House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flatnose

Mp's Expense Poll

“Nicht nur im eigenen Land sind Brown und seine Regierung unpopulär. International ist der Ruf Großbritanniens als Musterland der freien Marktwirtschaft in der globalen Finanzkrise völlig verloren gegangen. Genau 30 Jahre, nachdem Browns Vor-Vor-Vorgängerin Margaret Thatcher begann, mit kompromissloser Privatisierung und Liberalisierung das Land zu entkrusten, ist Großbritannien kein Vorbild für marktwirtschaftliche Reformen mehr – ganz im Gegenteil.”

http://www.wiwo.de/politik/das-britische-m...gedient-397253/

This is a scandal. But it pales into insignificance to other things that have happened.

The re-introduction of the 10p tax band. It was done for no other reason than to buy votes in the Crewe & Nantwich by-election.

The compete destruction of our nations finances - I dont yet have children, but Gordon has increased the tax burden on my Grandchildren

The complete stonewalling of anyone willing to offer Gordon any advice or criticism. Not only does he know better, he doesnt need to listen to you to know that he knows better than you. Fvck me he saved the world!!

The feckless and risk takers bailed out whilst the prudent are punished.

All of these annoy me more than the expenses scandal. Yet Mrs D has told me to stop swearing at the telly when the news reports on the latest grabbers.

Have we decided yet who is the piggiest trough-snorter? Might be interesting to see who people think is the biggest and most blatent abuser. I humbly nominate Kitty Ussher. When i read her note I was driven me to scream out loud "You greedy slag!"

Cover page http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...nt_1399891a.pdf

Page 1 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...3__1399892a.pdf

Page 2 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...4__1399893a.pdf

She makes my blood boil. Reading her letter sent me into Tourrettes overload!

im not bothered.

until you people demand the same of doctors, councillers, police and ALL OTHER PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS then i think your full of crap.

Everyonr (except me) gets creative with expenses.

Thats what expenses are.

Dont worry, the drinks are on expenses. oooh, oooh, you mean their free?

THEN..... OMG, the accounts come in.

How many MPs have accountants, and the accounts say, i'll sort this out, and using the rules they twist and turn and swirm and manage the accounts, claiming as much as they can get away with.

This whole affair is a smoke screen, and i think its clear to see its working judging by the number of 'outraged' people.

Na und ?

Das deutsche Modell ist auch kein Vorbild. Arbeitslosigkeit 4-5 Mio, die Wirtschaft schrumpft und die Banken sind kaputt

Can I be pedantic for a bit, the poll says "MP Expenses poll: How annoyed has this made you"

I was going to say I was not annoyed by this poll at all,, but then I realised I am commenting on it therefore it must have made me rather cross because of its ambiguous wording!!!

TWENTY HIGHEST EXPENSES CLAIMANTS

Total claims 2005-08 (excluding travel)

————Labour outright Win————

Liam Byrne £ 478,536 LABOUR

Joan Ryan £ 469,893 LABOUR

Dan Norris £ 450,985 LABOUR

Shahid Malik £ 446,314 LABOUR

Charlotte Atkins £ 443,244 LABOUR

David Wilshire £ 438,377 TORY

Tom Levitt £ 436,686 LABOUR

Diana Johnson £ 436,632 LABOUR

Fabian Hamilton £ 435,999 LABOUR

Jacqui Smith £ 434,909 LABOUR

Margaret Moran £ 434,456 LABOUR

Ian Austin £ 434,409 LABOUR

A. Rosindell £ 434,149 TORY

Andrew George £ 434,062 LIBDEM

Dawn Butler £ 433,865 LABOUR

Roger Godsiff £ 433,298 LABOUR

Tim Farron £ 433,260 LABOUR

Peter Hain £ 431,905 LABOUR

Norman Lamb £ 431,683 LIBDEM

S. Hesford £ 431,527 LABOUR

Source: The Sunday Times 17.05/09

I have two veins of thought, the moat cleaning etc. is so ridiculous it is quite funny.

It is the obvious cases of fraud that has me hopping mad. The flipping of homes and therefore avoidance of paying taxes is quite simply fraud and should be investigated by the appropriate authorities, it would be no great loss if certain members of the Cabinet were locked up....

Interesting one on the drinks (and luxury hotels, meals etc). I've worked places where drinks are unacceptable, and places where they are. There is the argument that most progress in business is done over coffee or beer.

However, in addition to the 'Red Face Test' there is another test that a wiser older head advised me when I was younger and fresher. It runs something like this. You are away from home for work, so you shouldnt expect more or less on expenses than you would experience at home, with your own money. Is that expense something you would do with your own money and/or in your own home this evening?

Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
im not bothered.

until you people demand the same of doctors, councillers, police and ALL OTHER PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS then i think your full of crap.

Thats what expenses are.

How many MPs have accountants, and the accounts say, i'll sort this out, and using the rules they twist and turn and swirm and manage the accounts, claiming as much as they can get away with.

This whole affair is a smoke screen, and i think its clear to see its working judging by the number of 'outraged' people.

Oh come on man its not like Joe the plumber fiddling his tax, these people are in a position of trust,supposedly pillars of society telling us what we should do and how we should behave.

Ask any court , there's theft and then there's theft whilst in a position of trust,the latter carries a much stiffer sentence !!

Is that expense something you would do with your own money and/or in your own home this evening?

*cancels thai ladyboy*

I've heard many people say all the parties are as bad as each other, but there's a bit of a theme in that list, isnt there?

Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA

Most people would have been happy having the last on the list as their wages over 10 years !!

im not bothered.

Thats what expenses are.

Exactly my thoughts.

I've heard many people say all the parties are as bad as each other, but there's a bit of a theme in that list, isnt there?

Not that I'm bashing them because I have tended to vote Liberal, but it's a numbers game more Tory/Labour MP's (and by some margin) therefore loads more with fingers in various pies.

However to be fair that list itself is misleading as a bulk of the money is staff costs, make it look much worse that it really is for some of the better MP's.

What I have found distasteful is not that some were on the take but the fact none of them seem to think they have done anything wrong.

So they played the system and it cost £92m last year....it's human nature, why should we expect anything else? All this does it prove that whoever you are and whatever role you play in society then if you can get away with it then you'll try and make as much money as you can....just look at the bankers.

It's also yet another sweetly ironic example of the law of unintended consequences....I bet many of these numbnuts voted for the freedom of information act.

Moderatly agitated... only because Ive know for years what it was like, we just didnt have the detail and it was 'ok' and the done thing.

Here’s more to make your day, from the Telegraph.

This is getting ridiculous.

—————

Anthony Steen, who spent nearly £90,000 on his second home over four years from his MP’s expenses claims, insisted his behaviour was “impeccable” and he had merely been “caught on the wrong foot”.

“As far as I am concerned and as of this day I don’t know what the fuss is about,” he told the BBC Radio 4’s The World at One.

“We have a wretched Government here which has completely mucked up the system and caused the resignation of me and many others, because it was this Government that introduced the Freedom of Information Act and it is this Government that insisted on the things which caught me on the wrong foot.

“What right does the public have to interfere with my private life? None.”

This is a scandal. But it pales into insignificance to other things that have happened.

The re-introduction of the 10p tax band. It was done for no other reason than to buy votes in the Crewe & Nantwich by-election.

The compete destruction of our nations finances - I dont yet have children, but Gordon has increased the tax burden on my Grandchildren

The complete stonewalling of anyone willing to offer Gordon any advice or criticism. Not only does he know better, he doesnt need to listen to you to know that he knows better than you. Fvck me he saved the world!!

The feckless and risk takers bailed out whilst the prudent are punished.

All of these annoy me more than the expenses scandal. Yet Mrs D has told me to stop swearing at the telly when the news reports on the latest grabbers.

Have we decided yet who is the piggiest trough-snorter? Might be interesting to see who people think is the biggest and most blatent abuser. I humbly nominate Kitty Ussher. When i read her note I was driven me to scream out loud "You greedy slag!"

Cover page http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...nt_1399891a.pdf

Page 1 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...3__1399892a.pdf

Page 2 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multi...4__1399893a.pdf

She makes my blood boil. Reading her letter sent me into Tourrettes overload!

working hard for burnley and padiham

im not bothered.

Thats what expenses are.

Most public servants don't influence the way the country is governed , MP's do, that's why is isn't just a typical 'padded' expense account. The sums involved are also truly taking the p!$$.

Most public servants don't influence the way the country is governed , MP's do,

Unfortunately you have it the wrong way around these days. MP's have no power at all, its been shipped out to the quangocracy.