House Price Crash Forum

My Contract Has Just Been Outsourced...

HOLA441
You dont say if its IT or not. But i guess it probably is. UK IT is definitely in decline, especially contracting.

If not the number of jobs then definitely the pay rates. Pay rates in IT contracting have been flat over last 10 years, while inflation is up atleast 33% over that time, if not more. Might still be tolerable if the work was fun. But in general its a crap lifestlye to be stuck in meetings or stuck in front of a screen all day.

Still if IT is new to you (less than 10 years) its still relatively well paid and probably still has some novelty value.

IT contract rates have been flat or in decline for a lot longer than 10 years, in 1990 I was getting £700 per day (database design) on long term contracts (did 4 years in that post), today the same skill set is available at £500 per day. If only I realisedthis was the most I was ever going to earn I would have saved a bit more of it.

Similar with application developers 1990 about £400 day today around £300. I can only see this trend continuing as, improved comms networks etc make where you are irrelevant to many IT jobs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest absolutezero
IT contract rates have been flat or in decline for a lot longer than 10 years, in 1990 I was getting £700 per day (database design) on long term contracts (did 4 years in that post), today the same skill set is available at £500 per day. If only I realisedthis was the most I was ever going to earn I would have saved a bit more of it.

Similar with application developers 1990 about £400 day today around £300. I can only see this trend continuing as, improved comms networks etc make where you are irrelevant to many IT jobs.

£500 a day and you're complaining?

Get a grip.

HOLA443
Guest vicmac64

perhaps you could make an entry on my post ref Globalism being high treason.

Make no mistake about it - this is the nature of the Globalisation that our carbunkle of a PM holds so close to his heart.

... :o

But you've got to laugh, apparently.

HOLA444

Nice to see this website disintegrate into BNP territory.

It was only a matter of time before the blame game began.

This place used to consist of intelligent economic argument but idiots like you show that this particular website has reached the end of it's useful lifecycle.

HOLA445
Guest absolutezero
That's possibly racist.

Although i do think IT workers should fight back against the indian problem. Every time the rupee gains on the pound i cheer.

Possibly?! No question about it.

HOLA446
Guest absolutezero
It's ok as long as they've had a bath that week.

Are you trying to be an objectionable ba5tard or does it come naturally to you?

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest absolutezero
It comes naturally to me.

I've never been scared to say what members of the BNP and other racist bigots are thinking :(

Fixed that for you.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
£500 a day and you're complaining?

Get a grip.

Not complaining and not getting it. I went permanent over 10 years ago, now earn much less money but less stress and pretty secure.

Currently I manage a mixed team of permanent and contract staff - in the last 6 months we have reduced the rate for very good .Net developers from around 380 to 320 per day, but no outsourcing to India yet.

HOLA4412
I feel sorry for your family. The ones you live with paticularly.

You come across as a bit of a tw@.

Well, I guess you've had one hell of a day then? Been outsourced by any chance?

Was enjoying this thread, till you called him a tw@t.

HOLA4413

I'm a female software engineer. I understand that some of you might like to dress as wizards and some of you spend too much time playing online games. But on the whole when I stand in front of the coffee machine waiting for my cup of brown filth to be dispensed I don't usually dry-heave because one of you has recently vacated the very same position and the stench is stripping the lining from my nasal cavities.

I understand that maybe there are water shortages in Bangalore, but my company is saving money buy paying for your 2000 euros a month :blink: rental apartment with... hot running water!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Please cease racist remarks on this thread.

Forum rules

No derogatory comments against others, including slurs based on race,

Thank you

doccyboy

I couldn't agree more. The ignorance and racism being expressed shames this forum.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I'm a female software engineer. I understand that some of you might like to dress as wizards and some of you spend too much time playing online games. But on the whole when I stand in front of the coffee machine waiting for my cup of brown filth to be dispensed I don't usually dry-heave because one of you has recently vacated the very same position and the stench is stripping the lining from my nasal cavities.

I understand that maybe there are water shortages in Bangalore, but my company is saving money buy paying for your 2000 euros a month :blink: rental apartment with... hot running water!

I'm a male software engineer (well I was until very recently).

I got your first sentence there PIOO, but then the rest kind of well, started rambling. You're saying we don't smell that much (thank you - although I do after the gym I can assure) ... and your company is trading ... hot water for someone's ... rent?

Anyway. I find anti-Indian racist comments offensive too. Its not their fault, and if we were in their shoes we'd do the same - get out the "Programming in 24 Hours" textbooks the night before and then get down the recruiting office in the morning.

No, the real culprits of the rape of the UK's IT industry are much more likely to be middle aged, white and male. When I worked in tech consulting I never saw any females - seriously.

I don't think I did anyway :huh: .

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I'm a male software engineer (well I was until very recently).

I got your first sentence there PIOO, but then the rest kind of well, started rambling. You're saying we don't smell that much (thank you - although I do after the gym I can assure) ... and your company is trading ... hot water for someone's ... rent?

Anyway. I find anti-Indian racist comments offensive too. Its not their fault, and if we were in their shoes we'd do the same - get out the "Programming in 24 Hours" textbooks the night before and then get down the recruiting office in the morning.

No, the real culprits of the rape of the UK's IT industry are much more likely to be middle aged, white and male. When I worked in tech consulting I never saw any females - seriously.

I don't think I did anyway :huh: .

I think some of this thread has been censored since I last saw it, but I find some of the anti-white comments on this thread equally objectionable.

Blagging your way through might be the method you and the Indian IT workers use, but its the mark of a cowboy and not something which I've seen done on a systematic basis in my 25 years in IT except by Indians. Personally I've been working with Indians for 4+ years now since my job was outsourced, and I'm disgusted with the lack of technical skill, or ethics, of Indian IT workers. Some are good, but the vast majority are useless freeloading passengers, with a disgusting sense of entitelment to be taught on the plate how to do others jobs.

As an aside if you really want to see why there are so many millions of poor in India, look to the so-called upper caste Indians themselves and how they discriminate against the poor of India

http://escapefromindia.wordpress.com

For a US perspective see also http://www.itgrunt.com

HOLA4420
Seriously, the worse thing about outsourcing is when they ask you to "help with the transition" in handing over your job to those wonderful cheap workers of the Indian human battery farms.. I now know what it must be like to be asked to dig your own grave before being shot...the bastards :angry:

Best thing to do is to teach them wrong. It will cost the company (and maybe insurers) far more in the long run. And it would be quite a laugh, ..... and give you some satisfaction! :rolleyes:

HOLA4421

Sorry, forgot to add :-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/22/h...a_n_190064.html

"Hitler's Mein Kampf Seen As Self-Help Guide For India's Business Students"

"Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf has become a popular book among students in India looking for tips on management tactics, reports the Daily Telegraph. Students striving to become successful businessmen and women are using the Nazi leader's infamous autobiography as a self-help book.

Sales of the book over the last six months topped 10,000 in New Delhi alone, according to leading stores, who said it appeared to be becoming more popular with every year. "

Did someone mention racism ?

HOLA4422
Good luck.

(And if Particleman is reading - "protectionism, then war.")

They are waging an 'economic' World War on us right now - don't you realise?

Their strategy is to ruin the Middle classes - go back to uber rich masters and feudal slave workers.

Which is why people are being shunted into one loss making boom/Tulip fund after another

> Shares > IT Boom/Bust > Massive Pension fund losses > Houses/BTL > now Zero interest on all savings (under disguise of helping house owners) whilst massive Inflation in basics such as food/Utility prices goes on.

Get the Jist?

The World has been divided into 3 economic groups which will be interdepedent.

They are killing all the livestock in Australia and not replacing - Australia is the new Canada Wheat/ Bread Basket for Asia Region.

The 3 'Occult' NEW WORLD ORDER Economic regions can be confirmed by your Blu-Ray disks - split into only 3 World Regions!

Things to look out for are major announcements of a new World Religion (from Jerusalem) - Blair?

The Bible prophecies come glaringly true and the Satanic-man is in Town!

HOLA4423
If this ever happened to me I'd just refuse to do it...what is the worst they can do? Discipline you? Sack you?

In my case, what they did was basically threaten to reduce your redundancy money to a legal minimum, versus the option of taking a generous redundancy and having a bonus on top. It's the old carrot and stick, and with mouths to feed they've only need to get a couple of people on board in a de-unionised office to get things moving. You don't need a whole department to do the knowledge transfer, just a few "willing" souls (scab labour) to move things forward.

HOLA4424
Nice to see this website disintegrate into BNP territory.

It was only a matter of time before the blame game began.

This place used to consist of intelligent economic argument but idiots like you show that this particular website has reached the end of it's useful lifecycle.

Why did you have to associate his post with the BNP twice? He is not associated with them in anyway, nor did he mention them on this thread? You show a complete lack of respect to normal people who are BNP voters by doing this. Are you working for the Daily Mirror?

FWIW you can be against outsourcing to India and not hate Indians. If you look on the BNP website they actually also blame globalization and not the workers themselves.

HOLA4425
Personally I've been working with Indians for 4+ years now since my job was outsourced, and I'm disgusted with the lack of technical skill, or ethics, of Indian IT workers. Some are good, but the vast majority are useless freeloading passengers, with a disgusting sense of entitelment to be taught on the plate how to do others jobs.

As an aside if you really want to see why there are so many millions of poor in India, look to the so-called upper caste Indians themselves and how they discriminate against the poor of India

http://escapefromindia.wordpress.com

For a US perspective see also http://www.itgrunt.com

Sounds like the average up his own **** IT contractor of the past 15 years in the UK. I have met IT Directors in charge of 50 people who don't read newspapers/books/who don't know who is running the country. IT management at many levels who think career training in things such as planning and appraisals is beneath them. Contractors and internal staff who ares so rude to their users it takes my breath away.

Many, many with the social skills and personality of a fruit bat.

I am surprised the "I can read the manual" jockeys on six figures thought it could last forever, I ask you six figures for being an electronic plumber - Helloooo!

There are careers and businesses in IT to be forged in the UK as never before if you grasp the opportunity. But if you think being Xenophobic, militant and blinkered is going to get them better get back to reading up on Server 2010 so you can be icily aloof when your FD asks you a polite question.

The contracting/high pay for IT support staff was a bubble - it's over and don't blame anyone else look in the mirror.

Archived