House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smell the Fear

Townhouses

Interested to hear your opinions on townhouses, a style of house which has become increasingly popular recently (due to their small footprint allowing maximisation of the site for a developer and also government decree on housing density).

Many of these offer what I would describe as "a lot of space for the money", i.e. garage, utility, 4 beds, 2 or 3 bathrooms for the price of a 3 bed semi. The downside is the layout - many have a garage and utility on the ground floor and living room and kitchen on 1st floor, beds/baths on 2nd/3rd floors - lots of stairs.

What's the view on this? Do most people prefer to take the traditonal semi or have more space in a slightly less practical layout? Anyone lived in such a property and have an opinion?

Edited by Smell the Fear

I still want to know what the difference is between a 'townhouse' and a 'terraced' house?

... and while we are at it, what is the difference between an 'apartment' and a 'flat'?

... apart from the price obviously ;)

Edit: should not drink and post :(

Edit 2: I wanted to buy a 'townhouse' (was out bid on one in 2007 :( ) My dad viewed them with me. His comment on townhouses, "pokey and over priced!" :lol: How right he was.

Edited by Belfast Boy

I live in a modernish (10 years old) 3 bed townhouse luckily with garage on the side not incorporated into the ground floor which is hopeless as the garage and utility make up the whole ground floor and therefore the actual living space is on first and second floors and is usually quite cramped. The actual square footage of mine is larger than a two-storey 4 bed in the same road. The big downside the the stairs - I dream of only the one flight. However classic Georgian terraces are normally 3 floors and not that much different in layout. The most ridiculous thing is that all modern townhouses are never actually located in the town so the name is rather misleading. Whereas generally a 'Georgian terrace' will be more centrally placed.

I live in one just now.

3 floors

- ground floor is living room, kitchen, bathroom

- first floor is my bedroom, ensuite bathroom and spare room

- second floor is daughters' bedroom, girlfriend's little brother's room and another bathroom

2 lots of stairs but you get used to it.

If I'd the money i'd buy it but landlord still holding out for over 160k :rolleyes:

We rented a 3 storey townhouse (semi) for 18 months.

It was one of the ones where the ground floor was the garage.

As others have already mentioned the problem is the stairs, a real pain after a while although good for the fitness levels.

The thing which made me laugh was that the landlord plans to use it as a retirement home , definately not suitable for to elderly or families with young kids imo.

The other factor that amazed me was the prices :

New they sold for £135k , at the peak asking prices of £250k ( not sure if any sold for this)

now several for sale for £155k and have been for many months.

The thing is they are about 5 years old and you can buy a larger version from the same builder half a mile away for £170k or £131k "smartmove scam " ;) imo they will end up below the original £135 k price.

Interested to hear your opinions on townhouses, a style of house which has become increasingly popular recently (due to their small footprint allowing maximisation of the site for a developer and also government decree on housing density).

Many of these offer what I would describe as "a lot of space for the money", i.e. garage, utility, 4 beds, 2 or 3 bathrooms for the price of a 3 bed semi. The downside is the layout - many have a garage and utility on the ground floor and living room and kitchen on 1st floor, beds/baths on 2nd/3rd floors - lots of stairs.

What's the view on this? Do most people prefer to take the traditonal semi or have more space in a slightly less practical layout? Anyone lived in such a property and have an opinion?

Here in London the most expensive homes are townhouses, usually Georgian admittedly, but some 4 or 5 storeys high.

I wouldnt buy one ;)

1. Not suitable for small children, elderly, people with mobility issues (you restrict your market when you sell).

2. Split level accomodation - very unpopular, know lots of people with small kids now having to move from split level houses and having trouble selling them on (even at reduced prices)

3. Back gardens tend to be narrow and overlooked by house on either side of you! No topless sunbathing.

4. Front gardens - absent in most cases.

5. Generally less room and a feeling of being squashed in by the properties on either side.

They are terrace houses..... even known as such by the land and valuation agency.........only people that benefit from this style of living are the builders who profit from sqaushing as many houses on top of each other as possible..... and those ones at Annadale embankment are a rip off! ;)

Also, Doccy, Townhouses in rural areas............... oh please!!!! :lol:

Edited by imgoingslightlymad

Yes but townhouses tend to have larger rooms and higher ceilings, at least the older ones. And are much more beautiful than shitty semis.

psquare5_1117330c.jpg

Edited by River Man

My pal lives in a large newbuild townhouse and I always thought she missed out in not having the back garden on the same level as the living area, so she couldn't let her young children out unless she was there. Also, although the house has a lot of square footage, it's spread around so that the main living area isn't that large. I'd imagine it's a good house when you have teenagers as everyone can have a section of the house to themselves, but definitely not a good home for a young family.

Yes but townhouses tend to have larger rooms and higher ceilings, at least the older ones. And are much more beautiful than shitty semis.

psquare5_1117330c.jpg

The Northern Ireland version is more like this

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...=1&sort=h2l

:(

imo 2 bed townhouses and 1 bed flats will be almost impossible to sell as they were built for the now dead investment market , no one in their right mind would buy one to live in :lol::lol:

OK you've confirmed my suspicions - 99% of people don't like 'em so it would have resale problems. Personally I've seen one I like and it offers a lot of space for the money and a spacious garden, in a great location in Belfast.

The resale issue is a major negative though...

Thanks!