House Price Crash Forum

Private Number Plates

HOLA441

When I see someone with a personalised number plate I think.....you've got a problem mate. :P

Talking about watches whether it is a rolex or a bargain buy from argos, it does the same thing and says the same thing...you have no need to insure it and if you lose it you only have to buy an updated model...variety is the spice of life. ;)

Edited by winkie

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
You could add premium or generic domain names to this list

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/...es-record-price

$1.1 M for cruises.co.uk

I wondered when domain names were going to be mentioned...

Domain names are VERY different indeed, and I'm amazed more people around here aren't buying into them. They are cheaper than they have been for a while at the moment (*), due to the economy, but prices are still rising. If you develop/park them, you can make money off them. With premium generics, you can make hundreds/thousands of pounds profit per day. Good developed generics can make tens/hundreds of thousands per day.

Try doing that with your private plate/property portfolio/gold/savings account.

They are a buy and hold at the moment, for me, rather than a sell, more a medium-long term thing.

(in the resale market - fresh domains are still relatively peanuts to buy)

Edited by stevebrowne

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Following on from Injin's money thread (the most recent one) I've been trying to come up with something that has zero intrinsic value but a high ascribed value and I've come up with private number plates.

Reasons being:

Whenever you buy a car, new or second hand, it always comes with a number plate included in the price.

I said zero intrinsic value, but actually negative intrinsic value. Because if you have a private plate and change your car you have to pay to do this each time. So owning a private plate costs you.

Alll the other bubbles or overpriced goods have a value (or were believed to have a value wrt dotcom stocks), however low, e.g.:

Tulipmania - tulip bulbs let you grow a tulip

Houses - you can live in them or rent them out

Gold - it has an industrial use and acts as a portable store of wealth

Shares - pay dividends

Private plates do well in boom times, as people look for something to buy, and the definition of what constitutes a private plates expands (those where you realise they must be private because the plate age doesn't match the car age).

So given all that I would expect a graph of the price of private plates over time to be like a succession of ski slopes and to be a useful lead indicator of private spending drying up.

But.... I can't find historical stats to prove it :( . Can anybody dig some out?

Private plates are a total waste of money, and it is now, during a recession that the DVLA are advertising personalised number plates for sale. Its true, I saw one of the adverts on TV late one night last week. Perhaps they are strapped for cash or something and desperate to get cash in any way they can?

HOLA4412
I wondered when domain names were going to be mentioned...

Domain names are VERY different indeed, and I'm amazed more people around here aren't buying into them. They are cheaper than they have been for a while at the moment (*), due to the economy, but prices are still rising. If you develop/park them, you can make money off them. With premium generics, you can make hundreds/thousands of pounds profit per day. Good developed generics can make tens/hundreds of thousands per day.

Try doing that with your private plate/property portfolio/gold/savings account.

They are a buy and hold at the moment, for me, rather than a sell, more a medium-long term thing.

(in the resale market - fresh domains are still relatively peanuts to buy)

I own some great domain names, but am not making any money.... can you enlighten me please?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I own some great domain names, but am not making any money.... can you enlighten me please?

if you're serious, PM me. If you just have a 123-reg/goadddy etc. page showing then you won't make any money. If you have good domains and have them parked at somewhere like SEDO then you might earn (a decreasing amount of) money from clickthroughs.

Best way is to develop though. Get a site on the domain doing something.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Whenever you buy a car, new or second hand, it always comes with a number plate included in the price.

I said zero intrinsic value, but actually negative intrinsic value. Because if you have a private plate and change your car you have to pay to do this each time. So owning a private plate costs you.

Alll the other bubbles or overpriced goods have a value (or were believed to have a value wrt dotcom stocks), however low, e.g.:

Tulipmania - tulip bulbs let you grow a tulip

Houses - you can live in them or rent them out

Gold - it has an industrial use and acts as a portable store of wealth

Shares - pay dividends

Private plates do well in boom times, as people look for something to buy, and the definition of what constitutes a private plates expands (those where you realise they must be private because the plate age doesn't match the car age).

Classic example of HPC logic.

"Facts" that only actually prove that the poster knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing. ;)

HOLA4420

IMO private plates have always been a sound investment - I have a couple on retention at the moment - several friends have made mega money on number plates - the market is linked to the economy, and when things get better prices will go up again - its no different to many types of other investment.

So my advice to anyone would not to discount looking for some bargains when things get harder in the economy - its always good to have a mixed investment portfolio in my view <_<

HOLA4421
Talking about watches whether it is a rolex or a bargain buy from argos, it does the same thing and says the same thing...you have no need to insure it and if you lose it you only have to buy an updated model...variety is the spice of life. ;)

Isn't the one from Argos likely to keep far better time than the Rolex?

HOLA4422
IMO private plates have always been a sound investment - I have a couple on retention at the moment - several friends have made mega money on number plates - the market is linked to the economy, and when things get better prices will go up again - its no different to many types of other investment.

So my advice to anyone would not to discount looking for some bargains when things get harder in the economy - its always good to have a mixed investment portfolio in my view <_<

Yes and No :) I have (for reasons too complicated to go into) an interest in three numbers xx 10 xx 100 xx 1000 where xx is a popular set of initials .. (three people on the Sunday times rich list have these initials) .. a big auction house thought a decent guide price was £120,000 for all three in 2007 ...

We had a new guide price of £65,000 last week .. (If it had been me and not we, they would have been sold two years ago ..)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Maybe...the Rolex after all is only there so you can notice the name not the time. :lol:

Now I think about it, I think I got this from a thread on here a while ago. It turns out that Rolex officially guarantee that their watches will gain or lose no more then 5-7 minutes a month, or up to 14 seconds a day, which is appalling when compared to a £10 quartz watch. The problem is that they have mechanical movements involving springs and escapements, which have no hope of competing with quartz watches no matter how well-engineered they are. I have to say I was horrified when I discovered how poor the accuracy can be of a watch that may have cost you more than a car.

HOLA4425
Now I think about it, I think I got this from a thread on here a while ago. It turns out that Rolex officially guarantee that their watches will gain or lose no more then 5-7 minutes a month, or up to 14 seconds a day, which is appalling when compared to a £10 quartz watch. The problem is that they have mechanical movements involving springs and escapements, which have no hope of competing with quartz watches no matter how well-engineered they are. I have to say I was horrified when I discovered how poor the accuracy can be of a watch that may have cost you more than a car.

Look if you need a watch, a suit or even a car to prove who you are..you must be lacking in something. ;)