House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Injin

Foreign Labour Walkout Continues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8058990.stm

Thousands of contract workers at oil and gas plants in England and Wales are staging unofficial strikes in protest over the use of foreign labour.

Staff at a Pembrokeshire gas terminal and two oil refineries in North Lincolnshire are taking part in the wildcat action which began on Tuesday.

Workers there say an agreement to offer jobs to local workers has been broken.

Similar walkouts took place in January after a Lincolnshire refinery gave a £200m contract to an Italian firm.

The latest dispute began when workers at the liquefied natural gas terminal in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, accused their bosses of breaching an agreement to employ British staff at the South Hook site.

Union shop steward Jason Smith said a contracting firm's decision to only employ Polish labour for a phase of work had got "everybody's backs up".

"The only reason we're here is they [the workers] all feel let down. The site agreement has always been local and British labour first," he said.

But Hertel UK, the contractor for the Pembrokeshire site, said it had been unable to source skilled people for the start of the project.

Managing director David Fitzsimons said: "As a result, we subcontracted the works to a third party which also employs non-UK labour and was also engaged on phase one of this project in 2008."

He added: "I regret that this situation has escalated. We understand people's concerns and we have engaged in detailed discussions with trade union national officials and local representatives."

Talks between the workers and contractors have taken place and are expected to continue later in a bid to resolve the row.

Meanwhile, sympathy strikes are continuing in other parts of the UK.

More than two thousand workers at the ConocoPhillips and Lindsey oil refineries in North Lincolnshire have walked out after similar action on Tuesday.

Tony Ryan, a steward at Lindsey Oil Refinery, told the BBC: "They [the South Hook workers] came out in support of us in February and we are doing the same.

"They are suffering the same hardship as we suffered in February and the same discrimination and they have asked for our support and we are giving it fully."

Humberside Police said road closures caused by the protest were set to be lifted at lunchtime.

Workers at other sites across the UK, including those at the Fiddlers Ferry power plant in Cheshire, are holding meetings to decide whether they will walk out in support of the action.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK.

Edited by Injin

Jobs displacement on home turf + more outsourcing (see thread I just started on Global Workforce).

This is going to end well, not.

I love the smell the protectionism in the morning.

You can't compete with slaves on the price for your labour.

I love the smell the protectionism in the morning.

It's human. I fear this reaction, it's so easy to understand.

As an expat in Geneva, I'm in the same position as the Poles in the UK, I'm cheaper and better than the available Swiss, and about the same as the available French. No demos here yet, but the Swiss are starting to talk about limiting work permits again. The Swiss can get away with protectionism in hard times, being banker to all the worlds criminals insulates them. I'm not sure the UK can get away with it.

Whatever we do has to be consistent.

We can stop the use of cheaper labour over here, but we must also stop the import of products made by the same people over there. It will increase prices but that's the intention - to increase the reward to labour - isn't it?

The UK will become protectionist again purely because everyone else will. It's the natural order of things to try and protect your own vital industries - the Japanese and Koreans have never lost sight of this.

All we're seeing is the end of a short, aberrant period in history where a chance combination of factors, from the collapse of the Communist Bloc opening up new markets, to a glut of cheap energy, and innovations in credit generation opened up a window for a perverse ideology of constant "growth" via "globalisation".

That's all over now. Back to earning our way in the world, if we still know how......

Jobs displacement on home turf + more outsourcing (see thread I just started on Global Workforce).

This is going to end well, not.

it might end with the public waking up and demand all them jobs in local goverment are given to local people and not immigrants as a money for votes scam because they all vote labour

some times things need to get worse before they get better.

Do the employers actually believe local workers are going to sit back and watch all the jobs either being offshored or bringing in cheap labour

for the jobs that cant be offshored.

The employers and managers will need the sort of security that the world leaders get at the G20 summits.

Do the employers actually believe local workers are going to sit back and watch all the jobs either being offshored or bringing in cheap labour

for the jobs that cant be offshored.

The employers and managers will need the sort of security that the world leaders get at the G20 summits.

Experience suggests this isn't realistic fudge.

Personally, all that pisses me off is hypocrisy. People complain when their jobs get offshored, but then they go to Primark and buy clothes for nothing. This makes me sick. Can we just either be Global or protectionist, and stop trying to have our cake and eat it?

Whatever we do has to be consistent.

We can stop the use of cheaper labour over here, but we must also stop the import of products made by the same people over there. It will increase prices but that's the intention - to increase the reward to labour - isn't it?

I agree, and reckon those days will eventually return, especially if fossil fuels are indeed in decline.

Edit: Have you ever been in Primark? Bloody awful, glorified jumble sale.

Edited by PopGun

What's good for US banks is good for ...........

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/05/20...n-worker-rules/

Rules preventing US banks from hiring foreigners are a “complete and utter disgrace” and could prompt other governments to retaliate against American expatriates, Jamie Dimon, chief executive of JPMorgan Chase, warned on Tuesday. Dimon told the bank’s annual shareholder meeting that the provisions, which apply to recipients of government aid, had forced JPMorgan to withdraw job offers to 40 or 50 overseas graduates.

Personally, all that pisses me off is hypocrisy. People complain when their jobs get offshored, but then they go to Primark and buy clothes for nothing. This makes me sick. Can we just either be Global or protectionist, and stop trying to have our cake and eat it?

+1

I agree, and reckon those days will eventually return, especially if fossil fuels are indeed in decline.

Edit: Have you ever been in Primark? Bloody awful, glorified jumble sale.

What have I ever said to you to deserve that? ;)

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK.

It's no use quoting JFK anymore.

We just hear that silly Simpson's voice in our heads when you do it.

People want decent paid jobs all over the world.

I thought capitalism and globalisation wasnt a zero sum game?

What have I ever said to you to deserve that? ;)

:lol:

Seriously though the place brings me out in a rash just walking past it.

I know it's near on impossible not to consume cheap foreign goods, but anyone that shops in Primark imo should have their rights as a UK citizen revoked. ;)