House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Bristol £60,000 Benefit Cheat Escapes Prison

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Br...il/article.html

A mum who claimed £60,000 in benefits when she was not entitled to any of it has been given a suspended prison sentence.

For five-and-a-half years Lisa Badlam wrongly claimed income support, housing benefit and council tax benefit .

The 39-year-old used some of the money to do up the family's red-brick home in Blakeney Road, Horfield.

The rest she spent on her five children.

A judge let her walk free from court with only a suspended prison sentence and a curfew order making her stay indoors between 8pm and 8am.

She will not have to wear an electronic tag , she will not even have to pay towards the £1,556 prosecution costs of her court case.

Nor will jobless Badlam have to do any unpaid work for the community because she was considered "unable".

She will merely have to attend a course of employment training and education.

Well, if MPs are getting away with it, or merely having to stand down at the next election you can hardly be too tough on others who steal from the taxpayer can you?

Well, if MPs are getting away with it, or merely having to stand down at the next election you can hardly be too tough on others who steal from the taxpayer can you?

Exactly. If I ever get caught stealing, I will just say to the Police "Ok, I will give it back so we can just forget about it".

I'm a Probation Officer and I regularly write Pre-Sentence Reports on people like this who have defrauded the taxpayers. Before the MP expenses scandal I must admit that I didn't have much sympathy for them. However, as there seems to be one set of rules for the piggy scum in power and another set of rules for everyone else, now I just ask the Courts to be as lenient as possible with them. But if I had to write a report on Hazel Blears then I don't think I would be able to propose anything apart from custody! :angry: :angry:

Strange that such a weak sentence should be given in these circumstances, surely the judge would be aware that this sort of sentence would result in public outrage and make the headlines. Perhaps the judge has sympathy for the plight of the politicians and would like to see the public turn their attention away from public service scroungers and turn their hate towards benefit scroungers instead.

60K ? Isn't that about one tenth of a nano-percent of the junk debts we've had to consume on behalf of the banksters.

Non-story -_-

"In July 2008 a Department for Work and Pensions data match highlighted the defendant might have a partner living with her.

Especially when one such MP who perpetrates similar behaviour is the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions himself...

'In praise of benefit fraud':

http://www.davidosler.com/2009/05/in_prais...efit_fraud.html

ON JOBSEEKER’S, shacked up with the girlf, splitting the rent but still claiming full whack housing benefit? You could be looking at custodial, mate. The Department of Work and Pensions website warns:

There are no exceptions. People who knowingly withhold information or deliberately fail to report a change in their circumstances are benefit thieves. It is not 'playing the game' - it is breaking the law!

Secretary of State at the DWP, shacked up with the girlf, splitting the rent but still claiming full whack second home allowance as an MP? If your name is James Purnell, such behaviour is 'within the rules', as the current euphemism has it. So there are exceptions after all.

[...snip...]

The reality is that the vast majority of ‘benefit cheats’ are people who are so hard up that they have no choice but to do what they have got to do. That is what makes the current DWP poster campaign - 'Benefit thieves, we're closing in' - quite so stomach-turning. Now we find out that the slick Blairite politician running the show himself perpetrates behaviour absolutely analogous to benefit fraud in all respects save the provenance of the handout. Hypocrisy doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I'm a Probation Officer and I regularly write Pre-Sentence Reports on people like this who have defrauded the taxpayers. Before the MP expenses scandal I must admit that I didn't have much sympathy for them. However, as there seems to be one set of rules for the piggy scum in power and another set of rules for everyone else, now I just ask the Courts to be as lenient as possible with them. But if I had to write a report on Hazel Blears then I don't think I would be able to propose anything apart from custody! :angry: :angry:

Coalface.

Word.

Ah yes, and i remember, as an Icesaver, less than 12 months ago, being reminded of, the concept of moral hazzard, on this very forum.

IT SEEMS WE'VE ALL SLIPPED A COUPLE OF NOTCHES EH???? EH???