House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kara gee

Building In A National Park

For anyone interested in self-build

I've commented on here a few times about wanting to self-build, so spend a lot of time researching and talking to local planning departments about sites etc.

Yesterday I spoke to a nice chap in the Peak District planning office regarding this plot:

http://details.vebra.com/property/641/17493564

It has PP for a mammoth OTT country house. So I wanted to know if they would consider looking at new plans for 3 smaller off-grid eco homes within the foot-print of the proposed single house.

Simple answer - NO!

National parks follow the rule which is you can replace a house for a house, (there was originally a house there) but can not build more than one dwelling in its place. even if it's within the same foot print.

So anyone can build a home in a national park, but you need to knock one down first.

However if you have worked in a national park for a number of years, but can't afford to buy your own home the local council can be pressurised to build affordable housing.

The chap I spoke to basically said (in the nicest possible way) you will never get PP in any national park unless it's to replace an existing house.

I don't think it's my god-given right to build a home in the peaks or anything. Just interesting to know where we average beings stand.

For anyone interested in self-build

I've commented on here a few times about wanting to self-build, so spend a lot of time researching and talking to local planning departments about sites etc.

Yesterday I spoke to a nice chap in the Peak District planning office regarding this plot:

http://details.vebra.com/property/641/17493564

It has PP for a mammoth OTT country house. So I wanted to know if they would consider looking at new plans for 3 smaller off-grid eco homes within the foot-print of the proposed single house.

Simple answer - NO!

National parks follow the rule which is you can replace a house for a house, (there was originally a house there) but can not build more than one dwelling in its place. even if it's within the same foot print.

So anyone can build a home in a national park, but you need to knock one down first.

However if you have worked in a national park for a number of years, but can't afford to buy your own home the local council can be pressurised to build affordable housing.

The chap I spoke to basically said (in the nicest possible way) you will never get PP in any national park unless it's to replace an existing house.

I don't think it's my god-given right to build a home in the peaks or anything. Just interesting to know where we average beings stand.

What's the situation on subdividing a big house into self-contained flats? If there was an old manor house that was converted into 3 flats 50 years ago, would you be allowed to demolish it and build 3 eco-homes?

What's the situation on subdividing a big house into self-contained flats? If there was an old manor house that was converted into 3 flats 50 years ago, would you be allowed to demolish it and build 3 eco-homes?

I believe you can convert a big old house into flats, just had a quick look on rightmove and there seems to be plenty of this type.

I'm no expert, but I doubt they'd let you pull down an old manor house in order to build new. Say if it was destroyed by fire though, you might have a chance of changing the design of the building to incorporate 3 homes into one building.