House Price Crash Forum

Britons Face Losing Savings As Dubai Property Market Collapses

HOLA441

Britons face losing savings as Dubai property market collapses

Britons who invested hundreds of thousands of pounds in unbuilt property during Dubai's boom years face losing the money after a collapse in the market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-collapses.html

"Invested"?!? :lol::lol:

It was ALWAYS a pile of absolute SH1T.

Edited by eric pebble

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Nick Jasani, from St Albans, bought two shops off-plan as an investment, paying a deposit of £100,000. He believes there is little chance of them being built but the project has not been cancelled enabling him to reclaim his money.

"I am totally fed up," he said. He has written to the British government asking it to intervene.

"Investors signed up to payment schedules that were in no way linked to milestones," she said. "That's how the market worked here, and purchasers didn't query it because they were making so much money from property. It's become an issue because they are no longer making money."

///

Perhaps they could have read the contracts, done a couple of hours research on the internet and worked out what they were paying for and when it was going to be completed.

Edited by Tom Peters

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Link does not work :(

Its probably been blocked by the Dubai authorities who censor everything. :lol: Who wants to live in a country which is not a liberal democracy and has no real freedoms (except the freedom to make or it seems lose loads of money).

HOLA4410
Work has slowed or stopped on swathes of building sites, including on a second "Palm Island". The city was planning a series of artificial peninsulas in the shape of palm trees packed with seafront holiday villas :blink: , but only one is finished.

That may be the most vulgar thing ever conceived. Sorry, anyone investing in that needs locking up for crimes against taste.

Editted to add: I just had a peek at the thing on Google Earth and good grief, it's astonishing. The "fronds" are about a mile long. Shame it looks more like a bacterium than a palm tree though.

Edited by Horridbloke

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

OZYMANDIAS

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,

Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown

And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,

The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

"Investors signed up to payment schedules that were in no way linked to milestones," she said. "That's how the market worked here, and purchasers didn't query it because they were making so much money from property. It's become an issue because they are no longer making money."

Thats how scammers work ANY market. purchasers are fooled by the greed sold to them as investment.

HOLA4419

Nick Jasani, from St Albans, bought two shops off-plan as an investment, paying a deposit of £100,000. He believes there is little chance of them being built but the project has not been cancelled enabling him to reclaim his money.

"I am totally fed up," he said. He has written to the British government asking it to intervene.

Diddums.

I can understand the govt intervening if youre facing the death penalty or something, but because a property investment didnt turn out quite how you expected?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I wonder long will it take for the sea to erode the palm tree islands without constant maintenance, not very long this is without taking into account the possibility of rising sea levels.

The parable about the man who built his house on sand is literally true this time.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425