House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loginandtonic

12 Month A S T - Always Get A Break Clause Or Not?

I can't see any reference at all to the break clause in my new AST. When I signed they told me I had a break clause - ie can give 2 months notice at start of month 5 so I can be out by end of month 7 if I wish. Otherwise tenancy runs 1 year. Have I been tango'd?

Another odd thing for me anyway - landlord signed/dated AST after I have already moved in

Also I don't have to let them in for inspections or viewings with new tenants do I, they've been pr!cks so far - dont see why i should do anything "nice" for them tbf.

sounds like you have to be fair.

entry rights another issue.you don't have to do viewings.

i've been a berk, open goal, must learn not to trust anyone who works in property !

on subject of entry rights - i am unsure, it is in the tenancy agreement that upon notice i must allow access, so if i dont agree am i not in breach of this? or is it an unfair contract term act clause? or is there a common law which over-rules it?

i am confused - as well as too trusting yeah i know

If you do want to leave, three months into your lease, tell LL you have lost your job and can't pay rent, but you are really thankful that you have the apartment to live in! See how fast they try to negotiate your exit ;)

If you do want to leave, three months into your lease, tell LL you have lost your job and can't pay rent, but you are really thankful that you have the apartment to live in! See how fast they try to negotiate your exit ;)

big :)

thx

but anyways, do i have to let them inspect if its in the agreement? i dont feel like doing anything nice for them, agreement says allow inspections with notice and allow viewers for last 2 months of the tenancy

big :)

thx

but anyways, do i have to let them inspect if its in the agreement? i dont feel like doing anything nice for them, agreement says allow inspections with notice and allow viewers for last 2 months of the tenancy

Look at this thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1940

It seems what might be effective is to send a recorded letter that you will only allow inspections and viewings when you are in the apartment and that they cannot enter your apartment without your presence.

And them make sure you if they contact you, that you are rarely available and only when it suits you. Also, see if you can get a simple camera that records people who enter your apartment. I wouldn't put it past the EA to enter anyway, just because he has the key.

Sometimes I think there is no point being nice if the LA and LL are slimy, they'll just take advantage of your good nature.

Look at this thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1940

It seems what might be effective is to send a recorded letter that you will only allow inspections and viewings when you are in the apartment and that they cannot enter your apartment without your presence.

And them make sure you if they contact you, that you are rarely available and only when it suits you. Also, see if you can get a simple camera that records people who enter your apartment. I wouldn't put it past the EA to enter anyway, just because he has the key.

Sometimes I think there is no point being nice if the LA and LL are slimy, they'll just take advantage of your good nature.

they say they only inspect when i'm home, but i just wondered some people say you dont have to allow any inspections, i wonder if that's true if the agreement says you would

yeah i like those cameras - very useful ;)

When I STR'd last year I brought my wireless alarm system with me. I mounted the relevant bits of it to small pieces of board so that the anti-tamper switches dont go off as I have not properly mounted it to the walls in my rented house however it is fully useable. If the LA/LL decides to make an unplanned visit while we are out then they will receive the same admonishment as a burglar. Cheap but perfectly good wireless alarm systems can be bought new off ebay for sub-£100.

Edited by v23nb

When I STR'd last year I brought my wireless alarm system with me. I mounted the relevant bits of it to small pieces of board so that the anti-tamper switches dont go off as I have not properly mounted it to the walls in my rented house however it is fully useable. If the LA/LL decides to make an unplanned visit while we are out then they will receive the same admonishment as a burglar. Cheap but perfectly good wireless alarm systems can be bought new off ebay for sub-£100.

i've some sort of basic wireless motion detecting alarm, problem is turning the energy-saving bulb light on or offf near it interferes (infra red?) and activates or deactivates the alarm, so its no use to me

Edited by loginandtonic

I can't see any reference at all to the break clause in my new AST. When I signed they told me I had a break clause - ie can give 2 months notice at start of month 5 so I can be out by end of month 7 if I wish. Otherwise tenancy runs 1 year. Have I been tango'd?

Another odd thing for me anyway - landlord signed/dated AST after I have already moved in

Also I don't have to let them in for inspections or viewings with new tenants do I, they've been pr!cks so far - dont see why i should do anything "nice" for them tbf.

It is up to you and by negociation, a break clause also allows the LL to terminate so not having one gives you security of tenure.

Break clauses are what ever you want them to be

An access they have no right to enter however co-operation makes for an easy life so it is often easy to allow REASONABLE requests when is Ok for you otherwise they have no right of entry except for repairs and emergencies. There is a counter argument on inspections that suggests the LL is more likely to maintain the house is the check once in a while to see if it is OK and I personally have to agree. Is however the inspection becomes a nose about and the LL starts to judge how you life, tell them to whilst.

Again you judge what is reasonable and you allow them access not the other way round

matt,nice to see you around again,how's the new job going?

Very well but very busy as youmay have noticed, trouble with a West Coast US company is the daily conference calls from 4-6:30pm but hey its a good job

Very well but very busy as youmay have noticed, trouble with a West Coast US company is the daily conference calls from 4-6:30pm but hey its a good job

Daily? Ouch! Mine (also with a Silicon Valley company) are twice-weekly.

FWIW, I use skype, with a headset on the laptop. Means I can sit in the comfy sofa, or even lie down on the bed, whilst in conference and with my toolkit in front of me.

Daily? Ouch! Mine (also with a Silicon Valley company) are twice-weekly.

FWIW, I use skype, with a headset on the laptop. Means I can sit in the comfy sofa, or even lie down on the bed, whilst in conference and with my toolkit in front of me.

not quite daily, Friday is the exception but we are breaking in to Europe so there is a lot to talk about, the worse are the late calls from 10-11pm but I only ever join those if it is important. All I can say is thank god for mute controls, I have been known to cook supper whilst on a call!!!

whatever's in the tenancy agree ment is over ridden by the statute which says without your permission they need a court order to enter(aside from emergency repairs).

thx, interesting, i didnt know

It is up to you and by negociation, a break clause also allows the LL to terminate so not having one gives you security of tenure.

Break clauses are what ever you want them to be

An access they have no right to enter however co-operation makes for an easy life so it is often easy to allow REASONABLE requests when is Ok for you otherwise they have no right of entry except for repairs and emergencies. There is a counter argument on inspections that suggests the LL is more likely to maintain the house is the check once in a while to see if it is OK and I personally have to agree. Is however the inspection becomes a nose about and the LL starts to judge how you life, tell them to whilst.

Again you judge what is reasonable and you allow them access not the other way round

well they want to come inspect every 3 mths ! tenant neighbour of mine hasnt had an inspection in years (diff LL)

so with this 12 monther, i'm expected to leave at end of month 12 i guess? or is it poss they write me at month 10 or 11 saying 'you can stay another year if you pay x rent' (prob increase).

they defo told me it was a break clauser ast before i signed, i dont know if i should be angry or pleased, given what you say about security of tenure. no wonder they took so long getting a copy to me