House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brassed off brit

Suicidal Mp's

It has been mentioned that in the halls of westminster they fear some MP may commit suicide, now forgive me but that is a big step to take on expenses.

I can only think some MP knows they are bieng saved till last and the troughing is on a scale we can only have nightmares of.

I also personally think it will be a long standing MP who is in a safe seat (not for long) and who his constituents know where he lives.

Any thoughts on who the big trougher may be?

It is odd that this suicide business surfaced months before even the Telegraph exposé emerged and has been talked about on a few different occasions since.

Suicide is a terrible thing.

People often make silly, stupid and grandiose statements about the person who commits suicide being selfish.

The reality is that people who commit suicide get to such a bleak, lonely and desperate place in life that it becomes a void of despair and emptiness that few people can understand. I hope no one on this board ever gets even remotely near there.

I hope that no MP will attempt suicide as a result of this, nor any member of his or her family, but I do think that it is a possible outcome to all the stress, embarrassment and such-like that many MPs, and their families, are now going through.

Let us hope that there are no suicides nor attempted suicides as a result of this.

Let us hope that anyone who is in a bleak place in life has at least one friend to talk to. You know, simply stopping and asking a friend if they are OK and listening to them chat for an hour or so can often be the difference between someone taking their own life and living.

Guest UK Debt Slave

People often make silly, stupid and grandiose statements about the person who commits suicide being selfish.

The reality is that people who commit suicide get to such a bleak, lonely and desperate place in life that it becomes a void of despair and emptiness that few people can understand. I hope no one on this board ever gets even remotely near there.

I hope that no MP will attempt suicide as a result of this, nor any member of his or her family, but I do think that it is a possible outcome to all the stress, embarrassment and such-like that many MPs, and their families, are now going through.

Let us hope that there are no suicides nor attempted suicides as a result of this.

Let us hope that anyone who is in a bleak place in life has at least one friend to talk to. You know, simply stopping and asking a friend if they are OK and listening to them chat for an hour or so can often be the difference between someone taking their own life and living.

They can always talk to Ann Widdecombe

She was a Samaritan apparently!

Any link?

And yes, suicide is selfishness - the selfishness that cannot see beyond its own importance. Not difficult to understand, but the psychology industry needs to make it difficult.

Guest sillybear2
It has been mentioned that in the halls of westminster they fear some MP may commit suicide, now forgive me but that is a big step to take on expenses.

Oh right, so we better all just shut up then and forget this whole mess and pretend everything is fine, maybe the police should also let the odd bank job through if they hear the robber is feeling a bit low at the time?

If this is the only way they seek to gain sympathy for MP's then it's pretty pathetic. If there really is some merit to this gossip then they should call an immediate general election or MP's should step down and trigger by-elections, we cannot have suicidal or unstable people running the country, they need to find a less pressurised environment if that greed infested den of thieves has affected their functioning so deeply.

Suicide completely wrecks families,it is horrid thing to happen.

which is why these high "n" mighty MP's might get a bit of a wake-up call when a couple of these guys have to attend the funerals of some of their colleagues,and witness first hand the expressions of utter despair on the faces of his/her spouse and offspring.

It ain't pretty,and unfortunate as it is,this is what it might take for them to contemplate some of the legislation they put through.

It is odd that this suicide business surfaced months before even the Telegraph exposé emerged and has been talked about on a few different occasions since.

You ask exactly the same question as Dizzy on his blog.

'MP Suicide Watch' is nothing new it just might be more widespread

at 5/22/2009 02:45:00 PM

Back at the end of April, the Daily Mail ran a story titled "Love cheat MPs on 'suicide watch' as expense claims threaten to expose affairs". This was before the Telegraph started its stories, but was about the expected July release of information. The paper said,

A Commons source told the Mail: 'The whips have three Labour MPs on suicide watch. That's how serious this scandal is. The whips believe they might kill themselves.'

As we all know, easy money can cloud good judgement. There maybe those who have not necessarily embezzled any more than the average piggy, but have got into real trouble.

And for all we know, some MPs may have been paying blackmail already. Where there is a den of corruption, anything is possible.

I wish someone would talk to me -- I've only recently realised that I really want a Duck House. I didn't know I needed one until now, and, not having one, I'm feeling very depressed!

(A little more) seriously though, let's not forget there are many, many people out here in the real world to whom just a little of the monies MPs have received would be very welcome.

We have to decide, as a nation, which of the three options we want moving forward:

• Have a small government, and don't pay out to help those with nothing. You help yourself or, well, tough.

• Have a large government, and we give you hand outs when you fall over. We pay for this by raising income tax on the middle and higher earners -- of which I'm one. (My preference -- no, no, please don't shout me down!)

• Have a large government, and we give you hand outs when you fall over. We pay for this by borrowing. (The 'third way')

Maybe we will get a reformed political system where these three options can be properly thrashed out, and everyone can get involved. Like many I am watching events unfold with great interest.

Yes, MPs may feel they are suicidal, but if that is what it takes to have an '1832' moment, then so be it. It has been a long time in coming, and I for one am really impressed at how quickly this has happened. The Daily Telegraph clearly has an agenda (get a Tory Gvt, something I would vociferously oppose). But as I say I am stunned at how it has happened. We are living through exciting times.

Fascinating!

Any link?

And yes, suicide is selfishness - the selfishness that cannot see beyond its own importance. Not difficult to understand, but the psychology industry needs to make it difficult.

It's only selfish if someone else gives a shit, otherwise, who knew?

Guest sillybear2

Don't fear Tulip, these people have no sense of shame or embarrassment, Steen sums up their collective attitude succinctly, he gave an honest interview, that's how these little piggies really feel about this whole mess. Nobody has even resigned their seat remember. See, no shame, no sense of honour.

Any talk of suicide is simply melodramatics, they belittle the subject and the people who are really in the grip of dark times. Being refused an £8k plasma screen or having your duck pond revealed hardly figures.

I wish someone would talk to me -- I've only recently realised that I really want a Duck House. I didn't know I needed one until now, and, not having one, I'm feeling very depressed!

(A little more) seriously though, let's not forget there are many, many people out here in the real world to whom just a little of the monies MPs have received would be very welcome.

Well. Let me be conspiracy theorist here.

I don't believe too many MPs want Duck Houses or bookcases at £18,000 a pop.

Out of a random sample of 650 Right Honorables, I tend to think at least one would be spending more on the odd whore and snort of cocaine. Doncha think?

'I say old chap, coming out on a bender tonight, what?'

'Er, sorry Reggie, promised the wife I'd do a little moat cleaning.'

Yeah, right.

There will be glib comments made by people who have no insight of the despair felt by those who do take their own lives.

MP's expenses should not cause any one to commit suicide unless they already have massive problems.

+1.

I hope no one on this board ever gets even remotely near there.

+1 Been there. Still here.

I can only think some MP knows they are bieng saved till last and the troughing is on a scale we can only have nightmares of.

I also personally think it will be a long standing MP who is in a safe seat (not for long) and who his constituents know where he lives.

Any thoughts on who the big trougher may be?

Give them all guns.

Surely they are free to leave and earn the massive salaries that the private sector is queueing up to pay them. If we have the nerve to query the scams they are running to top up the pitiful £64K public servant's salary, then we do not deserve them!

On the other hand if suicide seems a better option than the trough just whack in a final expenses claim for the services of Dignitas.