House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Mps 'will Escape Rising Food Prices'

Missed this one, from a while back

Quantitative shitting is obvious just for the plebs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/511...ood-prices.html

MPs 'will escape rising food prices'

MPs will not be hit by the rising cost of food and drink following a controversial decision to cap price increases in the restaurants, cafes and bars within the Houses of Parliament.

By Robert Winnett, Deputy Political Editor

Last Updated: 4:47PM BST 06 Apr 2009

The maximum rise in the price of any item sold in the Parliamentary catering establishments will be capped at five per cent this year - despite food and drink prices rising by more than 18 per cent in supermarkets.

The deal, agreed by senior MPs at a meeting last month, means the taxpayer will have to provide a £5 million subsidy for food and drink sold within the Palace of Westminster.

"£5 million subsidy for food and drink sold within the Palace of Westminster. "

Douglas Alexander announces £5 million extra food aid for Afghanistan

The Secretary of State for International Development, Douglas Alexander, has announced an extra £5 million of food aid to the Government of Afghanistan.

He said: "Afghan citizens look to the state for protection against shocks such as drought and natural disaster. Oxfam currently estimates that up to 5 million Afghans face severe food shortages. The Afghan Government does not have the capacity or the resources to respond to this alone – instead it has launched an appeal, together with the World Food Programme, for international assistance.

"The United Kingdom was among the first countries to pledged assistance to that appeal. Yet it is clear that the international response is falling short at a crucial time. As we approach the bitter Afghan winter, as many as half a million pregnant and breastfeeding women, and more than a million children under the age of five, are facing malnutrition.

"That is why today I can announce that the United Kingdom will provide a further £5 million to support the World Food Programme to help some four and a half million Afghans to find the food that they and their families need.

http://www2.dfid.gov.uk/news/files/pressre...an-food-aid.asp

We must not allow MPs to starve in the hot UK summers,

Wines

Mr. Hoban: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what the (a) average cost of wine, (B) cost and name of the most expensive wine bottle and © cost and name of the most expensive spirit bought for the Government wine cellar was in the last 12 months. [215046]

Meg Munn: Between June 2007 and May 2008 the average cost of wine purchased for the Government wine cellar was £15.28 per bottle. The most expensive

7 July 2008 : Column 1344W

wine purchased during this period was a red Bordeaux wine, Vieux Chateau Certan 2004. The most expensive spirit purchased was Johnny Walker Black Label whisky.

The costs for individual items of stock cannot be disclosed because of the commercially sensitive relationships with Government Hospitality's suppliers. Releasing these prices into the public domain may damage Government Hospitality's ability to achieve good value for money.

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic.../80707w0044.htm

:( It sickens me to think of the cheap wine they are forced to endure

It's important to keep the trough well-filled.

They don't care about house prices, except for them going up and they don't care about inflation because they have the printing press.

they also get fags and booze EXEMPT from duty

they exempt themselves from the taxes they levy on us. it's outrageous.

They exempt themselves from the law too.

They won't notice the increases in food prices in the supermarkets either as they will put it all on expenses.

Mrs Erat Forte asks, Do they have to go outside to smoke their duty-free fags?

They won't notice the increases in food prices in the supermarkets either as they will put it all on expenses.

I believe not.

I'm under the impression they don't need to go outside for a smoke.

As for the prices they have to "endure", take a look at this sample menu; Click Here. I'm sure it's probably been posted before, but it infuriates me every time I see it.

As for the prices they have to "endure", take a look at this sample menu; Click Here. I'm sure it's probably been posted before, but it infuriates me every time I see it.

look on the bright side , its surprising that food isn,t free at the terrace HOC restaurant ,they seem to have slipped up.

Maddening Menus eh?

If you think they have access to that - why do they need over £100 a week food-money subsidies or is it coz they can only shop in Harrods Food Halls?

Edited by erranta

"£5 million subsidy for food and drink sold within the Palace of Westminster. "

We must not allow MPs to starve in the hot UK summers,

The Secretary of State for International Development, Douglas Alexander, has announced an extra £5 million of food aid to the Government of Afghanistan.

:( It sickens me to think of the cheap wine they are forced to endure

Wouldn't it be more energy and financially efficient to feed the MPs directly to the Afghans? They could even be slaughtered halal-style. No, scotch that, Afghans don't eat pigs.