House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldielocks

The Council Compulsory Purchased My House And Then Refused To Sell One Of His Properties Directly To Me?is This Legal

When I first received a compulsory purchased order I agreed to sell my house to the council I was interested in one of their properties. They bought it at at auction back in 2003 for £50.000 . It had to be completly rennovated but it was a really large property and I really liked it. I've been consulting with the council for over a year and the house has been completely renovated and is almost ready. The thing is that the whole process took more than a year to complete due mostly to legal issues . In fact the council had refused to sell the house straight to me but it said that he had to sell it to a housing association first and that we had to buy it off them at market value. At the beginning they said that in this way we would have speed up the process . This was untrue as the works needed in the house only took three months to be completed and two moving date had to be postponed. I have found on the Internet a grant section 22 agreement between the housing association and the council and I'm now wondering if this has something to do with it ( the housing association get a grant to renovate empty properties ) My husband is disabled and we have 3 young children. We have lived in a desolated empty street for months and my patience is wearing out.. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if by refusing to sell the house straight to me they were within their rights. This week they assured me that the signing over of the house to the housing association would be complete and then we will be able to start procedure to acquire the house. I'm quite puzzled by those procedures any advice would be welcomed . Thanks :)

When I first received a compulsory purchased order I agreed to sell my house to the council I was interested in one of their properties. They bought it at at auction back in 2003 for £50.000 . It had to be completly rennovated but it was a really large property and I really liked it. I've been consulting with the council for over a year and the house has been completely renovated and is almost ready. The thing is that the whole process took more than a year to complete due mostly to legal issues . In fact the council had refused to sell the house straight to me but it said that he had to sell it to a housing association first and that we had to buy it off them at market value. At the beginning they said that in this way we would have speed up the process . This was untrue as the works needed in the house only took three months to be completed and two moving date had to be postponed. I have found on the Internet a grant section 22 agreement between the housing association and the council and I'm now wondering if this has something to do with it ( the housing association get a grant to renovate empty properties ) My husband is disabled and we have 3 young children. We have lived in a desolated empty street for months and my patience is wearing out.. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if by refusing to sell the house straight to me they were within their rights. This week they assured me that the signing over of the house to the housing association would be complete and then we will be able to start procedure to acquire the house. I'm quite puzzled by those procedures any advice would be welcomed . Thanks :)

See a lawyer, urgently.

See a lawyer, urgently.

The Law Society will give you a list of local Solicitors, who will meet with you for free, [usually for an Hour]and give you advice.

Good Luck.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/productsandse.../helplines.page