House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leveller

Notice Of Intended Prosecution

I just got a 'Notice of intended prosecution' through the letter box from Bedfordshire police.

A fixed camera on the A5 Chalk Hill north towards Hockliffe has photographic evidence of me driving at 46mph in a 40mph zone.

As I have not been caught speeding in a long time (Once 10 years ago doing 30something in a 30) I googled for fines and points.

Looks like 3 points and a £60 fine for me.

After looking at the incomplete (the page starts half way through a sentence!) information Bedfordshire police sent me with the NOIP, they say they do not offer drivers the option of attending a speed awareness course as an alternative to points and a fine.

So I googled for speed awareness courses, and many counties DO offer this course as an alternative to points and a fine.

I live in Leicestershire, and if I was to have committed my 'crime' here, I may very well get the offer of the course.

So is there a lottery effect going on, FFS?

Have I any options to the points, or do I just take it on the chin?

I just got a 'Notice of intended prosecution' through the letter box from Bedfordshire police.

A fixed camera on the A5 Chalk Hill north towards Hockliffe has photographic evidence of me driving at 46mph in a 40mph zone.

As I have not been caught speeding in a long time (Once 10 years ago doing 30something in a 30) I googled for fines and points.

After looking at the incomplete (the page starts half way through a sentence!) information Bedfordshire police sent me with the NOIP, they say they do not offer drivers the option of attending a speed awareness course as an alternative to points and a fine.

So I googled for speed awareness courses, and many counties DO offer this course as an alternative to points and a fine.

I live in Leicestershire, and if I was to have committed my 'crime' here, I may very well get the offer of the course.

Like you said, all depends where you live. Same thing happened to me, option was £60 and 3 points OR "Speed Awareness Course" and £90 fine. I took the course option as I didn't want the points and wanted to go along and see this "course" which I expect will be like the ones in the US where they show you lots of gory pictures of dead bodies in car wrecks!

The fact you pay a £30 premium to avoid the points exposes the lie that this is all about safety - complete and utter ******!

Like you said, all depends where you live. Same thing happened to me, option was £60 and 3 points OR "Speed Awareness Course" and £90 fine. I took the course option as I didn't want the points and wanted to go along and see this "course" which I expect will be like the ones in the US where they show you lots of gory pictures of dead bodies in car wrecks!

The fact you pay a £30 premium to avoid the points exposes the lie that this is all about safety - complete and utter ******!

Speed scameras.

How is it fair that you get to choose how to get your wrist slapped, and I don't ?

Pity it wasnt a laser speed measuring device, I'm an expert witness for them (£1k per day in court + expenses) as I have the software the CPS tried in vain to prevent me from having and I can show the flaws in the software for these devices which are used by the police and camera vans.

As its a fixed camera, if its a gatso then ensure the white lines are spaced properly apart, some councils space the lines closer together to give the impression you are going faster than you really are.

www.pepipoo.com is a useful website, use their NIP wizard to ensure the procedures have been followed properly.

Incidentally if you had satnav on at the time depending on your satnav I may also be able to get evidence to show the real speed you were doing. The CPS wont argue with satnav becuase its what they plan to use next for speed detection so they cant have it creating an obstacle in law later on.

If you had your satnav on it might be worth you saying you are intending to contest it in court and will be using your GPS data as evidence. Its likely they will go through the court process and just drop the case on the day after the CPS move your trial to another court on the day without telling you like they did to me. Lost in the post is a common excuse of the CPS!

I dismissed Nick Freeman from my second case and won as a result of this.

Food for thought!

Interesting post. I've noted how much difference there is between my speedo readings and our satnav, on a motorway the difference is quite large.

What do you mean when you say 'depending on your satnav' is it a brand thing or functionality?

Ask Southpaw or Andy Foster at www.pepipoo.com.

They are good chaps and will give you good advice.

Pity it wasnt a laser speed measuring device, I'm an expert witness for them (£1k per day in court + expenses) as I have the software the CPS tried in vain to prevent me from having and I can show the flaws in the software for these devices which are used by the police and camera vans.

As its a fixed camera, if its a gatso then ensure the white lines are spaced properly apart, some councils space the lines closer together to give the impression you are going faster than you really are.

www.pepipoo.com is a useful website, use their NIP wizard to ensure the procedures have been followed properly.

Incidentally if you had satnav on at the time depending on your satnav I may also be able to get evidence to show the real speed you were doing. The CPS wont argue with satnav becuase its what they plan to use next for speed detection so they cant have it creating an obstacle in law later on.

If you had your satnav on it might be worth you saying you are intending to contest it in court and will be using your GPS data as evidence. Its likely they will go through the court process and just drop the case on the day after the CPS move your trial to another court on the day without telling you like they did to me. Lost in the post is a common excuse of the CPS!

I dismissed Nick Freeman from my second case and won as a result of this.

Food for thought!

Pepipoo does look good. As does your income !

I haven't got satnav, where's the fun with that?

I know very little about satnav, can it be used as a more accurate speedo than the cars actual speedo?

I'm going past the camera again in a few days, its on the A5 Chalk Hill north towards Hockliffe near Dunstable, I don't remember any white lines exactly, but are you suggesting that I could physically measure the distances between them?

And surely if the lines were found to be wrong, isn't the council the one causing an offence?

Tomtom for example stores your data and when you plug it into the TomTom home program, it then uploads the data to TomTom in the Netherlands who then use the data to give more accurate road speeds depending on the time of day. TomTom call it IQ Routes .

Other Satnav manufacturers do similar to make their products more accurate as well now.

Thanks for that.

We have a TomTom, and actively avoid sharing data with them. Funnily the reason was that OH didn't want to find that the data had been used to book him for speeding. Sounds like it is more likely to work in our favour!

And hate the system just a little bit more, as I believe I was doing no harm to anyone.

Speed kills - the faster you drive, the longer the stopping distance and the greater the impact if you fail to stop.

All the official research bears this out. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just repeating urban myths propagated by boy racers and libertarian petrolheads.

Get yourself a Jammer for any laser equipment, I bought a jammer around 5 years ago LE850 and its saved me around 10 times, paid for itself over and over.

If its a Gatso just go back that same evening and well I don't condone criminal activity but

And check out this video at 3.05 minutes

Guest UK Debt Slave

Guy at work got a fine through from the London congestion charge muppets

His car is a BMW but the vehicle in the photo is a minivan. The registration mumber isn't absolutely clear. Either one letter is slightly obscured by a reflection or it is a vehicle being driven with false plates, but it clearly isn't his car.

So he wrote to them explaining that it wasn't his car

And they wrote back to him telling him to pay up!!!!!

Kinell! The poor bloke was incandescent

Speed kills - the faster you drive, the longer the stopping distance and the greater the impact if you fail to stop.

All the official research bears this out. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just repeating urban myths propagated by boy racers and libertarian petrolheads.

100mph on an empty motorway, in good weather. Likely to kill is it?

Unfortunately, this sort of message does nothing to improve driving.

I stick to speed limits (or lower, depending on location, road condition, weather etc) up to 60 limits, then take a judgment on safety at 60+

To do anything else seems crazy IMHO.

Yes I've heard this argument.I have driven probably 2 million miles in 40 years,with just one accident.A head-on in a 40mph limit where a 17 year old failed to see me and pulled off a petrol station forecourt.In those years I have of course had several narrow escapes,the most notable when a police Granada complete with flashing lights lost it on a left hand bend and needed my half of the road ( I went agricultural along the grass verge for a bit)

I therefore find it quite annoying when people tell me I am a bad driver because I routinely break limits,albeit selectively depending on traffic conditions etc.

In Suffolk the Council has posted 30 limits on every country lane where there is a chimney pot within a half mile radius.When I incorporated a body repair business in my garage for a number of years we had a list of "usual suspects" who we could rely on for two or three decent accident repair jobs every year.I can tell you that none of them were fast drivers.

Another example of the police pushing stealth taxes on the people and not taking any notice of MP's bribes and exspences and if they keep this up the police will all be in for a bumper pay rise awared to them by MP's for looking the other way.

We realy can not continue like this and when the time is right lets ensure no policeman gets his golden plated pension as a kickback in old age.

The apple is rotten, rotten to the core.

i think if you try hard enough and put the effort in, you can ALWAYS get off of a speeding ticket...I've done it twice myself, and would be confident of getting off again. All the information is at Pepipoo. Lots of subtleties and loopholes in the system.

All the official research bears this out.

The 'official research' would, wouldn't it? How else would officials justify police-state measures against people who are behaving in a perfectly reasonable manner?

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just repeating urban myths propagated by boy racers and libertarian petrolheads.

Back in the real world, actual research conducted by people with no axe to grind has long demonstrated that the safest drivers are around the 85th percentile by speed, and the slowest are substantially more dangerous. Even the British government used to accept this until 10-15 years ago; you know, back when road deaths were declining every year and had been for decades. Then they realised how much cash they could rake in from cameras, and how well it would fit into their goal of forcing people out of cars into 'public transport' where their mates would make a ton of money and the people of Britain could be more easily controlled.

As for these courses, what I've read of them sounds like they're based on communist 'self-criticism' sessions where if you don't bow down to the mighty state you'll be taken out behind the chemical sheds and shot.

i think if you try hard enough and put the effort in, you can ALWAYS get off of a speeding ticket...I've done it twice myself, and would be confident of getting off again. All the information is at Pepipoo. Lots of subtleties and loopholes in the system.

Camera tickets are relatively easy if you have the bottle,I have got off two of those too.Getting stopped on the spot is trickier.I was pursued by an unmarked car driven by a DC I claimed I had a large amount of cash in the car and thought I was being targetted by a gyppo.He got chewed out by his Inspector who sent me a nice letter.Chased by a marked car and caught with a gun at the roadside..ran up the white flag. 3-2 to me so far.

Another example of the police pushing stealth taxes on the people and not taking any notice of MP's bribes and exspences and if they keep this up the police will all be in for a bumper pay rise awared to them by MP's for looking the other way.

We realy can not continue like this and when the time is right lets ensure no policeman gets his golden plated pension as a kickback in old age.

The apple is rotten, rotten to the core.

You are so right.

What is the solution ?

tr1ck5t3r - I'm very interested in your area of expertise and am likely to have some instructions/referrals for you in the near future. Would you kindly contact me through this site so I can obtain your contact details and CV? I have tried contacting you, but I'm a computerspas and haven't succeeded. Cheers

Just tried to send you my details but your profile account isnt accepting messages. PM me your email address and I'll email you from there.

I have tried but I'm "not allowed to use the message feature on this board". Not to worry, I'll remember your user name and take a risk and post contact details when I next need you. Thanks