• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

If it's any consolation, you haven't been made redundant. Your position has been.

But I'm not all semantics so fingers crossed you get something soon. Like many on here, I too wait for the axe to fall on a daily basis.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I think the outsourcing of UK jobs to India, and elsewhere, is the political scandal yet to come to light.

If MPs have been, in their words, bending the rules on their expenses you have to wonder what has been going on when they have been involved in multi-million pounds public sector contract negotiations.

Of course, I am not saying they have done anything wrong but it is only Human to think about such things.

HOLA449
I think the outsourcing of UK jobs to India, and elsewhere, is the political scandal yet to come to light.

If MPs have been, in their words, bending the rules on their expenses you have to wonder what has been going on when they have been involved in multi-million pounds public sector contract negotiations.

Of course, I am not saying they have done anything wrong but it is only Human to think about such things.

Can we outsource MPs?

VMR.

HOLA4410

Seriously, the worse thing about outsourcing is when they ask you to "help with the transition" in handing over your job to those wonderful cheap workers of the Indian human battery farms.. I now know what it must be like to be asked to dig your own grave before being shot...the bastards :angry:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK

Sorry to hear your bad news.

Of course, all the successful business owners will be on shortly telling you to reskill and get another job, get on your bike...blah...blah...blah.

HOLA4415
Seriously, the worse thing about outsourcing is when they ask you to "help with the transition" in handing over your job to those wonderful cheap workers of the Indian human battery farms.. I now know what it must be like to be asked to dig your own grave before being shot...the bastards :angry:

Yep. I did that in 2003 before being kicked from a US company I'd worked for for 11 years.

Best laugh I had in the whole sorry event was when I was at US HQ for 2 weeks to "transition" the work to the Bangalore boys. Their commercial account manager was trying to suck up to me and a few others soon to be replaced who were from the EU. Tried to come across all flash and westernised and was telling me that his earnings were good. So good, in fact , that he'd bought a new suit from a local store at the local US mall. Great quality, he said. And cost him the big sum of $75. I opened the lapel of my suit and said "St. Laurent. Paris. About $600 of your US dollars. Got it in a sale" :)

He laughed as well and said he'd buy me lunch, but hoped my taste in food wasn't like my taste in suits or else he'd be bankrupt :D:D

HOLA4416

If this ever happened to me I'd just refuse to do it...what is the worst they can do? Discipline you? Sack you?

HOLA4417

I can tell you first hand that money gets passed around on the backend for government contracts being outsourced. I saw it on a deal where the contract was mandated to include 300 call center jobs "within the British Isles" when funding was agreed but after some "political" negotiations" ended up in Bangalore. The company invloved was Capita...............

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

They asked me to do that. I told them to fccuuk off. I'd rather walk now.

HOLA4422

You dont say if its IT or not. But i guess it probably is. UK IT is definitely in decline, especially contracting.

If not the number of jobs then definitely the pay rates. Pay rates in IT contracting have been flat over last 10 years, while inflation is up atleast 33% over that time, if not more. Might still be tolerable if the work was fun. But in general its a crap lifestlye to be stuck in meetings or stuck in front of a screen all day.

Still if IT is new to you (less than 10 years) its still relatively well paid and probably still has some novelty value.

HOLA4423
You dont say if its IT or not. But i guess it probably is. UK IT is definitely in decline, especially contracting.

If not the number of jobs then definitely the pay rates. Pay rates in IT contracting have been flat over last 10 years, while inflation is up atleast 33% over that time, if not more. Might still be tolerable if the work was fun. But in general its a crap lifestlye to be stuck in meetings or stuck in front of a screen all day.

Still if IT is new to you (less than 10 years) its still relatively well paid and probably still has some novelty value.

Keeps me in shoes and sandwiches.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
It was getting paid a hundred grand for a job you enjoy, wasn't it? I imagine the Indians are doing it for somewhat less.

Sorry to hear this.

Re: It was getting paid a hundred grand for a job you enjoy, wasn't it?

:D Pride cometh before a fall and all that.

But...

They're costing £220 a day each to the project. (I assume they're not getting that much).

There are 3 of them.

I make that £150,000 a year unless I'm very much mistaken.

AND...

The loss to the UK is 100%.

I was caught by IR35 and taxed at almost 50%.

So for every £1 the government gave to the university, who paid for me, 50p went straight back in taxes.

The rest was either spent or saved in the UK - I don't even holiday abroad.

Now £600 a day will go straight to India and never be seen again.

Multiply this by a load of people and you have the tax black hole we see now.

Archived