Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muswell Hillbilly

House Price Falls ‘aid’ Key Staff

Recommended Posts

House price falls ‘aid’ key staff

It makes a change to see a story showing house price falls as a positive thing for once. So now teachers and police officers can afford to buy property in 39% of Scottish towns! Those of us in the remaining 61% of towns can just do without teachers and polis …

Not much aid to key staff who bought a house in the last 2/3 years though... more of a hindrance I'd have thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not much aid to key staff who bought a house in the last 2/3 years though... more of a hindrance I'd have thought

Don't be silly. According to the HPC collective, no key staff bought houses to live in during the boom as none could afford it. It was all greedy avaricious speculative BTL investors dontchaknow...... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So now teachers and police officers can afford to buy property in 39% of Scottish towns! Those of us in the remaining 61% of towns can just do without teachers and polis …

And yet amazingly enough, they live in every town in Scotland. How did they manage that when it was all so unnafordable? Oh, thats right, they just got on with it and afforded it anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is truly a 'tipping point' moment to watch BBC Scotland, so long the cheerleader of the "Scotland's different" tendency, change its tune by actually conceding that affordable housing is a benefit to Scotland in general.

We can expect more and more bearish sentiment from Pacific Quay in the coming months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is truly a 'tipping point' moment to watch BBC Scotland, so long the cheerleader of the "Scotland's different" tendency, change its tune by actually conceding that affordable housing is a benefit to Scotland in general.

We can expect more and more bearish sentiment from Pacific Quay in the coming months.

And if the last crash is anything to go by, the tipping point back to growth was exactly the point where the media thought it could only get worse.

Excellent. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And yet amazingly enough, they live in every town in Scotland. How did they manage that when it was all so unnafordable? Oh, thats right, they just got on with it and afforded it anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, that's right, all the teachers I know in Manchester that share a rented house because none of them can afford to buy a house, and the numerous Edinburgh coppers that live 15-20 miles from their work because they could only afford to buy pokey flats in Inverkeithing or South Queensferry, yes the overpriced houses didn't affect them at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely nobody earns less than an MP????? Those who commute for hours at vast expense to live in a depreciating slave box must be making a 'lifestyle choice'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And if the last crash is anything to go by, the tipping point back to growth was exactly the point where the media thought it could only get worse.

Excellent. :lol:

You've missed the point. Pacific Quay is now putting out the message that improved affordability is better, not worse. This was not a feel-bad, 'sky is falling' thing - it was a 'feel-good' report.

Which, of course, is a correct interpretation on Pacific Quay's part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And yet amazingly enough, they live in every town in Scotland. How did they manage that when it was all so unnafordable? Oh, thats right, they just got on with it and afforded it anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indeed, and a few of them will have got into bother over the last few years.

Friend of mine is a teacher in his mid-twenties, bought a one bedroom flat for £92,500 in september 07. Last week I saw a flat with the exact same design two streets down on RM for £75k.

So he "afforded" it, in fact he even told me at the time I really had to get on the ladder as prices were only ever going to go up. Now I don't know when he'll be able to upsize to a two bedroom that would allow him to start a family with his gf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And yet amazingly enough, they live in every town in Scotland. How did they manage that when it was all so unnafordable? Oh, thats right, they just got on with it and afforded it anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A lot of people 'afforded' a lot of things thanks to the historic tidal surge of credit.

That tide has well and truly turned. High water is marked only by denial-phase house prices.

"Just getting on with it" has connotations of industriousness and personal responsibility to it.

- But you are not talking about working to produce stuff, merely buying stuff;

and when the price paid and the debt incurred puts family finances in jeopardy, that gives the lie to connotations of personal responsibility.

A point was reached, in the last few years, beyond which to continue to ride that tidal surge of credit amounted to stupidity. Some tried hard but called it wrong, others called it right, many more are just clueless about the whole situation.

A lot of clueless people "just got on with it". An uber-clueless core still do (though their numbers are dwindling).

It's still a stupid time to buy (unless at a steep discount).

In the mean time "just get on with it" - earning and saving money that is. This time the connotations of industriousness and personal responsibility are wholly appropriate.

There will come a time when it is stupid not to buy - but that could be 2 years away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NO!!!!!! :blink:

People actually have to live 20 minutes away from their work????????

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, how terrible it would be if key workers were actually able to live within the communities that they service. My, that might improve things, a sense of community may be restarted. I paint a picture of such a terrible society.

Of course, 10 years ago this was the case. Oh, my Utopian dreaming....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And yet amazingly enough, they live in every town in Scotland. How did they manage that when it was all so unnafordable? Oh, thats right, they just got on with it and afforded it anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wish I had just

got on with it
, I would have wiped out a considerable amount of my savings.

You are the sage of property Hamish.......so so clever. Do you have any other miraculous ways for me to lose my money now I have "missed the boat".... :lol:

Can someone else on here please educate this spanner what the word "afford" means... I plain really just can't be bothered with him/her anymore.

Edited by geed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   285 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.