Mps' Expenses Scandal -

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
So someone claiming £400,000 in legitimate expenses.........

You have got to be kidding if you really believe that any MP can ethically & morally claim 400k in legitimate expenses. :o

Edited by OLDFTB

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Depends what they claimed for and for how long a period.

I think you need to address the point that your comparisons are bent.

But his point doesn't depend on whether or not the expenses were 'genuine'. MPs have been treating the expenses system as part of their compensation package and this list tells us which MPs are the most expensive for the taxpayer.

HOLA447
HOLA448

15286552.jpg

MPs' expenses: cover-up of Ian Gibson and his daughter’s cut-price flat deal

Ian Gibson, a senior Labour MP, is preparing to stand down after he admitted using his parliamentary expenses to pay for

his daughter’s London home — before selling it to her for half its market value.

Mr Gibson faces accusations of a cover-up after The Daily Telegraph found he spent almost £80,000 of taxpayers’ money on a

west London flat that his daughter, Helen, shared with her boyfriend.

The Norwich MP had designated it as his second home and successfully claimed for the mortgage interest, council tax and utility bills.

But on Thursday night he conceded that he spent only three nights a week there while his daughter used it as her main residence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-flat-deal.html

Possibly he was trying to protect his daughter from the costs of housing, utility bills and council tax which became so unaffordable?

HOLA449
gordon_brown.jpg

At least the other crooks in Parliament are actually ashamed and embarrassed about getting caught and try and run away from the media like naughty children, this guy is right off the scale, he's so corrupt and patronising of the general public he's oblivious to the truth. In many ways you have to admire his stupidity, I wonder how many other MP's will out themselves in such a supercilious fashion?

He's not that bad, seriously.

HOLA4410
Good bit of partisan Labour bashing. And a complete load of bolllox.

It takes no account of whether the expenses were genuine or not. So someone claiming £400,000 in legitimate expenses is worse than someone fraudulently claiming £390,000 to have a non-existent Rolls Royce cleaned. :rolleyes:

If these were genuine, I think statistically you'd see more of a 50:50 mix of Tory:Labour.

The fact that Labour trounces the other parties does look very suspicious. There is just no comparison.

I think this should be looked into. There are MPs with similar jobs, living similar distances, yet their expense claims are very different.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Good bit of partisan Labour bashing. And a complete load of bolllox.

It takes no account of whether the expenses were genuine or not. So someone claiming £400,000 in legitimate expenses is worse than someone fraudulently claiming £390,000 to have a non-existent Rolls Royce cleaned. :rolleyes:

Why are Labour MPs so expensive?

These people are despicable - absolutely no way these costs can be justified. How can they possibly claim to understand what life is like for most of the public when they don't have to pay for anything?

Brown is like a ******ing rabbit caught in headlights, absolutely powerless because he knows every one of his corrupt cabinet members has enough shit on him to sink the government.

WHEN WILL THIS SHOWER OF SHIT TAKE A HINT AND HOLD AN ELECTION?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I would suggest the following course of action at the next election:

1. do not vote for an extreme party, even in protest.

2. do not, not vote

3. find out what your local MP's expenses were

4. Make a judgement as to whether they were ethically justified

5. If not, vote for one of the other top two parties.

6. If so, re-elect your MP.

The only proviso I would add is: even if your local MP has been 'above board' it is still worth questionning how vocal they were about the system. You see; MP's are dimwits. They haven't all thought up these scams individually. They have been whispered to each other in the bars of parliament. All MP's knew the score. Even those who were 'sqeaky clean' had an obligation to 'spill the beans'. And so; it may be justifiable to expel even a low expense claiming MP.

HOLA4419

"Mrs Main, the MP for St Albans, has claimed a 10 per cent second home discount on her council tax for the apartment in her constituency even though her 27-year-old daughter, Claire Tonks, has lived there for up to three years.

This discount can only be claimed if no one lives at the property full-time.

Mrs Main’s principal home is a large detached house in Beaconsfield, Bucks, 25 miles from St Albans. The house is roughly six miles further from Westminster than the St Albans flat. Mrs Main has no regular accommodation in the capital."

HOLA4420

These ars*holes would justify their actions by telling each other that theft is only wrong if you get caught.

:lol: whooops - Old Pr1ck :rolleyes:

Anthony Steen, the Tory MP forced to stand down over his expenses, has suggested people were "jealous" because he lived in a house that resembled Royal residence Balmoral.

HOLA4421
Depends what they claimed for and for how long a period.

I think you need to address the point that your comparisons are bent.

As the list says it's from 2005 to 2008. If you think it's physically possible to legitimately claim £100,000 per year in expenses then you are either deluded or the worst kind of labour sympathizer. They are parasites on the take and I don't see how anyone can justify a vote for them next week. I hope the polls are a labour blood bath.

HOLA4422
Guest AuntJess
15286552.jpg

MPs' expenses: cover-up of Ian Gibson and his daughter's cut-price flat deal

Ian Gibson, a senior Labour MP, is preparing to stand down after he admitted using his parliamentary expenses to pay for

his daughter's London home — before selling it to her for half its market value.

Mr Gibson faces accusations of a cover-up after The Daily Telegraph found he spent almost £80,000 of taxpayers' money on a

west London flat that his daughter, Helen, shared with her boyfriend.

The Norwich MP had designated it as his second home and successfully claimed for the mortgage interest, council tax and utility bills.

But on Thursday night he conceded that he spent only three nights a week there while his daughter used it as her main residence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-flat-deal.html

Possibly he was trying to protect his daughter from the costs of housing, utility bills and council tax which became so unaffordable?

Whilst I can applaud his paternal inclinations, I deplore him doing it at someone else's expense. If had stolen from the bank - where I worked in my teens - to buy my Dad a better car than his old banger, what kind of outcome would that have had - for me? :unsure:

HOLA4423
Guest AuntJess
"Sir Paul Beresford, a Conservative MP who works up to three days a week as a dentist, designated his west London property, which includes his surgery, as his second home on his parliamentary allowances."

Checky sod, double extraction. :angry:

Being an MP must be a bluddy doddle! when I worked as a teacher, I did a 60 hour week - at least. I barely had time to keep myself clean! What's all this with the second jobs malarky? :angry:

If they work part-time...their pay must be part-time - Simple. ^_^

HOLA4424

I notice the piggies are fighting back on the Toady programme this morning. We seem to have had a whole hour and a half (since I turned on) of piggies coming on to trot out a stream of reasons as to why their claims are justified and why we should stop being so beastly to them. Only Tebbitt seemed to run even slightlycounter to this theme of the day. The pwesenters certainly didnt.

HOLA4425
Being an MP must be a bluddy doddle! when I worked as a teacher, I did a 60 hour week - at least. I barely had time to keep myself clean! What's all this with the second jobs malarky? :angry:

If they work part-time...their pay must be part-time - Simple. ^_^

MPs even get half-term holidays to go with their extended full-term holidays. No wonder they are so out of touch with the real world - they haven't a clue what it is like for working parents of school-age children who have to make care arrangements during half-term holidays. Why should MPs get these extended holidays? I know they bleat on about constituency work, but since they only sit at Westminster for three days - Mon to Wed - they already have Thurs and Fri for consituency work.