House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

The Daily Show's Take On The Expenses Scandal

Yeah. I was a stand-up comedian back in the day, and John Oliver's rise was always somewhat mysterious. I remember attending one of his shows at Edinburgh which was greeted with almost total audience silence. I was watching a journalist next to me taking copious notes and thinking "Jesus this is going to get slaughtered".

Read the reviews the next day and it was 5 stars all round!

He's the sort of bloke who makes you wonder how much the world revolves around conspiracy.......

Great clip. Surprised you guys dont like John Oliver, think he's consistently good on the Daily Show myself.

John Oliver appeals to the Yanks. He's pretty simple to understand. Sums up the difference in humor (sorry humour). I was at a Dinner Party once-attended by some pretty intelligent guys and gals. I told the Winston Churchill-Lady Astor thing (don't even think it was Winnie anyway but never mind). Ended up with the accepted punchline "Madam you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober"-result nowt-apart from a sympathy laugh from the Missus.

Fast forward one year-same gathering apart from a newcomer who tells the same friggin thing but ends with "Madam you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly". Result-people falling off chairs lafin. And there you have it.

John Oliver appeals to the Yanks. He's pretty simple to understand. Sums up the difference in humor (sorry humour). I was at a Dinner Party once-attended by some pretty intelligent guys and gals. I told the Winston Churchill-Lady Astor thing (don't even think it was Winnie anyway but never mind). Ended up with the accepted punchline "Madam you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober"-result nowt-apart from a sympathy laugh from the Missus.

Fast forward one year-same gathering apart from a newcomer who tells the same friggin thing but ends with "Madam you are ugly and tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly". Result-people falling off chairs lafin. And there you have it.

of course it couldnt possibly be that you just aren't funny?