House Price Crash Forum
loginandtonic

Ornaments, Collectables Etc - Selling On Ebay?

Nuffin sellin guvnor, items that would sell for a fiver or tenner a year or 2 ago - nothin doin

LPs that have a £6 value usually, no bids even at 99p

green shoots my arze

I wonder if it's fewer people buying or more people selling. Or both. Or you've satrurated the Lionel Ritchie album market.

Lionel Ritchie :lol:

anyway, it's dismal for my clear out, not a penny so far, not a penny. my print outs from Feb last year show the same things were selling for fivers and tenners, now not even 99p :unsure:

electronic gadgets probably doing ok tho

Yes, things are so bad I hear the BBC is renaming the show "Cash in the attic" to be "crap in the attic".

Seriously, on sunday I am booked to do my first Boot Fair in 7 years - how are boot fairs doing? I always thought that second hand stuff went really well in recessions

Yes, things are so bad I hear the BBC is renaming the show "Cash in the attic" to be "crap in the attic".

Seriously, on sunday I am booked to do my first Boot Fair in 7 years - how are boot fairs doing? I always thought that second hand stuff went really well in recessions

Howdydoode CB,

I wonder if the opposite might possibly be true...in a recession people may be more inclined to hang on to anything serviceable..

Howdydoode CB,

I wonder if the opposite might possibly be true...in a recession people may be more inclined to hang on to anything serviceable..

Hi GS

I get it - make do and mend. But with luck I will shift a load of old toys and bits and bobs for a few quid to folks who need them but cannot afford new. Until recently it all went to charity shops, but now charity begins at home! I'm almost as poor as an MP.

How's life your end?

Kids stuff is selling extremely well CB.

I've been involved with the NCT for several years The local Nearly New Sale takings have been increasing year-on-year during the time I've been involved, but in the last 18 months the growth in takings has been huge. The last sale saw a 25% increase in sales, on a figure which a year earlier had been 33% higher than previous. The average spend hasn't changed much, but more people are swallowing their pride and hunting for a second hand bargain.

Hi GS

I get it - make do and mend. But with luck I will shift a load of old toys and bits and bobs for a few quid to folks who need them but cannot afford new. Until recently it all went to charity shops, but now charity begins at home! I'm almost as poor as an MP.

How's life your end?

Well, if you enjoy an entertaining read 'The Giles Wareing Haters' Club by Tim Dowling paints a pretty accurate picture of current circumstance... :lol:

last boot i was at stallholder (a pro) said to another browser 'not many sellers, no, very good news for us' - and there were about a third or half less stalls than usual but also not that many buyers

Ebay is less and less a place for small sellers to be honest - much more oriented toward online 'shops' and big sellers now .

I used to dabble and do one or two sales / purchases a week , but now one look at the inflated selling peices and I'm away.

On CB's point - car boots and the 'nearly new' market is really picking up in this area (Cornwall) - its a nice little income boost once a month or so ;)

'edited to remove proof of my muppetry'

Edited by Toptaffybachboyobutty

Yes, you don't hear many stories these days of people who have packed in their jobs to become e-bay traders full time.

Another pretend job bites the dust.

CAR BOOT REPORT:

Background: prosperous/tourist/second home area, boot fair part of a country fair so possibly not as accurate an anecdotal as doing one in a gritty "hard-up" area

Results:

Income from sales: 21 pounds

Expenditure through entry fee, food, drinks and rides for wife and kids: 24 pounds

So this is the first time I ever made a loss from doing a boot fair, and ended up with loads of good stuff. Kids stuff hardly sold, clothing was a waste of time (seems from chatting to other booters that now everything is so cheap at Primark etc, second hand clothes don't sell).

So if anyone wants a pick up truck full of good useable boot stuff for a tenner and can collect from N Norfolk, PM me because I ain't wasting my time again! There wasn't even much totty about to ogle. But, the saving grace was the sunny day and the family had subsidized fun.

My impression is that the vinyl market has a sharp divide around the £10 mark - anything cheaper than that is presumed to be scratched junk

The valuable stuff tends to start at about £15 and still goes up to silly prices

Ebays insistence on ever cheaper packaging probably hasnt helped things

CAR BOOT REPORT:

Background: prosperous/tourist/second home area, boot fair part of a country fair so possibly not as accurate an anecdotal as doing one in a gritty "hard-up" area

Results:

Income from sales: 21 pounds

Expenditure through entry fee, food, drinks and rides for wife and kids: 24 pounds

So this is the first time I ever made a loss from doing a boot fair, and ended up with loads of good stuff. Kids stuff hardly sold, clothing was a waste of time (seems from chatting to other booters that now everything is so cheap at Primark etc, second hand clothes don't sell).

So if anyone wants a pick up truck full of good useable boot stuff for a tenner and can collect from N Norfolk, PM me because I ain't wasting my time again! There wasn't even much totty about to ogle. But, the saving grace was the sunny day and the family had subsidized fun.

Yep, a day out for 3 quid. You dun well.

Yes, you don't hear many stories these days of people who have packed in their jobs to become e-bay traders full time.

Another pretend job bites the dust.

I've been experimenting with ebay as another selling channel recently and started a thread on it that I meant to report back results on. I've been very pleased with the results, far higher prices than bricks and mortar achieved, and have been making enough to provide a decent income if it was the only business. By what people are saying I'm beginning to worry that I missed out on the glory years of ebay.

However, I would qualify this by saying that the prices I can sell on ebay at are contingent on having the buying power and logistics of a retail chain in place. If I was just going to a UK supplier for £500 carriage paid orders my sell outs would be not very competitive and I'd disappear under a sea of busy fools on there.

Some of the prices on there I can't compete with as they are certainly below cost. I assume these sellers either buy bankrupt stock from auctions or are shoplifters.

Ebay is less and less a place for small sellers to be honest - much more oriented toward online 'shops' and big sellers now .

I used to dabble and do one or two sales / purchases a week , but now one look at the inflated selling peices and I'm away.

On CB's point - car boots and the 'nearly new' market is really picking up in this area (Cornwall) - its a nice little income boost once a month or so ;)

I have a very mixed report of selling either on eBay or car booting. A few years ago, I made a mint selling bits and pieces at car boot sales (Cornwall). The last car boot I had (about a year ago) (Cornwall) was terrible. I had really good quality stuff (silk lamp shades, standard lamps, tables, pictures, etc, all going for 50p or less. In the end I couldn't give it away and I ended up taking it to the charity shop. You would be amazed at how many people have only 2p in their pocket! I find now that car boots (Cornwall) are just rubbish. Haven't bought anything in ages. In fact, I don't even bother getting out of bed on a Sunday morning.

My hub sells top end British coins on eBay and he is absolutely flying. Making a mint. As one cannot save at the moment, coins are a very safe bet to invest in (apart from gold). The buyers at the moment appear to be Australian, South African or Italian.

I sold off all my vinyl and CDs last year and they flew out the door. Not to British buyers, but to Japanese, Greeks and Russians.

Some things though are very different. Start it at 99p and it will sell for 99p. Best do a Buy It Now option.

Thank the lord for the internet. If it wasn't for that we would be digging trenches in the Sahara.

update

I had about 15 LPs listed - none sold (all were semi-rare) - competitors lots not sold either

About 10 collectables lots, usually people would speculate and pay a few quid to a tenner for these in early 08 when i did research - no buys except 1 american who backed out when he realised the postage shown was uk only and not usa (doh)

All I sold was 1 nearly new leather jacket for a fiver, and he's still not paid yet...

Green shoots anyone.

? !

Edited by loginandtonic

The last lot of stuff that I didnt sell is now not selling at a variety of local charity shops ! 24 of 25 items failed to sell even for 99p.

My next lot of items - 0 watchers, 0 bids, 9 are 99p, one is under a fiver (usual price for that £12)

However, furniture that i'm after, eg armachairs sofas etc - they're going if sub 50 quid + fair quality in most cases im watching

Edited by loginandtonic

I have found car boots/antiques/secondhand markets in Cornwall are sad for both buyer and seller. The last car boot I did as a seller was a complete disaster. I had really good quality stuff - silk lampshades, antiques, pictures, etc. and I couldn't give it away. In the end, I took it all down to the charity shop. Never again! As a buyer, there is nothing but rubbish.

I have also found that there are more dealers than buyers in Cornwall.

Edited by tplatt

All the books I want are buy it now for silly prices.

Always check prices on Amazon. You will probably find prices are cheaper than eBay.

Car boot report:

South Coast, Poole. Today. PTA organised on school playing field, 70 plus cars. Reasonably well-off area, and only a few local firms have had redundancies. 90% private sellers, not dealers. Very little cash changing hands. Spyers not buyers. Saw a few kids carrying toys, and one bloke bought a small chainsaw. Plenty of bedroom tvs; vhs, dvd - won't sell at a fiver.

I bought a wellfilled hanging basket in near bloom for 6 quid (about half garden centre price), and a hand axe/chopper (near new; ash handle, German steel blade) at a bargain £1.50.

I got the feeling I may have been one of the 'high rollers'.

The ice cream van did a steady trade.

Same fair, a fortnight ago. Same impression. People being very reluctant to spend - even at cheap prices.

Always check prices on Amazon. You will probably find prices are cheaper than eBay.

Not found sane delivery charges on there either.

Bought one through abebooks seller and when they said they had it in stock what they meant was they didn't and had no chance of getting it.

Jumble sales these days are cheapest.

:)