House Price Crash Forum

Ornaments, Collectables Etc - Selling On Ebay?

loginandtonic

HOLA441
Not found sane delivery charges on there either.

Bought one through abebooks seller and when they said they had it in stock what they meant was they didn't and had no chance of getting it.

Jumble sales these days are cheapest.

:)

Do jumble sales still exist. I thought everyone had wised up? Haven't been to one of those in years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yep, jumble sales are still going - helped out yesterday with one at my son's Scout Group. Mostly rubbish but bought 3 brand-new looking Harry Potter books to replace the 3 well-read (falling apart!) ones he had for 25p each so he was very pleased. People still looking to knockdown prices on stuff that was only 20p!

HOLA443

Hi there, I went as a carbooter for my annual clearout last Sunday. I choose then because most people would have just been paid and it was good weather. Profits for the last few years have been 2007 - £82, 2008 - £60, £2009- £30 (entry is still £5 and I take my own drinks/food) using the same actual car boot and much the same kind of 'product'.

Frankly I understand the game is that everyone wants everything for £1, Beanos and Dandys were popular (2 for £1)as were kids roller skates and dolls. Stuff that did not sell included designer childrens clothes, picture frames, candle holders etc - we came back with half the car still full.Some things I gave away to a few children who just looked liked they needed something good to happen. Tough times indeed.

ps. I don't think it will be worth my while going in 2010.

Edited by calvinhobbes

HOLA444
Hi there, I went as a carbooter for my annual clearout last Sunday. I choose then because most people would have just been paid and it was good weather. Profits for the last few years have been 2007 - £82, 2008 - £60, £2009- £30 (entry is still £5 and I take my own drinks/food) using the same actual car boot and much the same kind of 'product'.

Frankly I understand the game is that everyone wants everything for £1, Beanos and Dandys were popular (2 for £1)as were kids roller skates and dolls. Stuff that did not sell included designer childrens clothes, picture frames, candle holders etc - we came back with half the car still full.Some things I gave away to a few children who just looked liked they needed something good to happen. Tough times indeed.

ps. I don't think it will be worth my while going in 2010.

Oh no, that's so frustrating coming home with a full car, especially when you have had to load it all up in the first place, get up at some unspeakable hour in the freezing cold and stand around for hours. There must be more to life!

HOLA445
Oh no, that's so frustrating coming home with a full car, especially when you have had to load it all up in the first place, get up at some unspeakable hour in the freezing cold and stand around for hours. There must be more to life!

Yes - it is called the charity shop! The above reports have confirmed my suspicions that boot fairs are going "bust" and we will abandon all hope of selling our good and tatty stuff and revert to giving it to the charity shops as we used to when earning big moula. Even though we could use the cash, there are many much worse off that us so we may as well enjoy the time and avoid the downside of boot fairs, now they no longer pay, prefectly summarised by your good self.

HOLA446
Yes - it is called the charity shop! The above reports have confirmed my suspicions that boot fairs are going "bust" and we will abandon all hope of selling our good and tatty stuff and revert to giving it to the charity shops as we used to when earning big moula. Even though we could use the cash, there are many much worse off that us so we may as well enjoy the time and avoid the downside of boot fairs, now they no longer pay, prefectly summarised by your good self.

It's a shame - Sunday mornings aren't the same anymore. I do buy from and give to charity shops and have found some good bargains

HOLA447
Even though we could use the cash, there are many much worse off that us so we may as well enjoy the time and avoid the downside of boot fairs, now they no longer pay, prefectly summarised by your good self.

Honest guv, we need the dosh....my husband is self employed and is owed over 3k , it's hit us badly. We have mounting debts and have never lived it up...not whinging, just explained why I dragged my sorry ass out to the boot sale in the first place.

Good lesson for our 6 year old daughter who was with me, even she thought much of the stuff "is crappie"lol, she had earned £2 and didn't spend it on other junk god bless her. TBF some things were good, I am just doing my best to get clear of debt and not spend on anything unless its for one of the hungry mouths in the house! We are currently living in a house that should have been demolished belonging to a family member, its rough but rent free so its helping...fed up being broke though. Our 8 year old car is running well thankfully.

I was thinking would those garage/street sales they do in Canada work better?anyone heard of it here?

ps. I go to the charity shop on a weekly basis to donate and buy some of the kids clothes there too (i don't get clothes - awhhhh!).

Edited by calvinhobbes

HOLA448
Honest guv, we need the dosh....my husband is self employed and is owed over 3k , it's hit us badly. We have mounting debts and have never lived it up...not whinging, just explained why I dragged my sorry ass out to the boot sale in the first place.

Good lesson for our 6 year old daughter who was with me, even she thought much of the stuff "is crappie"lol, she had earned £2 and didn't spend it on other junk god bless her. TBF some things were good, I am just doing my best to get clear of debt and not spend on anything unless its for one of the hungry mouths in the house! We are currently living in a house that should have been demolished belonging to a family member, its rough but rent free so its helping...fed up being broke though. Our 8 year old car is running well thankfully.

I was thinking would those garage/street sales they do in Canada work better?anyone heard of it here?

ps. I go to the charity shop on a weekly basis to donate and buy some of the kids clothes there too (i don't get clothes - awhhhh!).

I feel for you. I heard things were bad in Eire. If you were closer I would donate my unsold boot fair leftover tat for you to flog!

A mum from the kids' school did a garage sale a couple weeks back and they did really well. Made a couple hundred quid. They did it over a weekend and pre-advertised it with a sign in the front garden and the corner shop window. I think garage sales might be unpopular in the Uk due to the "keeping up appearances" "my home is my castle" stuffy thing, where folks don't want others to pry into their home life and to think they are struggling. Does not bother me though.

HOLA449

I don't see what's wrong with a garage sale, so long as it is just your garage and not in your house! You need to advertise it well in the local papers a week beforehand and put up some signs, which hopefully, your local council won't remove, like they would here in the UK as they consider it an 'elf & safety' thing.

HOLA4410

Garage sales work really well in Australia and NZ (I've lived in both). The local paper has a column each week and people advertise their addresses. They also put up signs around the neighbouring streets.

Some people take the list of addresses and drive around each garage sale every Saturday or Sunday morning. They still are very popular according to a friend who emigrated.

One of the potential problems would be overcrowding in the UK and problems with neighbours/parking. I know in NZ one set of neighbours complained to the equiv of the local council as they were being disrupted by garage sales in small developments of semi-detached bungalows as it means a lot of traffic / noise on the morning of the sale.

Edited by Flopsy

HOLA4411

How are people finding selling things on Gumtree? I've found it's very hit and miss - we sold an old cathode-ray tube TV for £50 within an hour (must have underpriced it...), but couldn't get any takers for a wireless router.

If you just want to get rid of the stuff, Freecycle is pretty good - and of course you often find things you want yourself.

HOLA4412

Yard/garage sales aren't popular here I suspect largely to do with the climate and the fact that we don't have those big open plan lawns that Americans have. It would be hard to have a yard sale in a 2 up 2 down no-garden terrace on a narrow street, plus in many places you'd get the inevitable chav infestation.

I think the problems with boot sales are as follows:

1. Online selling means most stuff with a value can be sold/bought from the comfort of your own home, not behind a trestle table in the freezing cold at 7am in a field in Lincolnshire.

2. Ultra cheap Chinese imports mean we still have a throwaway culture where new prices are so low it's not worth buying used. Add to that the 'MEW/Bling/I'll starve mesen afore me kiddehs as to wear second hand' British snobbery over buying used.

3. Said online selling has made second hand good prices plummet, because the market is a level playing field. Ebay/Amazon etc was a bit of a pyramid scheme in a way because the early vendors could make a killing eg by buying books for 5p from jumble sales and selling them for £3. But once everyone started doing this, the ponzi collapsed. That's why you had that Amazon warehouse in Bristol giving second hand paperbacks away free - most have no value.

HOLA4413
I feel for you. I heard things were bad in Eire. If you were closer I would donate my unsold boot fair leftover tat for you to flog!

A mum from the kids' school did a garage sale a couple weeks back and they did really well. Made a couple hundred quid. They did it over a weekend and pre-advertised it with a sign in the front garden and the corner shop window. I think garage sales might be unpopular in the Uk due to the "keeping up appearances" "my home is my castle" stuffy thing, where folks don't want others to pry into their home life and to think they are struggling. Does not bother me though.

Thats really good of you!!! :D Ah we will get there and there are plenty worse off.Thank goodness we don't have negative equity for example.

Thinking about it neighbours would complain, I don't give a darn if we use pre-loved clothes, thankfully I have a great sister in law whose kids are slightly older and gives us bags of clothes. Only thing is ours are getting too tall too fast. Our little girl won a draw last week for a voucher at a local kids dance shop and today she went in and picked an outfit. She was so delighted tonight, it made my week!(first thing we ever won - yay :D )

HOLA4414
If you just want to get rid of the stuff, Freecycle is pretty good - and of course you often find things you want yourself.

Hello, I helped start our local freecycle but won't take stuff myself in case anyone accuses me of dodgy dealings. Recently new volunteers are helping run it so I am thinking of resigning so we can actually receive something. I do give things in it though, I love people who really appreciate things.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I freecycled all the household furniture left over from moving house. People will drive miles to get something for free, when they could have it delivered if they bought it for 99p on eBay.

Plonk something outside your house with a sign saying 'free' you are guaranteed to get rid of it.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Plonk something outside your house with a sign saying 'free' you are guaranteed to get rid of it.

A neighbouring town recently held a "Re - Use Day", where everyone was invited to put their unwanted items out in their gateway with a "help yourself" label on it. Unfortunately I could'nt go because they picked a Monday. I've long thought that we need something like this, on a regular basis, perhaps divide a town up into districts and give them a designated re - use day that comes around every 6 - 8 weeks or so, so that it just becomes established that "thats what you do with things you've finished with", rather like saving things for Jumble Sales or the Rag and Bone Man used to be. Freecycle is great when it works as it should, but it is let down by people who don't bother to turn up for things as agreed. :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOLA4419
A neighbouring town recently held a "Re - Use Day", where everyone was invited to put their unwanted items out in their gateway with a "help yourself" label on it. Unfortunately I could'nt go because they picked a Monday. I've long thought that we need something like this, on a regular basis, perhaps divide a town up into districts and give them a designated re - use day that comes around every 6 - 8 weeks or so, so that it just becomes established that "thats what you do with things you've finished with", rather like saving things for Jumble Sales or the Rag and Bone Man used to be. Freecycle is great when it works as it should, but it is let down by people who don't bother to turn up for things as agreed. :angry: :angry: :angry:

A good idea but I can see some problems with it. Everybody puts out the stuff they don't want. Then it rains, and a lot of the stuff gets ruined. Nobody will take it and the owners won't want it back in the house. So it gets left on the pavement or the local dump gets deluged.

I would imagine the health 'n' safety brigade would be on it fairly fast too, in case a wardrobe fell on a kiddie or something.

In my borough we had a 'large item free collection' day organised by the council which turned into an unofficial help yourself day, with some people even putting up signs to that effect in their gardens. This meant that if anything got left in the road it didn't matter as the council had made provision to collect things.

HOLA4420

I put a wobbly old ironing board outside. It was virtually falling apart and just about usuable. It got snapped up! Amazing.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Always jumbles on. Look in the local paper, supermarket notice board and ask the nosey old dears on your street!

Why are there always teapots with no lids at jumble sales?

HOLA4425

Garage sales - well, front garden sale near me 2 wks ago, mostly toys. Passing Herts, saw garage sale quite reg at same house.

charity shops here, footfall but marked down prices on most lines.

my own collectables stuff not really selling on ebay to UK buyers, occasional bit is going very cheap to Americans.

in my opinion the green shoots are weeds so far, most of my items go to a variety of charity shops, mostly ones where I myself picked up a bargain in recent weeks or months for my own use