House Price Crash Forum
Frank Hovis

Private Number Plates

Look if you need a watch, a suit or even a car to prove who you are..you must be lacking in something. ;)

Jeez, what a happy bunch or troopers we are today..... What is wrong with having a little indulgence occasionally? Driving the economy car eating economy food, wearing economy clothes. Nice.

Some people like holidays, some like nice furniture, some like drugs, some like sex. Most of us have our little perversions, and you pay for all of them; what is wrong with a nice watch if you want one? Rolex watches (as long as you avoid buying new) don't lose money, and require little attention. Mine is from 1968; older than me, and I will never need another watch. How is that for recycling? They are something you can pass on to your son, and know that they they can have it serviced and wear it another 50 years after you are gone.

You only get one chance at life. Shrouds don't have pockets.....

No doubt I will get shot to pieces with the 'irresponsible consumer' argument! :)

Edited by vlad the impaler

The authorites don't issue numbers which are 'rude'.

I've seen P15 ORF.

I don't want a private plate on my car, it's nothing to do with how I'll be perceived, it's because I like to be anonymous. Unfortunately OH put his on retention a year after I bought my current car (can't go on company car), and my FIL has bought one each for our two children (currently with MIL and my father)

I'm using 'I'm changing the car soon' as an excuse at the moment, but my days are numbered. :(

I have a private plate, only £240 and IMHO worth every penny.

Its not flash, but it makes me stand out which is especially good when colelcting people from the station / airport.

I wear Casio digital watches that cost under £10 from Argos. They usually last a year or two. I have got a nicer watch (broken) but I just can't see the attractionin owning very expensive watches or cars or hi-fis. A Bentley Continental GT costs ten times as much as a A Ford Mondeo but it's not 10 times as good (I have driven Bentleys, by the way - but not Continentals)

Jeez, what a happy bunch or troopers we are today..... What is wrong with having a little indulgence occasionally? Driving the economy car eating economy food, wearing economy clothes. Nice.

Some people like holidays, some like nice furniture, some like drugs, some like sex. Most of us have our little perversions, and you pay for all of them; what is wrong with a nice watch if you want one? Rolex watches (as long as you avoid buying new) don't lose money, and require little attention. Mine is from 1968; older than me, and I will never need another watch. How is that for recycling? They are something you can pass on to your son, and know that they they can have it serviced and wear it another 50 years after you are gone.

No doubt I will get shot to pieces with the 'irresponsible consumer' argument! :)

I actually agree with you.

I don't mind people that don't appreciate the same things I do, it's the people that feel it's somehow noble to eat the cheapest beans, wear the most second hand clothing, and never a pay a dime more than absolutely necessary.

to me it's more sad than anything that people live such third world lifestyles, and often not to any significant benefit.

I wear Casio digital watches that cost under £10 from Argos. They usually last a year or two. I have got a nicer watch (broken) but I just can't see the attractionin owning very expensive watches or cars or hi-fis. A Bentley Continental GT costs ten times as much as a A Ford Mondeo but it's not 10 times as good (I have driven Bentleys, by the way - but not Continentals)

So you don't see the attraction - but others do. And that Bentley CGT is a great car - just don't buy it new ! If you want to do 40K a year, buy the Mondeo, but if you want a two ton car that is crafted (inside) not assembled and want leather, wool carpets, 552hp and 200mph, buy the CGT..... - it's all about choice....

Edited by Rachman

Nothing wrong with that at all! We all need hobbies and indulgences, for which we may be prepared to pay

a bit extra, and which may seem lunacy to everyone else!

Unlike "blankster" I will spend extra on hi-fi, as I am a bit of a musician and I like music!

Each to his own! ;)

Edited by MrPin

Proper cherished number plates are a limited supply, so unless demand slumps I don't think they'll lose much value.

Of course demand could slump if having a cherished number becomes totally naff or the scheme is terminated.

or...

Plate-KA-PA777.JPG

von

http://als.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kfz-Kennzeichen

AA-229-AA_ref.png

de

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaque_d%27immatriculation

etc etc ...

Myopia is a curious thing... :o

i know none of you believe me when i tell you god hates me personally, but when i brought my car, at gods request, as i was going with the flow at the time, the plate was (and i have changed it slightly for my protection) M667 DIE which is a bit like saying 666 DIE or thats how people will realise it. They got me to by my car so i would be in debt. first thing i did with my new magical call center job. Then when i brought my first mobile fromTescos the number has 666 in it. I break it up so i say 366 then 690 (changed to protect me), but often they repeat it, the easy way, 3 666 90 yeah? Yeah? great for making new sales and getting a clients trust.

incidently, my new US plates have the letters as VDD. which is a bit like VD as in venerial disease. im used to god shitting on me like this.

when i was young he worked in my favour. my A Level rsults were ACE, thats an E in geography, my best subject, the one i worked hardest for. but being ACE was a special message that i was ACE.

50% deposit,

Are you sure about your registration number being M667 DIE?

I am 99% sure that no Letter I or Letter Z was issued when UK number plates had the prefix and suffix reg. numbers from 1963 to 2001.

I did however see an old ambulance in a town called KILrush, County Clare, in Eire and the registration number was 800 DIE. That one should have been put on a hearse instead !

Edited by gotoutintime

I like private plates, they personalise a car. I like nice watches too. If you've got cash there's no problem spending it on the odd nice material item. Doesn't make me conceited, just they're items I like. On the other hand, I'm not into ridiculously expensive clothes. Each to their own I guess.

I just checked and KNO8 was never released. Probably being held back to auction. KN08 DOC would be great for my urologist friend

A member of my fmaily had a Porsche with the registration GN08 though. Close enough and they never saw the funny side.

You could add premium or generic domain names to this list

Rover2000, are you still involved in web hosting ? If so I'd like to PM you.

The authorites don't issue numbers which are 'rude'.

Sometimes they do by accident, see below

PEN 1S is out there.

Beat me to it.

Check http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/home/ This proves that 50% is talking crap because they don't allow Q, I or Z in the last 3 letters of the plate.

I actually agree with you.

I don't mind people that don't appreciate the same things I do, it's the people that feel it's somehow noble to eat the cheapest beans, wear the most second hand clothing, and never a pay a dime more than absolutely necessary.

to me it's more sad than anything that people live such third world lifestyles, and often not to any significant benefit.

You're almost right.

What you mainly see on this board is people bent out of shape that others can afford things that they can't.

In many cases it's housing schadenfreude that brought them (and keeps them) at this board. The fact that there did actually happen to be a crash is all just grist to the mill. ;)

I would concede that an old Fiesta with a cherished number is more acceptable that any Porsche Cayenne, whether with cherished number or not! :lol:

I've never been a Porsche fan but I have to agree that the new Panamera is a hard act to follow in the looks department.

don't mind people that don't appreciate the same things I do, it's the people that feel it's somehow noble to eat the cheapest beans, wear the most second hand clothing, and never a pay a dime more than absolutely necessary.
I do that to some extent - like I would never buy a huge mansion even if I won £20 million on Euromillions.

I'd have nice houses - several of them, but none would be ostentatious, just, well.....nice. I also get more pleasure from finding a bargain than from spending a lot of money.

Edited by blankster

Nothing wrong with that at all! We all need hobbies and indulgences, for which we may be prepared to pay

a bit extra, and which may seem lunacy to everyone else!

Unlike "blankster" I will spend extra on hi-fi, as I am a bit of a musician and I like music!

Each to his own! ;)

As a hifi nutcase...

I have to agree, no harm in a little (well thought out and bought 2nd hand) indulgence. It's also nice to know what when you spot that slightly cheaper "Sugden Masterclass" amp, the money is there :P

I have a private plate, only £240 and IMHO worth every penny.

Its not flash, but it makes me stand out which is especially good when colelcting people from the station / airport.

I enjoyed that WP. A practical twist/reason.

I have one too, but mostly because I'm a shallow KN08 and C11AV with self-esteem and self-loathing issues.

I enjoyed that WP. A practical twist/reason.

I have one too, but mostly because I'm a shallow KN08 and C11AV with self-esteem and self-loathing issues.

Yes they can be practical for sure.

W3LND is my plate and most of my customers are foreign, they all seem to get it straight away which is very useful.

They then all ask how much was it and I tell them £240.

They then nod approvingly at your prudence buying something like that nice and cheap.

Yes they can be practical for sure.

W3LND is my plate and most of my customers are foreign, they all seem to get it straight away which is very useful.

They then all ask how much was it and I tell them £240.

They then nod approvingly at your prudence buying something like that nice and cheap.

Beats holding up an old bit of cardboard with it scribbled on. I'm a tad puzzled by the communista who have personal issues with this. I think they'll only be happy when we all wear the same grey uniform, live in a run down city centre high rise, get by on government food rations and cheap gin and are addressed solely by our ID card number. Very very odd indeed.

I should add actually that the place I used to work was a privately owned company. The owners and original investors were old school middle class boys and they all drove very nice cars, but without exception had the original plates on them. The newer "directors" (i.e director in name but not on the main board) all had private plates and not quite so nice cars (with the outstanding exception of one who drove a 4 year old car with unfixed accident damage from 2 years previous - very down to earth).

Private plates appear to be a "new money" phenomenon.

They probably swap them over with the correct format for the MOT.

More to the point, what about all those plates in dodgy fonts, or in italics? Normally driven by a 17-year old shaven KN08 HED. (Some additional points while I think on: The car will also probably have darkened windows, loud noises -- some would call it music, oversized exhausts, and driving with the misbelief that it is foggy.)

I must be a grumpy old man as this is really activity starting to annoy me now. There seem to be loads of motorbikes with rear plates that have tiny lettering (1-2 inches high) which you can barely read even when they are parked. Why don't the police stop these guys?

I also agree with the one above - I saw an Evo VII yesterday with extra spoiler, lowered suspension, mirrored glass and possibly a "private plate" TAJ--- R - perhaps he wanted TODGER but couldn't get it ?

I should add actually that the place I used to work was a privately owned company. The owners and original investors were old school middle class boys and they all drove very nice cars, but without exception had the original plates on them. The newer "directors" (i.e director in name but not on the main board) all had private plates and not quite so nice cars (with the outstanding exception of one who drove a 4 year old car with unfixed accident damage from 2 years previous - very down to earth).

Hmmmm......apparently not.

A7 – HM the Queen

1 ANN – Princess Ann

NLT 2 – HM The Queen mother

OXR 1 – HRH Prince Philip

3 GXM – Princess Margaret

YR 11 – The Duke of Kent

http://buyandsellnumberplates.wordpress.co...n-number-plate/

Edit: Also, it seems Her Maj is the only person in the country not required to display a plate on her car, in the same way she doesn't need a passport to travel. One of the perks of being a monarch I guess.

Edited by Red Kharma

An Asian man in my town (presumably called Nazim or Nazir) has the plate NAZ 1

Would a white person get away with that?

That's a Northern Irish number plate

If it was the small now podgy Asian man driving NAS 1 I'd have got out of the way - Naseem Hamed's driving is still slightly worse than Amir Khan's...... - and neither of them got away with it :)

Guest X-QUORK

I agree, along with double-barreling of surnames like Sandra Smith-Brown.

The height of vulgarity.