House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Tells Graduates To Work For Nothing Or Leave Uk

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8065615.stm

The government is urging graduates to consider a spell working abroad, whether in internships or volunteering, to avoid the worst of the recession.

The advice is backed by the National Union of Students and is being handed out on leaflets at universities over the next couple of weeks.

Recent figures suggest there will be a 5% drop in jobs for new graduates this summer, compared to last year.

But Universities Minister David Lammy said internships can lead to a UK job.

Mr Lammy told the BBC: "If you get an internship, you are with a company acquiring skills that are attractive on a CV - and indeed, the company that you do it with might take you on.

"Then beyond that, it's right to say that we live in a global market place, opportunities abroad can add to your skills and sometimes your language skills.

"And volunteering is always something that's attractive to employers."

Take on £3,000 p.a. (or is it £5,000 or £7,000 now?) debt to keep lecturers in a job then work for nothing (slavery) or f*ck off out of your country.

Perhaps our young people could go and work for free in Pakistan or Somalia. A sort of cultural exchange.

Welcome to Gordon's Gulag - where there is no unemployment because everyone's left.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Kick 'em while they're down...

Barclays hikes rates for graduates

The bank is increasing the rate on its Higher Education Account - a current account aimed at those who have just left university - from 15.6% to 19.3% from June 8. It is the most expensive borrowing for graduates offered by any of the high street banks.

What kind of world are we leaving our children?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Take on £3,000 p.a. (or is it £5,000 or £7,000 now?) debt to keep lecturers in a job then work for nothing (slavery) or f*ck off out of your country.

Read pls ---> http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/stor...;sectioncode=26

Re: internships. They are a good, traditional approach to barring the oiks from good jobs. Mummy and daddy don't own a flat in London for you to borrow? Daddy can't bank roll you for a year of working for nothing? Oh dear, I guess you won't be writing for The Guardian after all, you'll be stacking shelves instead.

Edited by Cogs

HOLA448
Or; join the army, travel the world, meet interesting people, and kill them.

May not have to travel too far soon......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8065504.stm

A recent survey by the Identity Foundation discovered that more than 70% of people believe they should show more confidence about being German. More than 60% said they were proud to be German.

At the Brandenburg Gate, the centrepiece of Sunday's celebrations, I noticed a giant queue snaking round the square. I wondered what everyone was standing in line for.

Then I saw. Someone was handing out German flags to wave, and carrier bags decorated with another German flag. National pride was in big demand

HOLA449
we need a 'kin revolution - mp's expenses, banker bailouts/bonuses taxing the poor and enslaving the young - what are people waiting for?

A Tory government to kick off against I would imagine..........

HOLA4410
we need a 'kin revolution - mp's expenses, banker bailouts/bonuses taxing the poor and enslaving the young - what are people waiting for?

too late.

The laws were put into place last year (& over the last few years) to stop exactly that.

You go & try to have your free speech & see what happens.

Try taking a photo of a policeman & see what happens.

The majority have been the walking dead on hpi & greed for a decade. In this time every freedom you had has now gone.

YOU can't do a thing. :ph34r:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Don't worry, the government still plans on importing massive numbers of non-European immigrants while it encourages our own people to eff off:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7951721.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if £50 per head is expected by the government to raise £70m over two years, does that mean they expect to import another 1.4 million people from outside the EU in that time period? And at a time of economic crisis at that, with millions of Britons losing their jobs or in fear of losing their jobs? :blink:

In a sane world these politicians wouldn't be running the country: they'd be in jail.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Oh great, the very people we need to run the country in the future and he wants them to go off somewhere. Problem is Gordo, when they do go off for a spell, they DONT COME BACK.

What about encouraging all those people that are here benefit stripping or cutting immigration so our kids get a head start in the employment field.

This govt's suggestion for our hard trained Grads to go off and work elsewhere beggars belief.

HOLA4416
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8065615.stm

Perhaps our young people could go and work for free in Pakistan or Somalia. A sort of cultural exchange.

Welcome to Gordon's Gulag - where there is no unemployment because everyone's left.

that's 3k pa tution fees alone isn't ? Isn't the average total debt owed by graduates at the end of their course something like 20k ?

Then there are the number of graduates who don't even earn enough after graduation to have the student loan debt come out of their wages for years afterwards. All the while the interest is still accruing every month.

If i were a graduate with that kind of debt and competition for vacancies i'd wonder why i bothered. Ofcourse if i was particularly bright i could console myself with knowing i could have a stab at a lucrative career in finance or IT. But due to widening particiapation in Higher Education encouraged the govt. there are a hell of a lot of graduates who are just very average, and won't be on the same path to riches as the select few because they don't have the required UCAS points or can't get past the selection/assessment process for fewer graduate vacancies in these lucrative areas. It's all a bit of a cockup really.

in lieu of that, advising them to travel around a bit is probably not the worst bit of advice. Take a few years to chill out, do a bit of travelling gaining some life experience is better than joining the rat race and panicking about joining the housing ladder in the UK.

Edited by spivtastic

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Surely, if Britain is "best placed to weather the recession" it must also be the best place to look for work?

It's a bit unfair to bring up Gordon's previous statements and compare them to what he's saying now. This all started in America, you know.

HOLA4419
too late.

The laws were put into place last year (& over the last few years) to stop exactly that.

You go & try to have your free speech & see what happens.

Try taking a photo of a policeman & see what happens.

The majority have been the walking dead on hpi & greed for a decade. In this time every freedom you had has now gone.

YOU can't do a thing. :ph34r:

I expect people were saying the same things in Bourbon France in the mid 1780's

'Absolutist state, repression of dissenters, armies of spies,professional army to suppress discontent etc'

Look at the timeline to the French Revolution and you see one of th main triggers was the insolvency of the French State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_t...ench_Revolution

It all fell apart when even the goons realised they were not going to get their paycheck.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This sounds like the UK is going to a German system, where graduates are told that they need internships first before they are considered for proper jobs, and that anyway, a gap year on the CV would be the end of their chances.

This works out in the end in serial internships, and people spend their late 20's and early 30's working for less than what they'd get on the dole with very few rights, sometimes for over 10 years, for companies that never plan to employ them, they just take on the next muppet for peanuts instead.

It's gotten so bad that legislation was discussed to stem this, but nothing much has happened since the recession here. Coming to a workplace near you soon... because for many companies, almost free labour is the only way to survive nowadays, and interns are the only folks that can compete (sort of, but not quite still yet) with Chinese labour costs.

HOLA4423

What a mess. I suppose fruit picking looks good on the CV?

Edit to add, in my industry I have noticed jobs now for interns that previously would never have been trusted to an unpaid monkey, however keen they are, all the way up to product management. They will rue the lack of experience, as the losses mount.

Edited by Tonkers

HOLA4424
What a mess. I suppose fruit picking looks good on the CV?

Edit to add, in my industry I have noticed jobs now for interns that previously would never have been trusted to an unpaid monkey, however keen they are, all the way up to product management. They will rue the lack of experience, as the losses mount.

Nops, because the amount the intern has to lose them quite considerable -- if you take on 10 interns that work for expenses and lunch vouchers you save yourself the £20-30k those guys cost to you in the end x 10. If you know what you are doing then and watch them, then the likelihood that of one of the them hoses the 300k in a given you made in savings is quite small, after 2 years, the saving is 600k... and so on.

It's a strange kind of (self-inflicted) slavery organised via decepetion and blackmail, and once employers start to close ranks on it, it's hard to break.

The only way a person can escape this by breaking with social conventions and by giving up all they have worked and studied for their entire life. Not so easy to do if you're in student debt and are still all revved up, hoping to make it like everyone else once did.

Edited by Cinnamon

HOLA4425
I wish Gordon would leave the Uk. Preferably for somewhere like Somalia. Or North Korea.

Haven't people in Somalia and North Korea suffered enough?

I wish Broon would go back to whatever bridge he used to live under and leave us all alone.