House Price Crash Forum
Flatdog

They Don't Allow It On The Bus

Planning on doing a bit of DIY this weekend…like painting walls and stuff.

Popped in to our local DIY emporium…TRAGO Liskeard..ha ha..

Balancing 2 x 5 litre tins of Dulux emulsion, lengths of shelving, bits of aluminium edging and various decorating sundries mostly contained within a flimsy little blue plastic trolley at the checkout…

I mentioned to the elderly fellow (who was brandishing a set of bath taps) in the queue behind me that it would be a bit of a mission for me to get the stuff out to my car…

''You'm got a car'' said he, '' I used to have one of 'em too, brilliant 'twas, a'fore I retired like''

'Tis funny really, I need paint too but they'm won't allow it on the bus''

'kin ell…

Think about it.

I've heard that before.

Mind you I've carried a set of stepladders on the bus once. That was pure amusement for everyone but me :)

Must be a Brussels thing..when a set of ladders is allowed on a bus but a can of paint ain't.. :lol:

Freaks me out that this elderly fellow (well...he was a few years older than I...I guess :( ) would have recourse only to a taxi service, friends or family should he wish to transport a can of paint.

''You'm got a car'' said he, '' I used to have one of 'em too, brilliant 'twas, a'fore I retired like''

'Tis funny really, I need paint too but they'm won't allow it on the bus''

Mainly because paint is usually inflammable.

I don't have a great problem with bus companies refusing to carry bulk inflammable material. If you need it that much, then pay for a taxi or get it delivered.

Yes, I was just wondering how they would know that you were carrying paint?

I mean, it's not as if you'd jump on the bus and immediately declare: 'I'm carrying paint'.

Yes, I was just wondering how they would know that you were carrying paint?

I mean, it's not as if you'd jump on the bus and immediately declare: 'I'm carrying paint'.

If you have a big tin it's fairly obvious. Especially if you're carrying it by the handle.

Personally I would just put a couple of tins in a rucksack then nobody would know.

If you have a big tin it's fairly obvious. Especially if you're carrying it by the handle.

Personally I would just put a couple of tins in a rucksack then nobody would know.

The subtle humour of Frank Hovis strike again?

Someone got this onto the front page of the local rag in this area; wasn't allowed on the bus to a nearby town. He dwelt really nicely on how much faster the train turned out to be :)

The bus company said it was because paint would make an almighty mess of the bus if he dropped the tin and spilt it.

So the moral of the story is don't carry the tins of paint onto the bus by the handle. Carry them onto the bus in Tesco carrier bags to disguise them as harmless normal shopping, even if the handles are more likely to break.

Edited by mikeymadman

The bus company probably just doesn't want old men doing a bit of DIY clogging up the transport network, to make sure it has enough space for pissed chavs listening to music on their speak phones.

I had to take my 'cello on the bus once. T'was a struggle, and I had to pay for it to have a seat coz it wouldn't fit in the luggage area (wouldn't fit on the seat either). Not sure many of the ther passengers were amused as I clonked their elbows and knees on my way past to sit at the back. :rolleyes:

Never had a problem with emulsion catching fire before. I'd better watch out in future...

If your can burst, spilling emusion on top of the big piece of Potasium metal the passanger standing beside you happened to be carrying that would do it. So probably best to follow orders and not take the chance.