House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
amoflaherty

Shared Utilities With Next Door - Advice Needed Urgently

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice please. We moved into our new rented prperty on 8th May and today received the inventory. A comment next to the meter reading for the gas was 'shared with next door'. This got my attention and so I checked and there is only one gas meter outside situated between both front doors. I've done further phoning around the utility companies and it appears there is only one water meter and one elect meter. When we moved in landlord had asked us to setup next door off our tv/internet contract as they had been cut off and their rent incl tv/interent, we said no that they needed to get their own installation. No mention was made of utilities, but I believe they are probably renting inclusive of all bills (no one at home next door).

The house we rent was in the past split into 2 parts xxx and xxxA, the landlord lived in xxx and we now have rented from them. We knew they also owned and let xxxA as they told us, however they never informed us that there is only one set of meters for both properties. If this note hadn't appeared on inventory we would have been none the wiser as the landlord never told us up front.

Is this legal ? How can we work out who is liable for what..at the moment we are liable for everything as all the utility companies have our name against all the meter readings !!

Thanks in advance,

Ann Marie

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice please. We moved into our new rented prperty on 8th May and today received the inventory. A comment next to the meter reading for the gas was 'shared with next door'. This got my attention and so I checked and there is only one gas meter outside situated between both front doors. I've done further phoning around the utility companies and it appears there is only one water meter and one elect meter. When we moved in landlord had asked us to setup next door off our tv/internet contract as they had been cut off and their rent incl tv/interent, we said no that they needed to get their own installation. No mention was made of utilities, but I believe they are probably renting inclusive of all bills (no one at home next door).

The house we rent was in the past split into 2 parts xxx and xxxA, the landlord lived in xxx and we now have rented from them. We knew they also owned and let xxxA as they told us, however they never informed us that there is only one set of meters for both properties. If this note hadn't appeared on inventory we would have been none the wiser as the landlord never told us up front.

Is this legal ? How can we work out who is liable for what..at the moment we are liable for everything as all the utility companies have our name against all the meter readings !!

Thanks in advance,

Ann Marie

Thanks...will try CAB tomorrow if no one else on forum has any advice before tackling the landlord on the issue.

Thanks...will try CAB tomorrow if no one else on forum has any advice before tackling the landlord on the issue.

The gas supplier is obliged to provide a supply to your premises and not to anyone else's. (look at the gas regulations on the HMSO website if you are bored. each premise needs a separate supply as if you are servicing/repairing gas appliances on one premise, you cannot check the appliances in the other....a highly dangerous situation. Do the other tenants have access to the emergency control valve at your meter, so that they can turn off the gas in the case of a leak etc. There are special regulations dealing with primary and secondary meters for blocks of flats.). In fairness to the supplier, they are probably unaware of the situation. Ring the suppliers customer care /complaints department and inform them of the situation.

Best of luck with dealing with the LL, much tact reqd to maintain good relations. Try to spin it that you are doing him a favour by sorting out this problem. PS have you got a gas safety certificate? Unless I am missing something, how did the corgi check all the appliances in the premises were working safely? pps you could always give corgi a ring on this point.

The gas supplier is obliged to provide a supply to your premises and not to anyone else's. (look at the gas regulations on the HMSO website if you are bored. each premise needs a separate supply as if you are servicing/repairing gas appliances on one premise, you cannot check the appliances in the other....a highly dangerous situation. Do the other tenants have access to the emergency control valve at your meter, so that they can turn off the gas in the case of a leak etc. There are special regulations dealing with primary and secondary meters for blocks of flats.). In fairness to the supplier, they are probably unaware of the situation. Ring the suppliers customer care /complaints department and inform them of the situation.

Best of luck with dealing with the LL, much tact reqd to maintain good relations. Try to spin it that you are doing him a favour by sorting out this problem. PS have you got a gas safety certificate? Unless I am missing something, how did the corgi check all the appliances in the premises were working safely? pps you could always give corgi a ring on this point.

Yes we were given a gas safety certificate. The gas meter is outside both properties so I guess they could just open it for the emergency control valve (didn't know there was such a thing). I did inform the gas supplier (who also supplies the electric) and they said to raise issue with LL as it was 'unfair'. I am really angry with the LL as I am convinced they were pulling a fast one thinking we would never find out..only last week they asked me was all ok with utilities being setup for us which I said it was no problem. There is no managing agent - agent only involved in setting up letting agreement and doing inventory check-in...so will have to deal with LL. Will wait until I know more info on our rights from CAB etc.

Thanks Ann Marie

given the advice,if the LL doesn't resolve the issue,then you may well be in a position to leave.

given the LL is not using a letting agent whats happened to your deposit

The deposit was lodged in the tenant protection scheme as I signed the paperwork with the letting agent and got a receipt and seperate confirmation. Not sure if this issue will be grounds to break tenancy agreement and it cost us in excess of £1000 for removals. Thinking it through best option I think is to put the utilities back in LL name and gave the issue back to them to resolve !

This isn't as uncommon as you all may think. You will find it happens alot when houses have been split into two flats.

Its not flats though..we are renting a 4 bed house and next door is a 2 bed house. If its not that uncommon how are shared utilities charged fairly to each tenant in general ?