House Price Crash Forum

Car Production Down 55% In April

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8063055.stm

UK car production fell 55.3% in April, according to the latest figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

A total of 68,258 cars were made in April, with the total for the year to date about 251,268 cars.

In April, 56,267 cars were exported, a drop of 53.4%.

Overall vehicle production - including commercial vehicles - fell 56.5% to 75, 913 in April. Carmakers are cutting production as the recession takes hold.

Commercial vehicle production fell by 65.2% to 7,655 in April, with the year-to-date production down 63.6% at 29,950 vehicles.

The car sector has been one of the hardest hit by the global slowdown, as consumers cut back on big-ticket purchases, forcing global car companies to cut production and staffing levels.

Under a new government scheme, cars that are more than 10 years old can be scrapped in return for a £2,000 discount on a new model.

"With the scrappage incentive scheme fully operational, industry is optimistic about the positive impact this will have on the market and on UK production facilities," said Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive.

While scrappage schemes in the UK and Europe may help, the SMMT warned that "recovery may be protracted".

"Despite the current difficulties, the UK must prepare for the return of global growth and government support for the industry is an essential part of the process."

More green shoots of economic recovery.

And here we all are contemplating economic collapse....

HOLA442
More green shoots of economic recovery.

And here we all are contemplating economic collapse....

:lol: oh yes, how silly of us.

And don't forget we now have that new wonderful £2k car scheme that the government has introduced, so all will end up good on the car front, won't it? ;)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

And surely the ones they have built are rusting in the fields of unsold cars?

My software business sales are down 60% on last month - I want to know when will *my* customers get a scrap software allowance handout paid for with *my* tax income :o ?

HOLA446
:lol: oh yes, how silly of us.

And don't forget we now have that new wonderful £2k car scheme that the government has introduced, so all will end up good on the car front, won't it? ;)

The only thing I've read so far is that people seem to be buying cars such as the Kia Picanto, Hyundai i20, Renault clio using the scrappage scheme. I guess most of the UK produced cars are a bit too expensive.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

"With the scrappage incentive scheme fully operational, industry is optimistic about the positive impact this will have on the market and on UK production facilities," said Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive.

For gritting his teeth and identifying these "Brown shoots", Paul Everitt gets my Balls of Steel award for this week

HOLA4413