House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pilchardthecat

The Last Thing We Need Is A General Election

I've spent the last 18 months hoping for an election. I've now changed my mind.

I think i must be the only person in the country but I for one don't want to spend the next 5 years lumbered with a parliament that's derived from one issue reactionary anger against MP's expenses.

It's 5 years for goodness sake.

I tend to agree, must say

There's a shedload of issues that need to be thrashed out to set us on a new path, and I think people aren't yet ready for that. In a year it'll all be much clearer.

I agree a kneejerk reactionary vote isn't desireable,but is inevitible....just make sure you keep as many people informed of what's really going on as you can.

I just hope people can see past the real agenda of trying to fragment the country into nationalistic baronies based on old quarrels.

divide and conquer does not have to be done militarily,but if we fall prey to the politicised version it will devastate ALL of us,whether that be england,wales,scotland,NI.

despite our differences we have to do our best to keep some form of cohesion.

The mainstream parties are bricking it,because they know they've been crapping on people with identical spiel for a long time....and they now realise that they have to get their house in order.

to coin a phrase...we are all for diversity.

...so a little more diversity in the commons will stop any one mainstream party riding roughshod over the little people.

I think i must be the only person in the country but I for one don't want to spend the next 5 years lumbered with a parliament that's derived from one issue reactionary anger against MP's expenses.

Oh come on, it's exciting!

Politiicans have for years been saying that they want people to be engaged in the political process. Well, they got it!

I agree.

We need to vote on the issues, i.e. the main issue that Labour and Brown have bankrupted the country, far and away beyond any expenses claims.

Sort the expenses thing, sure, it's important. But let's vote on stuff that we the public disagree on. :huh:

Quite a few of the worst offenders won't be standing again, Cameron is kicking them out, and Labour may eventually get round to doing the same by the looks. It's a start.

Politiicans have for years been saying that they want people to be engaged in the political process. Well, they got it!

Yes, they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Hate mail is falling like rain on constituency offices. Millions tuned in to see Margaret Beckett booed.

Agree with Pilchard . . . I couldn't vote for anyone at the moment and the whole job description of an MP needs to be reformed before we elect any more pigs from any party.

But equally, many believe that the current mob don't deserve to stay in their jobs another day. I share that point of view too. If an election were to be held tomorrow, there'd be an enormous shakeout, which wouldn't be such a bad thing.

My feeling: Gordon will put off any reform until after an election and Cameron will be complicit. So you might as well have one sooner rather than later.

I tend to agree, must say

There's a shedload of issues that need to be thrashed out to set us on a new path, and I think people aren't yet ready for that. In a year it'll all be much clearer.

A lot of things will be clearer when we've heard the detail of the last four years expense claims..

My feeling: Gordon will put of any reform until after an election and Cameron will be complicit. So you might as well have one sooner rather than later.

that's the problem.

we know that this guy is DELIBERATELY wrecking the country...an economic pearl harbour if you will.

so him "getting on with the job" is not an option,him and the scum behind him have to be removed NOW.

would it be possible for a constitutonal "coup" by our military?...obviously the democratic approach is ideal,but if sanctions don't work,then the physical act of regime change has to remain on the table.

by that I mean forcible detatchment and disposal af these traitors,while keeping our existing bill of rights(which also means the right to keep and bear arms)

that particular document was devised at a time when we were under threat of invasion from the likes of the spanish armada...but nobody said that such overt means of occupation would be used the next time......and true enough it hasn't.

You're kidding, Brown needs to go right now. If anything I think it would be good to get a few reactionary votes. I don't think it would substantively change the outcome but it might create a few marginals, have a few people sitting on lean majorities, which would be all to the good. Is it because they are genuinely marginal seats or is it because people were angry about expenses? They'll never know. Which is great.

Edit: I should admit I want something close to a hung parliament with the Liberals in the middle. As you say Pilchard, it is for five years and I don't care if its Jesus and his Disciples filling the government benches, I don't think a huge majority is actually very helpful over the long run. For the first year, yes, they get to look decisive, they can force through their 'wedge' legislation,. but it isn't long before the arrogance kicks in and we're off to the races. Given the next parliament will just have to cut everything they can get a spreadsheet of I don't think massive latitude for clever ideological policies is desirable in any case. There isn't (or shouldn't be) any money for them to spend anyway.

Is it because they are genuinely marginal seats or is it because people were angry about expenses? They'll never know. Which is great.

An election now would certainly be about the sitting MP, from whichever party.

An enormous number would have to be deselected - whether they had blown taxpayer's money on John Lewis toasters, rabbit patrols in the back garden or simply fiddled the two homes dodge.

You are right, no one would know exactly why they were elected . . . which would keep everyone on their toes.

Correct - We need a military coup and a firing squad with approx. 650 bullets.

Edit: I believe Joanna Luvley has the Queen's ear on this..........

As soon as we get the election over and done with a new govt (of whatever colour) can take the necessary steps to start paying off debt. We are in a twilight world where all parties are trying to pretend that they will not make cuts that are obviously necessary. Lets get to the meaty issues of the election instead of worrying about expenses. We can string the ******* up after the election is over!

Party politics is getting in the way of making some ruthless political decisions before the IMF makes them for us!

Time is needed for charges to be brought against some MP's, deselections retirements and etc. No point in having election to vote for the same corrupt candidates. People are away for the summer so an election should be scheduled for October by which time anger will have subsided and we will have had time to debate the real issues.

+1

However greedy and arrogant these pigs have been, we need to think this through and come up with principles, rather than just be blindly angry. Once it expenses have been thought through, we can hopefully begin to think about how the country is being run.

You can get angry about 48 inch plasma TV's, just like everyone else. But suppose the MP has his own 48 inch plasma TV, funded from his own funds at home. He then comes down to Westminster for 4 nights a week. Should he be limited to a 12 inch Black and White, to assuage our anger? I don't think so. Actually, if he has a 48 inch plasma at home, I think he should be allowed one in his second home. But if he only has a 12 inch Black and White at home, that is all he should get in his second home. And when he leaves parliament, the TV should be handed back, to be eBayed or put in a skip, I don't mind, just as long as they get the equivalent of what they provide for themselves at home, but they don't line their pockets at our expense.

I suspect that last paragraph will generate some adverse reaction, but it is only when the issue is thrashed through and the principles understood and agreed that we will be in any position to think about electing the next lot.

Correct - We need a military coup and a firing squad with approx. 650 bullets.

Edit: I believe Joanna Luvley has the Queen's ear on this..........

IMHO didn't do herself any favours sucking up to gordon.

it was a matter of honour,and a grudging respect for reaching the right decision would have been far better on her part than a complete brown-nosing.

I think it could have carried a fair bit more weight with the general public too.....and would have completely beaten brown into submission without any chance for him to glean one bit of glory.

I know these politicians are delicate little flowers with easily bruised ego's,but the line has to be drawn somewhere.These children need to know when they are out of line and should respect reasonable chastisement.

A general election right now would be great.

Knee-jerk perhaps but we are badly in need of a shake-up and more power needs to go to the smaller parties compared to the first past the post dominating big 3.

Besides, we are long overdue a vote. Nobody voted for this cu*t Brown. People can say all they want that you vote for a party but at the end of the day, you also vote in your leader at the general election.

I think we need just one more anti-Labour incident in the next month or so and we'll get that general election. I hope that the papers have some good dirt.

Now if the tories promise to try zanu labour members with treason and disband the bbc, I might vote (but not necessarily for them!) :angry:

I think we need just one more anti-Labour incident in the next month or so and we'll get that general election. I hope that the papers have some good dirt.

Its the European elections that will be the start of the end :lol:

You can get angry about 48 inch plasma TV's, just like everyone else. But suppose the MP has his own 48 inch plasma TV, funded from his own funds at home. He then comes down to Westminster for 4 nights a week . . .

You know, the average is going to down to three and two nights.

Blair abolished the all-night sittings some years ago.

Parliament packs up latest around 7pm, which makes a nonsense of all those second homes for those who already live within easy commuting distance of London.

Then again, Parliament is in recess for 5 months of the year and they only do 2 or 3 days a week when it's sitting. Hazel Blears has only spoken in ten debates in a whole year. Some only once or twice FFS.

The fact is, we pay them to a do a job, not to watch TV. And they only do a part-time job at best.

A General Election now is not what we want. BNP and UKIP would do very well and it would be a disastrous knee jerk reaction vote.

The middle ground has been tarnished and the natural reaction is either to the far left or the far right.

I'm hoping that the Brits will show the world how great we really are (please dont puke on your keyboards) and elect decent people with real convictions and a will to serve.

I believe that the mother of all Parliaments is soon going to show the world a new way...with the election of independents that will signal the end of party politics.

However it is very worrying times. On the verge of the biggest depression ever, we have all lost faith in democracy...1929 indeed, and all that came after!

You'd be lucky to have one if the turnout at the recent Salford by election is anything to go by 17.5% turnout. Is that even an election really when over 80% of the population didn't bother. Hazel seemed chuffed with it.

http://www.labourlist.org/very_low_turnout...ord_labour_hold

Oh I think the low turn outs are a thing of the past now...for General elections anyhow.