House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
babnye

Deposit

Hi

We were given notice to quit out of the blue after 6 and a half years in a property. We managed to find a new house to rent and are moving next week. This is two weeks before the notice to quit expires but with the LL consent.

The LL offered to sell the property to us behind the LA's back as they didn't want them to be involved in the sale. For a variety of reasons we chose not to buy. But this has meant that, at their instigation, there has been correspondence passing between us about the move.

The LL want to move back into the property and are going to re-carpet, re-paint and re-floor kitchens and bathrooms. They don't want us to put curtains and blinds back.

I rang the LA yesterday about handover arrangements. They knew nothing about this and said that after we move out an 'inventory clerk' would come round to check the place. I have asked they speak to the LL about the arrangements about carpets/paint etc as I am not going to the expense of doing stuff for no reason.

I've also asked about the garden. It's a bit overgrown and we have employed a gardener ourselves but we can't get him to do anything before we move out so I've offered to cut the grass and tidy up. The LL don't move in for another 6 weeks so even that seems pointless as it's going to have grown back again after that.

The LL now says she's 'taking advice' on the garden. FFS!

I really don't want to lose our deposit. The LL have really done nothing to the place for 6 years. We have two small kids so I've never chased them to update but I have always made the LA aware of the condition of the property. I have tried really hard to accomodate the LL and be amicable over the last few weeks. I'd like to think if it was me I would be quite happy to return the deposit and wouldn't be bothering about the state of the grass but not everyone is the same!

Any advice for keeping this civil and ensuring our deposit is returned?

Hi

We were given notice to quit out of the blue after 6 and a half years in a property. We managed to find a new house to rent and are moving next week. This is two weeks before the notice to quit expires but with the LL consent.

The LL offered to sell the property to us behind the LA's back as they didn't want them to be involved in the sale. For a variety of reasons we chose not to buy. But this has meant that, at their instigation, there has been correspondence passing between us about the move.

Why does this matter? The sale is not the LA's business. I don't follow why this should affect anything

The LL want to move back into the property and are going to re-carpet, re-paint and re-floor kitchens and bathrooms. They don't want us to put curtains and blinds back.

Unless they expect you to pay for this it shouldn't be a cause for concern

I rang the LA yesterday about handover arrangements. They knew nothing about this and said that after we move out an 'inventory clerk' would come round to check the place. I have asked they speak to the LL about the arrangements about carpets/paint etc as I am not going to the expense of doing stuff for no reason.

You should make it clear that you would want to accompany a final inspection (is this possible?) so that any problems can be discussed. Was an inventory taken when you moved in? If not you are not liable. I'd dig it out and check it.

I've also asked about the garden. It's a bit overgrown and we have employed a gardener ourselves but we can't get him to do anything before we move out so I've offered to cut the grass and tidy up. The LL don't move in for another 6 weeks so even that seems pointless as it's going to have grown back again after that.

The LL now says she's 'taking advice' on the garden. FFS!

I really don't want to lose our deposit. The LL have really done nothing to the place for 6 years. We have two small kids so I've never chased them to update but I have always made the LA aware of the condition of the property. I have tried really hard to accomodate the LL and be amicable over the last few weeks. I'd like to think if it was me I would be quite happy to return the deposit and wouldn't be bothering about the state of the grass but not everyone is the same!

Any advice for keeping this civil and ensuring our deposit is returned?

Has you have been there for 6 1/2 years they should expect wear and tear. Unless there are major issues that you haven't alerted the LL to they should hand back your deposit in full. There might be a case for saying that the garden is in a state of disrepair and you need to pay for it. I'd take photos of the property and the garden (especially the garden as sounds like it might be what they will home in on). If they do any work on it, it should be the minimum and they should produce an invoice.

Regarding your tenancy agreement when is it dated from? Is it eligible for the TDS?

The LL doesn't have the right to charge for wear and tear. Any deductions from your deposit should be fully justified and accompanied by an invoice. There is no reason why you shouldn't get all the money back, unless there are serious issues with the garden.

Why does this matter? The sale is not the LA's business. I don't follow why this should affect anything

Unless they expect you to pay for this it shouldn't be a cause for concern

You should make it clear that you would want to accompany a final inspection (is this possible?) so that any problems can be discussed. Was an inventory taken when you moved in? If not you are not liable. I'd dig it out and check it.

Has you have been there for 6 1/2 years they should expect wear and tear. Unless there are major issues that you haven't alerted the LL to they should hand back your deposit in full. There might be a case for saying that the garden is in a state of disrepair and you need to pay for it. I'd take photos of the property and the garden (especially the garden as sounds like it might be what they will home in on). If they do any work on it, it should be the minimum and they should produce an invoice.

Regarding your tenancy agreement when is it dated from? Is it eligible for the TDS?

The LL doesn't have the right to charge for wear and tear. Any deductions from your deposit should be fully justified and accompanied by an invoice. There is no reason why you shouldn't get all the money back, unless there are serious issues with the garden.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

I'm probably just fretting. Two kids at home with chicken pox and a move on my hands!

No the garden isn't bad. We have looked after it. It just needs a tidy up and we had been employing a gardener. I last cut the grass three weeks ago. they have seen it recently too as I let them in to do some jobs

I was just hoping they'd say don't worry about the garden you've enough on your hands! I was a bit worried by the reaction!

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

I'm probably just fretting. Two kids at home with chicken pox and a move on my hands!

No the garden isn't bad. We have looked after it. It just needs a tidy up and we had been employing a gardener. I last cut the grass three weeks ago. they have seen it recently too as I let them in to do some jobs

I was just hoping they'd say don't worry about the garden you've enough on your hands! I was a bit worried by the reaction!

They'll want to do things by the book. They don't want to say "Yeah, everything's fine" until they've seen the state of it when you move out. I'm sure it'll be fine. Just don't say something like "We'll pay for the garden if you are unhappy with it when we leave" or somesuch, cos they'll take this as an opportunity to get some gardening done at your expense.

Hope your kids get better soon, sounds like a bit of a nightmare at the mo!