television, you wear a gold Rolex, a fancy piece of art can look nice in your front room, a big house can be very practical... The only practical use of a personalised reg is to draw attention to the fact that you're a bit of a numpty.

You mean "IMHO you're a bit of a numpty?" I have no views one way or the other on personalised plates but if it makes you happy then so what?

Going back to my list-big television-waste of space unless your eyes are bad. Gold Rolex-better watches out there for half the price. Fancy art-says who? Big house-if you have no big family then why? We could go round and round but those four qualify for numpty status. IMHO of course.

I enjoyed that WP. A practical twist/reason.

I have one too, but mostly because I'm a shallow KN08 and C11AV with self-esteem and self-loathing issues.

Kharma

My old solicitor (in Bolton) bought LAW 10 many years ago from a person (forget his name LOL). Now come on you would want to own that wouldn't you? Bolton Fury-you must have seen that one.

I have a 5-letter reg, cut-down, recessed and smaller font than standard that tilts when you go over around 20mph. This maximises airflow through the front bumper (mod'd engine needs all the air it can get) and stops the number plate being visible on speed cameras that take frontal shots.

My watch is just over a 100 yrs old and keeps good time (<1m over a 2-week wind), probably worth about £70 so cheaper to run than a cheapo digital :)

VMR.

Kharma

My old solicitor (in Bolton) bought LAW 10 many years ago from a person (forget his name LOL). Now come on you would want to own that wouldn't you? Bolton Fury-you must have seen that one.

John Sherrington, I think. He also bought up H70 LAW, J70 LAW, K70 LAW, etc. etc.

The best lawyer's plate in bolton is not actually on a solicitor's plate - SUE 1. (up in Edgworth).

[it beggars belief that lawyers would want ot advertise what they do, and you'd think the same for accountants - but one of the firms on Chorley New Road used to have AUD1T as one of the partner's cars...... - now that's a sad man....

Guest theboltonfury
Kharma

No - I haven't. I left Bolton a good few years ago now, although it's good to see that such levels of self-importance have now reached industrial Lancashire.

John Sherrington, I think. He also bought up H70 LAW, J70 LAW, K70 LAW, etc. etc.

The best lawyer's plate in bolton is not actually on a solicitor's plate - SUE 1. (up in Edgworth).

[it beggars belief that lawyers would want ot advertise what they do, and you'd think the same for accountants - but one of the firms on Chorley New Road used to have AUD1T as one of the partner's cars...... - now that's a sad man....

Rachman

I used to see LAW 10 in Westhoughton and I know he bought it from Denis. You know he was my old solicitor and I can't even remember his name. We may be on a different bloke here as Sherrington doesn't ring a bell. Is it Tuesday today? LOL

Guest X-QUORK

You know the type of person who wears a "comedy" tie i.e. Tazmanian Devil or Mickey Mouse character brightly coloured?

They're the ones with personalised number plates.

Guest theboltonfury

The only time I've ever seen a plate and thought that it was quite good and relevant was when I saw Rio Ferdinand getting out of his Aston in Alderley Edge. His plate was R10 FER.

Plates look OK on properly nice cars like but always ******ing ridiculous on Mondeo's, Rover 45's etc

Thought about buying B16 EVL for my missus 1980 BL Princess Hearse. Thankfully I couldn't as it would make the car look younger than it was. Between that and the fact it would have cost me twice as much as the car itself......

...I'm good thanks.

Thought about buying B16 EVL for my missus 1980 BL Princess Hearse. Thankfully I couldn't as it would make the car look younger than it was. Between that and the fact it would have cost me twice as much as the car itself......

...I'm good thanks.

Wow that must be a rarity now. The Princess was quite popular with converters.

wnkirklees_01.jpg

Wow that must be a rarity now. The Princess was quite popular with converters.

Getting rarer due to Banger racers.

To be honest missus wanted it ( weirdo ) and I looked at the decks, did a quick measurement and decided we could fit mats for our MA class. Better than a van. Of course its a lovely old British classic ( I remember my uncle having an original ) which means its a fix or repair daily job. And it is probably the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Like a big armchair on a barge due to the Hydrolastic.

People laugh when you pick up wood from B&Q in it.

Not so much when you get your shopping from tesco.