House Price Crash Forum
Mega

Gordon V Merv (get Your Popcorn)

Too late for Swervyn to resign, he has already headed the most criminally negligent period of central banking.

Yeah, but was he doing the job he was told to do?

I sort of get that impression from reading on here.

"Target inflation ... and here are your inflation measures ..."

Mr Brown has been advised by US president Barack Obama’s campaign team – now working for Labour – that he must fight the next election with an optimistic outlook, contrasting with Tory leader David Cameron’s rhetoric on the need for “an age of austerity”.

--WTF?

--WTF?

WTF +1 :blink:

What the hell is that all about?

Can someone post the article in full please.

This should work

(if you google for the article title, you generally either get a link directly, or by clicking on google's "News" link. No idea why it works, just one of many handy things I've learned on HPC :lol:)

Edit: damn, it didn't work! ... try getting there via google.

Edited by huw

This should work

(if you google for the article title, you generally either get a link directly, or by clicking on google's "News" link. No idea why it works, just one of many handy things I've learned on HPC :lol:)

Thanks. ;)

The "quote" is not from the article referenced (which seems harmless).

This works for me, but that may require pasting it directly into your browser's location bar:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3dc58ba0-4713-11...144feabdc0.html

Brown to Bank: lighten up

By George Parker and Chris Giles in London

Published: May 22 2009 23:35 | Last updated: May 22 2009 23:35

The Bank of England’s gloomy outlook for the economy has stoked tensions between Gordon Brown and Mervyn King, the Bank’s governor, with senior government officials complaining that the central bank is handing ammunition to the Tories.

There is growing irritation in Downing Street and the Treasury towards Mr King. The prime minister and Alistair Darling, chancellor, have been left fuming by the governor’s interventions, most notably after his downbeat assessment this month of the economic outlook, a viewpoint pounced on by the Conservatives.

Although Mr King’s forecasts were broadly similar to those set out by Mr Darling in last month’s Budget, the governor’s gloom-laden press conference at the launch of the central bank’s latest quarterly inflation report was watched with dismay in government circles.

“If you’d watched Mervyn on the news you’d have thought the world was a terrible place,” said one official in the Brown administration. Another talked of barely disguised dislike between the prime minister and governor when they met.

Official data on Friday confirmed the severity of the downturn. Household spending fell at its fastest for almost 30 years in the first quarter, while the biggest drop in wages and benefits for more than half a century pointed to further economic weakness ahead.

The data came a day after Standard & Poor’s warned that Britain might lose triple A credit rating for its debt.

Mr Brown has been advised by US president Barack Obama’s campaign team – now working for Labour – that he must fight the next election with an optimistic outlook, contrasting with Tory leader David Cameron’s rhetoric on the need for “an age of austerity”.

Neither Mr Brown nor Mr Darling suspects party political motives but they believe the governor’s willingness to speak out and what they see as his occasional naivety are playing into Tory hands.

The Bank of England insists it is just trying to tell a straight story. One official said there was no intention of talking the economy down, but acknowledged that tension with the government could arise.

Last year Mr Darling was outraged to discover that Mr King had briefed David Cameron, Tory leader, on highly sensitive plans to recapitalise Britain’s banks, allowing the opposition leader to claim the idea as his own. The Conservatives insist it was Mr Cameron’s own work. The Bank says it is not in the business of giving the opposition party leaked information.

But the Bank’s viewpoint – which sometimes represents an alternative economic stance to the government – is increasingly being reflected by George Osborne, shadow chancellor.

Additional reporting by Daniel Pimlott

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009

The Bank of England’s gloomy outlook for the economy has stoked tensions between Gordon Brown and Mervyn King, the Bank’s governor, with senior government officials complaining that the central bank is handing ammunition to the Tories.

The only people handing ammunition to the Tories are the current incompetents in charge. I am no fan of Merv, but his occasional faliure to tow the party line really shows up Labour as the paranoid control freaks they really are. Should the general public put their heads back in the sand and hope Gordy saves the world again and makes the nasty downturn, that started in America vanish?

Yeah, but was he doing the job he was told to do?

I sort of get that impression from reading on here.

"Target inflation ... and here are your inflation measures ..."

Exactly - though, I have to say - no need for popcorn here...

When it comes to Gordon V Mervyn - there's no contest: one is an erudite, professional, collected, informed, honest, capable man who is aware of his limitations... whereas the other is a lying sack of effluent... hell-bent on exploiting the public service to the advantage of cronies while lying consistently and reprehensibly to the electorate on every matter imaginable - all the time refusing to be held to account for previous pledges.

If you're still in doubt, ask yourself this: Who decided to take advice from Arthur Anderson with respect to taxation... and even allowed this to become public knowledge? Enough said?

lol

i already have my tickets for Wembly when Gordon Brown is going to give a roaring speach that will leave women with moist nickers and men er, you know..

anyway, i have my Gordon Brown car sticker, garden poster, t-shirt and fire works. tomorrow im going to church for a sermon praising the man, gordon brown that is.

its all set

Wembly!! woot woot!!! Full house Gordo!!!

Merv: sorry Gordon, but its just bleak out there, the banks are insolvent, property is falling making the banks worse, and QE solves nothing.

Gordon: (Silk) No its not, its nice out, its sunny, it just CANT be gloomy. It Cant, It cant, I WONT be gloomy.

Merv: there there Mr B, no need to pout and cry.

Gordon: Its not fair. It IS nice you horrid man.

Merv: Sorry, now take your thumb out of your mouth and I can hear you better.

Gordon: Wont. Its not fair. I HATE you.

Merv: right you, get inyour room and dont come out till I tell you. And if you keep screaming you wont get any tea tonight.

Gordon: Slams number 10 door and smashes a few phones and widescreens......

continues at dusk as Gordon, in spite of his grounding, escapes through a skylight to meet his new boyfriend...Obama...

So we have an independent bank acting independently and refusing to play cheerleader to the liars in power.

I'm no Mystic Merv fan but he could do us all a favour and be brutally honest and finish Brown off, if an election is called it will be interesting to see what comes out of the BoE, I'm starting to get the feeling they will openly contradict what the Liebour say.

This should work

Another way is to change the "Authorised=false.html" to "Authorised=true.html" in the URL. Possibly the easiest webpage in the world to hack! :P

The "quote" is not from the article referenced (which seems harmless).

Eh? Definitely in the version I looked at, and in the copy pasted in this thread.