House Price Crash Forum

Mps' Expenses Scandal -

Guest KingCharles1st

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how to get a schedule of media appearances for cabinet ministers? I doubt I could get into a press conference but I'm happy to heckle these bastards when they give press conferences out on the street.

As I work from home I'm very flexible and I'm close to central London. Anyone know? I'm happy to do this.

So they want the police to investigate the fact that someone has exposed their fraud and misappropriation of taxpayers' money?

You couldn't make it up could ya?

Just Harriet Harman on Channel 4 News trying to paper over the cracks. I listened to her this morning on R4 too, blaming the debacle on that Tory sleazebag Derek Conway in a vain attempt to deflect attention away from cabinet MPs

The whole thing is absolutely unbelievable really.

I can't imagine why people aren't tooling themselves up right now.

This might have something to do with it.

I can see two easy ways to put a stop to this corruption.

First: require all MPs to declare every detail of every expenses claim to the Register of Member's Interests, available online.

Second: require any incumbent MP to publish a full listing of all expenses claims as an appendix to their next election manifesto.

The only reason the bastards thought they could get away with it was because they believed that we'd never find out.

I dont know if anyone has posted the message below that was circulated around the house of commons today ........

(couresty of the Guido blog )

To all Members

I refer to the publication today of articles in The Daily Telegraph about Members’ expenses apparently based on information held in confidence by the House service.

The advice which I have received is that there are reasonable grounds to believe a criminal offence may have been committed in relation to the way this information has been handled. Having informed Mr Speaker I have today made a report to the Metropolitan Police, asking them to consider the matter.

Recognising individual Members’ concerns, an inquiry line (020 7219 XXXX) has been set up which will be open during working hours and between 10 am and 2 pm on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May. A senior member of staff will be on hand to assist Members.

If it would be more convenient, you can e-mail xxxxxxx@parliament.uk supplying contact details and a member of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please note if you or your delegate call the inquiry line you will be required to provide proof of identity through the MP Verify identification system used by the Department of Resources.

Malcolm Jack

Clerk of the House and Chief Executive

.....not a happy herd of snouts today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/ma...ty-mps-expenses

Employment minister Tony McNulty could face a police investigation over his controversial expenses claims, police said tonight.

A police spokesman said: "We have received a complaint from a member of the public and we are considering the allegation."

So police will respond to complaints from the public. Lets get busy

http://www1.sky.com/news/GreenBook.pdf

Guest UK Debt Slave
...and massively subsidised by the taxpayers, including millions of priced out young people still holed up with mum and Dad, living in dank BTL magnolia dives or slummy shared houses.

Still, they know we can't do anything. The Tories will be up to the same thing, probably the Liberals as well. We'll either vote for the evil of three lessers or abstain and end up with a Government voted in by 22% of the electorate - again. Yes, our hands are tied...

... or are they?

Nicolae-Ceausescu-dead.jpg

5.jpg

Mussolini, his missus and some of his fascist henchmen meet their maker

mussolini.jpg

Wouldn't rattle me at all to see Bliar, Broon, Hoon, Harman, Blears, Beckett, Milliband x 2, Balls, Mandelson et all share a similar fate.

Guest AuntJess
I can see two easy ways to put a stop to this corruption.

First: require all MPs to declare every detail of every expenses claim to the Register of Member's Interests, available online.

Second: require any incumbent MP to publish a full listing of all expenses claims as an appendix to their next election manifesto.

The only reason the bastards thought they could get away with it was because they believed that we'd never find out.

Yes. I think that. They have no shame. Their attitude is chagrin at having been found out. They should catalogue what they spend, the way the rates are published every year. We should SEE what they spend en masse and be able to follow up, with more specific details on request.

I have been banging on about accountability for at least a decade - in other avenues of life.

I used to be concerned with the licence afforded to GPs in several ways, one being the hire of practice counsellors. Being a law unto themselves they can - singlehandedly - hire staff and sign a document to say that the person hired, is up to the job. I - and several colleagues of mine - KNEW that a fair number of GPs were hiring their own practice nurses - with zero therapy training - and signing an official document to say that they were counsellors. This entitled them to be paid £15 per hour of public money... NOT the doctor's money, note well, but the taxpayer's.

What annoyed my colleagues and I was that WE were training counsellors and our students were paying fees to train, only to find that the potential jobs were 'filled' by practice nurses with perhaps a week's training. These students were spending a total of 4 years part-time - to qualify, and paying quite a bit to do so. So they were deprived of a livelihood they had trained for and paid for, because GPs obviously thought it was a pushover job which could be done by any nurse.

The upshot to all our complaints was that NOW, no one is allowed to counsel in the NHS without the required quals. - since April 1997 - except that... THOSE WHO WERE ALREADY WORKING IN THE NHS AS COUNSELLORS WERE ALLOWED TO REMAIN, even tho' they were not 'trained up'. :huh:

Just thought some of you might like to know that, if you ever need to go to see a therapist in the NHS. <_<

My point in this little 'detour' offtopic is that :

Where there is no accountability and no checks made, people in positions of trust and responsibility will take advantage of the licence granted to them.

Edited by AuntJess
It's not true, labour troll a+b+c+d made it up as I posted.

Before you accuse people of lying, I suggest that you check your facts first:

Under our Local Housing scheme, any community which wishes to benefit from development could essentially

provide themselves with permission to expand, as long as they can demonstrate that they have met various standard

criteria. In particular they will have to demonstrate strong local approval for their planned development – with no

more than 10 per cent opposition in a community referendum. The community in this case is defined as residents

on the electoral register within the relevant parish or town council.

From

Nurturing Responsibility

Policy Green

Paper No.10

available via the Conservatives' own website Conservative Party

I await your apology.

Edited by a+b+c+d

From

Nurturing Responsibility

Policy Green

Paper No.10

available via the Conservatives' own website Conservative Party

I await your apology.

It refers to an fast track of permission under local housing trusts, the enitre reason is to avoid the problems

you describe. From your link

4.2.2 New community-led housing – Local Housing Trusts

Despite the success of the Community Land Trust model, many smaller communities continue to be told by

bureaucrats that their own expansion doesn’t fit with their plans and is simply off-limits. The enduring weakness

of the Trust model is that it still requires permission from the planning authorities, and, where that has not be

provided for within local or regional plans then the likelihood is that a Community Land Trust will not get planning

permission. As a consequence, many communities are unable to develop the homes they desperately need.

We believe that these restrictions should be lifted – if a community wishes to propose its own expansion then it

should be able to enjoy unique powers to provide itself with the planning permission required.

We will therefore legislate to allow the creation of new bodies – to be called Local Housing Trusts – for those

villages and towns which wish to develop new housing to benefit their community. These bodies will have

unparalleled power to develop new homes and other space for community use, subject only to the agreement

of local people.

Under our Local Housing scheme, any community which wishes to benefit from development could essentially

provide themselves with permission to expand, as long as they can demonstrate that they have met various standard

criteria. In particular they will have to demonstrate strong local approval for their planned development – with no

more than 10 per cent opposition in a community referendum. The community in this case is defined as residents

on the electoral register within the relevant parish or town council. Any Local Housing Trust development will

also have to be ‘in keeping’ with the area’s existing architectural style.

Strong Foundations: Building Homes and Communities 23The type and quantity of housing to be built will be for the Local Housing Trust to decide. We anticipate that

communities might wish to build 5-10 properties, which could be a mixture of market housing for sale, affordable

housing for rent, sheltered housing for elderly local residents, or low cost starter homes for young local families

struggling to get on the housing ladder. As well as building homes for existing local residents, Trusts may well

also wish to advertise housing to attract new residents to move to the area. This is particularly important in rural

areas where shrinking populations threaten the continued existence of local services like post offices, GP surgeries

and schools.

Having consulted on the details of their plans and polled to secure their community mandate, the Trust will present

a dossier on their proposed development to their local planning authority. The role of the council will be to check

if the necessary criteria have been met. We will legislate to ensure that if the criteria have been met, planning

permission is automatically granted; if not, then the decision will revert to the local planning authority and be

treated as any other planning application.

In other words, provided a community can agree on the size and type of housing development that it wants, it will

get a mandatory presumption in favour of the development from the local planning authority. This will provide

genuine local democratic control over the delivery of new housing, as well as significantly speeding up

development. And because so many of the communities that will benefit from Local Housing Trusts have spent

years being stifled by top-down plans, the new housing they deliver will be in additional to, rather than in place

of, development elsewhere.

As well as housing, Local Housing Trusts will be allowed to assist the community by providing other services

for the benefit of local people. For instance, they might offer long-term low rent commercial accommodation

for a village shop on a serviced tenancy, a community hall, or a sports facility.

Crucially the constitution of a Local Housing Trust will ensure that the benefits of development will remain within

the community in perpetuity. So any affordable housing that is sold at below market rates to local residents cannot

be subsequently sold on the open market, but can only be sold back to the Trust and therefore recycled within the

community.

In order to prevent overdevelopment, Local Housing Trusts will be able to expand the size of the community

by a maximum of 10 per cent over any 10 year period.This will ensure that local infrastructure can cope with

the number of new residents, although, as mentioned above, new development may actually be necessary to protect

the viability of local amenities.

Local Housing Trusts will be required to undergo extensive consultation with the local community regarding their

development plans. As part of this consultation process, we will permit Local Housing Trusts to increase or

decrease the number of houses proposed depending on the number of interested parties. Provided a Trust

has not exceeded the 10 per cent expansion limit, we will allow individuals to seek to ‘bolt on’ additional

new housing units to the development. Such individuals will have to demonstrate that they can borrow the

money necessary to build a new dwelling and, as before, their applications will be subject to an approval

threshold from the community (no more than 10 per cent opposition). They will also have to agree to be

bound by the same constraints on benefit as the rest of the Local Housing Trusts, including being ‘in keeping’

with the area’s existing architectural style.

24Existing legislation allows for Exception Sites to be developed on the edge of small rural settlements to provide

affordable housing. We will use this legislation as a starting point for the legal framework to provide for the

creation of Local Housing Trusts, with a broader definition of an eligible community and without some of the

limitations that apply to the development of Exception Sites.

In order to assist with the provision of the technical skills required to start a Local Housing Trust, we will help

establish a voluntary body representing Local Housing Trusts across the country, funded by subscription

by those who participate in the scheme, to pool knowledge and experience to help provide assistance and

guidance to newly formed Trusts.

The creation of Local Housing Trusts will also help to support and retain vital construction skills at the local

level. The construction industry has an excellent record in training young people and in running high-quality

apprenticeships, and the industry’s Sector Skills Council recently established the first clearing-house to support

apprenticeships laid off in the recession. But, despite this impressive record, there is enormous unmet demand

from young people who want to gain high-quality skills in construction and related industries. Before the

recession, there were around 50,000 applications each year for construction industry apprenticeships but only

9,000 places.

This is, to a large degree, a reflection of the bureaucracy involved in offering apprenticeships and it needs to be

tackled at a national level. That is why we have outlined a number of proposals to make it easier for employers

to offer apprenticeships.

However, there is also scope for local apprenticeship initiatives linked to Local Housing

Trusts, as well as local apprenticeship schemes arising from some of the other policies that we set out in this

green paper. For example, community-based organisations could commit to training young people as part of a

local housing development project. Or local authorities could specify a local training element in some housing

developments in their area. These would reinforce the national apprenticeships initiatives we have already

proposed.

4.3 G

:lol:

I await your apology.

It's even in your post :lol:

criteria.

It refers to an fast track of permission under local housing trusts, the enitre reason is to avoid the problems

you describe. From your link

4.2.2 New community-led housing – Local Housing Trusts

Despite the success of the Community Land Trust model, many smaller communities continue to be told by

bureaucrats that their own expansion doesn’t fit with their plans and is simply off-limits. The enduring weakness

of the Trust model is that it still requires permission from the planning authorities, and, where that has not be

provided for within local or regional plans then the likelihood is that a Community Land Trust will not get planning

permission. As a consequence, many communities are unable to develop the homes they desperately need.

We believe that these restrictions should be lifted – if a community wishes to propose its own expansion then it

should be able to enjoy unique powers to provide itself with the planning permission required.

We will therefore legislate to allow the creation of new bodies – to be called Local Housing Trusts – for those

villages and towns which wish to develop new housing to benefit their community. These bodies will have

unparalleled power to develop new homes and other space for community use, subject only to the agreement

of local people.

on the electoral register within the relevant parish or town council. Any Local Housing Trust development will

also have to be ‘in keeping’ with the area’s existing architectural style.

Strong Foundations: Building Homes and Communities 23The type and quantity of housing to be built will be for the Local Housing Trust to decide. We anticipate that

communities might wish to build 5-10 properties, which could be a mixture of market housing for sale, affordable

housing for rent, sheltered housing for elderly local residents, or low cost starter homes for young local families

struggling to get on the housing ladder. As well as building homes for existing local residents, Trusts may well

also wish to advertise housing to attract new residents to move to the area. This is particularly important in rural

areas where shrinking populations threaten the continued existence of local services like post offices, GP surgeries

and schools.

Having consulted on the details of their plans and polled to secure their community mandate, the Trust will present

a dossier on their proposed development to their local planning authority. The role of the council will be to check

if the necessary criteria have been met. We will legislate to ensure that if the criteria have been met, planning

permission is automatically granted; if not, then the decision will revert to the local planning authority and be

treated as any other planning application.

In other words, provided a community can agree on the size and type of housing development that it wants, it will

get a mandatory presumption in favour of the development from the local planning authority. This will provide

genuine local democratic control over the delivery of new housing, as well as significantly speeding up

development. And because so many of the communities that will benefit from Local Housing Trusts have spent

years being stifled by top-down plans, the new housing they deliver will be in additional to, rather than in place

of, development elsewhere.

As well as housing, Local Housing Trusts will be allowed to assist the community by providing other services

for the benefit of local people. For instance, they might offer long-term low rent commercial accommodation

for a village shop on a serviced tenancy, a community hall, or a sports facility.

Crucially the constitution of a Local Housing Trust will ensure that the benefits of development will remain within

the community in perpetuity. So any affordable housing that is sold at below market rates to local residents cannot

be subsequently sold on the open market, but can only be sold back to the Trust and therefore recycled within the

community.

In order to prevent overdevelopment, Local Housing Trusts will be able to expand the size of the community

by a maximum of 10 per cent over any 10 year period.This will ensure that local infrastructure can cope with

the number of new residents, although, as mentioned above, new development may actually be necessary to protect

the viability of local amenities.

Local Housing Trusts will be required to undergo extensive consultation with the local community regarding their

development plans. As part of this consultation process, we will permit Local Housing Trusts to increase or

decrease the number of houses proposed depending on the number of interested parties. Provided a Trust

has not exceeded the 10 per cent expansion limit, we will allow individuals to seek to ‘bolt on’ additional

new housing units to the development. Such individuals will have to demonstrate that they can borrow the

money necessary to build a new dwelling and, as before, their applications will be subject to an approval

threshold from the community (no more than 10 per cent opposition). They will also have to agree to be

bound by the same constraints on benefit as the rest of the Local Housing Trusts, including being ‘in keeping’

with the area’s existing architectural style.

24Existing legislation allows for Exception Sites to be developed on the edge of small rural settlements to provide

affordable housing. We will use this legislation as a starting point for the legal framework to provide for the

creation of Local Housing Trusts, with a broader definition of an eligible community and without some of the

limitations that apply to the development of Exception Sites.

In order to assist with the provision of the technical skills required to start a Local Housing Trust, we will help

establish a voluntary body representing Local Housing Trusts across the country, funded by subscription

by those who participate in the scheme, to pool knowledge and experience to help provide assistance and

guidance to newly formed Trusts.

The creation of Local Housing Trusts will also help to support and retain vital construction skills at the local

level. The construction industry has an excellent record in training young people and in running high-quality

apprenticeships, and the industry’s Sector Skills Council recently established the first clearing-house to support

apprenticeships laid off in the recession. But, despite this impressive record, there is enormous unmet demand

from young people who want to gain high-quality skills in construction and related industries. Before the

recession, there were around 50,000 applications each year for construction industry apprenticeships but only

9,000 places.

This is, to a large degree, a reflection of the bureaucracy involved in offering apprenticeships and it needs to be

tackled at a national level. That is why we have outlined a number of proposals to make it easier for employers

to offer apprenticeships.

However, there is also scope for local apprenticeship initiatives linked to Local Housing

Trusts, as well as local apprenticeship schemes arising from some of the other policies that we set out in this

green paper. For example, community-based organisations could commit to training young people as part of a

local housing development project. Or local authorities could specify a local training element in some housing

developments in their area. These would reinforce the national apprenticeships initiatives we have already

proposed.

4.3 G

:lol:

Good try TP. You think that by cutting and pasting a huge part of the document you'll wear us all out. Wrong.

The fact remains that, as things stand, 'more than 10%' opposition will stop such developments. But, never mind, we'll change his mind well before the election.

Good try TP. You think that by cutting and pasting a huge part of the document you'll wear us all out. Wrong.

The fact remains that, as things stand, 'more than 10%' opposition will stop such developments. But, never mind, we'll change his mind well before the election.

criteria.

Edited by Tom Peters

ITV news at 10 revealed some more expenses claims including the one for personal security. It seems this will continue for some time. There's apparently eight pages of new claims in tomorrows Telegraph. Question, if the Telegraph is a Tory newspaper, why would they even release the info about the Tory MP's?

[/b]

Yes. I think that. They have no shame. Their attitude is chagrin at having been found out. They should catalogue what they spend, the way the rates are published every year. We should SEE what they spend en masse and be able to follow up, with more specific details on request.

I have been banging on about accountability for at least a decade - in other avenues of life.

I used to be concerned with the licence afforded to GPs in several ways, one being the hire of practice counsellors. Being a law unto themselves they can - singlehandedly - hire staff and sign a document to say that the person hired, is up to the job. I - and several colleagues of mine - KNEW that a fair number of GPs were hiring their own practice nurses - with zero therapy training - and signing an official document to say that they were counsellors. This entitled them to be paid £15 per hour of public money... NOT the doctor's money, note well, but the taxpayer's.

What annoyed my colleagues and I was that WE were training counsellors and our students were paying fees to train, only to find that the potential jobs were 'filled' by practice nurses with perhaps a week's training. These students were spending a total of 4 years part-time - to qualify, and paying quite a bit to do so. So they were deprived of a livelihood they had trained for and paid for, because GPs obviously thought it was a pushover job which could be done by any nurse.

The upshot to all our complaints was that NOW, no one is allowed to counsel in the NHS without the required quals. - since April 1997 - except that... THOSE WHO WERE ALREADY WORKING IN THE NHS AS COUNSELLORS WERE ALLOWED TO REMAIN, even tho' they were not 'trained up'. :huh:

Just thought some of you might like to know that, if you ever need to go to see a therapist in the NHS. <_<

My point in this little 'detour' offtopic is that :

Where there is no accountability and no checks made, people in positions of trust and responsibility will take advantage of the licence granted to them.

GPs have worked the system to their advantage but Nulabour were happy with this because they could claim targets were being met and, despite the large amounts of money going to the GPs, the targets were being met cheaply.

Much cheaper to train a GP in ultrasound in a weekend and then pay him to do the scans than send patients to the local hospital to see people like me with 25 years scanning experience. After all a scan is a scan according to the targets. Same with your therapists.

The moral is that if you make money freely available and turn a blind eye to how it is used it's not long before people become corrupted and greedy.

Mussolini, his missus and some of his fascist henchmen meet their maker

mussolini.jpg

Wouldn't rattle me at all to see Bliar, Broon, Hoon, Harman, Blears, Beckett, Milliband x 2, Balls, Mandelson et all share a similar fate.

All these politicians are shamelessly corrupt, but they are not all from the Laboor party mind you... but to hope that they end uplike this is really sickening. I think it's fair to say that they should lose their jobs, repay all the money and rot in jail.

But you and others here advocate capital punishment (!), so I wonder how many far right wing selfish wackos are here on HPC?

You also confuse socialism and nazism, see my link below:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...t&p=1874556

criteria.

on the electoral register within the relevant parish or town council.

Which part do you have trouble understanding, TP?