House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
niceathome

One For Gus

Have you looked at the house in Perriswood, might even be called Perriswood.

Near Oxwich, period home, nicely looked after and refurbished. This is important as it can be a ******* getting tradesmen down that far from town.

Secluded, remote even.

I'm sure that it's been reduced a few times and probably has a bit further to go.

And what do you do when you want to go for a pint? Pubs on the Gower aren't that brill IMPO and all a drive away. How about a curry or a chinese or any meal out? Want to go to the gym or to a concert?

Long drive into town - expensive taxi ride to and from your house - and if you drive yourself then no drinking and driving.

Yes, the Gower is lovely but it is a nice place to visit and nothing more. Friends of mine who have visited the Gower always ask where the pretty villages are like in Devon/Cornwall or the Cotswolds, etc? There aren't any - just a collection of ad hoc houses with little sense of community. Don't get me started on the locals.

I know a good 5 or 6 couples, and a couple of singles, who moved down the Gower, lived there for about 3 years tops and then moved back into Swansea because they were so bored of living down there.

Ask yourselves why so many houses on the Gower are constantly on the market. Look at Reynoldston for example, there must be a good 12 - 16 houses for sale in Reynoldston currently. What is that - 25 or 30 percent of the housing stock? If it is such a great place to live then why so many houses on the market? Think about it.

On a different note, Swansea was deserted tonight. I decided to make a rare bi-annual visit to Swansea City centre and the place was deserted - even that awful Wind Street was pretty quiet. It was warm, it was sunny, it is a bank holiday and so you would expect the place to be buzzing. Pubs were mostly empty and hardly anyone was going into the nightclubs.

There's a storm coming.

Have you looked at the house in Perriswood, might even be called Perriswood.

Near Oxwich, period home, nicely looked after and refurbished. This is important as it can be a ******* getting tradesmen down that far from town.

Secluded, remote even.

I'm sure that it's been reduced a few times and probably has a bit further to go.

For me, these places bring to mind gentil poverty. Either hubby died years ago and she's hanging on to a small pension with lingering pretentions, or else wannabes who overstretched to buy and then dicovered they could not afford to renovate or maintain. They end up trying to do the work themselves, or on the cheap and cause havoc in the process.

This place has the potential to be a lovely family home , but, needs money spent on it, so that 550K makes it too expensive .What else would we expect from GCP?

I need something smallish (3 bed max) easy to maintain, in good nick, but private and far away from boy-racers, uncontrolled noisy kids, barking dogs and inquisitive, invasive neighbours. Unfortunately, in Swansea ,choice is limited because the lobotomised builders automatically equate dollars with size, multiple plinths and columns , conservatories and raised decking. Maybe a static in Oxwich for 8 months a year is the answer.

And what do you do when you want to go for a pint? Pubs on the Gower aren't that brill IMPO and all a drive away. How about a curry or a chinese or any meal out? Want to go to the gym or to a concert?

Long drive into town - expensive taxi ride to and from your house - and if you drive yourself then no drinking and driving.

Yes, the Gower is lovely but it is a nice place to visit and nothing more. Friends of mine who have visited the Gower always ask where the pretty villages are like in Devon/Cornwall or the Cotswolds, etc? There aren't any - just a collection of ad hoc houses with little sense of community. Don't get me started on the locals.

I know a good 5 or 6 couples, and a couple of singles, who moved down the Gower, lived there for about 3 years tops and then moved back into Swansea because they were so bored of living down there.

Ask yourselves why so many houses on the Gower are constantly on the market. Look at Reynoldston for example, there must be a good 12 - 16 houses for sale in Reynoldston currently. What is that - 25 or 30 percent of the housing stock? If it is such a great place to live then why so many houses on the market? Think about it.

On a different note, Swansea was deserted tonight. I decided to make a rare bi-annual visit to Swansea City centre and the place was deserted - even that awful Wind Street was pretty quiet. It was warm, it was sunny, it is a bank holiday and so you would expect the place to be buzzing. Pubs were mostly empty and hardly anyone was going into the nightclubs.

There's a storm coming.

Tulip, do you know that d*ck head at the top of the Mayals? He parks his own chopper on the grass opposite his house.(Much to the annoyance of his neighbours I know ). Now that has to be the ultimate solution to summer traffic congestion in the Gower. But I wish he'd fly it over the Taliban-controlled territory of Llanelli ..... just once!

Tulip, do you know that d*ck head at the top of the Mayals? He parks his own chopper on the grass opposite his house.(Much to the annoyance of his neighbours I know ). Now that has to be the ultimate solution to summer traffic congestion in the Gower. But I wish he'd fly it over the Taliban-controlled territory of Llanelli ..... just once!

Helicopters - dual engined Sea Kings flown by RAF or RN pilots and maintained them by them - nothing else.

Even The Mayals is difficult - one bus an hour which stops about tea-time and even less regular on Sundays and bank holidays. Every where you go has to be in a car but The Mayals is a 1000 times preferable to live in than anywhere else on the Gower IMPO. Even Pennard/Southgate is too far out and sod all to do down there.