House Price Crash Forum

"uk Is Finished" Said Jim Rogers

HOLA441

"I would urge you to sell any sterling you might have," said Rogers.

"Sell any sterling you have. It's finished," said Jim Rogers.

"It's finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK," Rogers said.Jan 19, 2009 Bloomberg (5 occurrences)

Jim Rogers, chairman of Singapore-based Rogers Holdings, said the "UK is finished" and investors should sell the currency.

However, a quite by Jim Rogers read Start buying when others say 'never again'," Rogers, 65, said today at an investor conference in Nanjing.Jun 28, 2008 Business Standard (5 occurrences)

The end of this crisis "is a long way away," Rogers said. "In fact, it may not be in our lifetimes."Aug 18, 2008 Money Morning (7 occurrences)

Here are some combination of quotes by Jim Rogers, and please do not take exception to or offended by my inclusion of them into this topic. These quotes are incoporated in this forum in order that we can have an open discussion and an exchange of views on them.

As this forum is located in the UK, I would be very interested to see what the people in the UK made of the strong views by Jim Rogers on the UK.

Edited by kwanstockmarket

HOLA442

"It's finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK," Rogers said.

Jim Rogers, chairman of Singapore-based Rogers Holdings, said the "UK is finished" and investors should sell the currency.

WHat do you make of that?

Yeah f*ck you as well Jim.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Why are you digging up this old, old news? Don't bother, I'm not interested in a reply.

What I am interested in is -why do you have a disclaimer at the bottom of your windows?

Are you trying to sell us something?

Touting for business?

Thank you for your comment.

The reason I am incooperating this piece of news into the forum is that I believe that it is probably worth revisiting what Jim Roger says, given the recent development of the UK economy. Jim Roger as we all probably know, is a successful investers who made billions over the years. He along with George Soros predicts the Oil prices falling from 150, they forecasted when the credit crunch would begin and so on.

To begin with, let us examine what happens to sterling: Sterling now has risen to over 1.50 from its lowest 1.38 in January. So clearly sterling has retained its value depsite the comments from Jim Rogers.

I am aware that the inclusion of some of the comments Jim Rogers into this forum may probably be offensive to some of you, but it would be greatly appreciated if the person reading this topic understand that they are purely for discussion purpuses.

HOLA445
Guest Winnie
Thank you for your comment.

The reason I am incooperating this piece of news into the forum is that I believe that it is probably worth revisiting what Jim Roger says, given the recent development of the UK economy. Jim Roger as we all probably know, is a successful investers who made billions over the years. He along with George Soros predicts the Oil prices falling from 150, they forecasted when the credit crunch would begin and so on.

To begin with, let us examine what happens to sterling: Sterling now has risen to over 1.50 from its lowest 1.38 in January. So clearly sterling has retained its value depsite the comments from Jim Rogers.

I am aware that the inclusion of some of the comments Jim Rogers into this forum may probably be offensive to some of you, but it would be greatly appreciated if the person reading this topic understand that they are purely for discussion purpuses.

I think I am now finally convinced you are a spoof! Great joke whilst it lasted but if by any chance you are for real, you need to get some basic lessons in economics before starting any more mindless threads here again.

The pound has risen in line with the market rally - and that alone. It is tied to risk taking and will plunge again as soon as this false rally peters out. We will probably have a gilt sale default again soon and the possibility of begging for an IMF bailout is very real. The pound's ultimate resistance is 1.53 and experinced fx traders see it below 1.30 in the next few months again and even lower if we go to the IMF.

HOLA446

since everyone seems to be so well informed here..

anyone have info in FX swaps held by UK govt? either GBPUSD or EURGBP

i think normally (??big q??) they write 3M swaps based on interest rate targets..?

is the recovery/bounce (back to 1.50) due to inflation, therefore interest rate expectations?

HOLA447
I think I am now finally convinced you are a spoof! Great joke whilst it lasted but if by any chance you are for real, you need to get some basic lessons in economics before starting any more mindless threads here again.

The pound has risen in line with the market rally - and that alone. It is tied to risk taking and will plunge again as soon as this false rally peters out. We will probably have a gilt sale default again soon and the possibility of begging for an IMF bailout is very real. The pound's ultimate resistance is 1.53 and experinced fx traders see it below 1.30 in the next few months again and even lower if we go to the IMF.

I do not appreciate your comments. I do believe that everyone here is entitled to say what they think in an objective manner , but not by making personal references to others and their ability.

Again, I am looking forward to hearing from people who have various ideas about the topic here.

HOLA448

Successful forecaster... people remember when he's right but you forget the other 90%+ of the time he (and everyone else) is wrong.

I suspect that sterling isn't finished - or if it is, it is as finished as many other major currencies...

HOLA449

Interesting, have you seen any analysis that back up this veiw?

HOLA4410

Despite having accumulated massive national debt, the UK shows strong willingness in rescuing the parts of the financial sector not just in Great Britain, but beyond the world that are in trouble. We have seen on the news when Lehman Brother Collapsed, the shares prices around the world was tumbling, Gordon Brown is one of the very few leaders round the world and initiate coordinated efforts to intervene on a global scale. Gordon Brown also in the G20 summits further agreed upon measures to help the countries in deep financial trouble. England also followed the examples of the USA and became one of the first country in the world to embark on quantative easing, and it was seen as radical by the ECB and they thus delay adopting similar measures taken in the UK.

The point I am trying to make here is that when the crisis happens, it is happening on a global scale never seen before and therefore needs to be tackled globally. The Uk clearly has done more than many other leading industrialised countries in this regard. It can be argued that they are perhaps one step ahead of many major industrialised countries affected by the current financial crisis in terms of the timing in solving the crisis, and the scale and magnitude of measures needed in response to the financial crisis of such massive scale never seen before, and their willingness to coordinate government efforts around the world and respond to the crisis on an international scale.

Since the UK government has got that far, they are now clear willing to do whatever it takes to solve the current crisis, now with further agreement reached around the world in terms of coordinating government finance, the UK therefore will therefore probably hardly run out of money when they need it.

Therefore, sterling is currently undervalued and it is foreseeable that sterling will rise beyond 1.60 US dollar and possibly to 1.8 US dollar at least in the short run.

Does anyone agree with me?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Can't anyone help Kwan with his homework? This A-Level coursework does have deadlines you know.

I would like to help, but I'm more a fan of Jim's brother Kenny.

But if you think a discussion about the life, works and influences of Kenny Rogers would be helpful Kwan, just say so.

I would be delighted to fill you in.

HOLA4416

"It's finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK," Rogers said.Jan 19, 2009 Bloomberg (5 occurrences)

However, a quite by Jim Rogers read Start buying when others say 'never again'," Rogers, 65, said today at an investor conference in Nanjing.Jun 28, 2008 Business Standard (5 occurrences)

The end of this crisis "is a long way away," Rogers said. "In fact, it may not be in our lifetimes."Aug 18, 2008 Money Morning (7 occurrences)

Here are some combination of quotes by Jim Rogers, and please do not take exception to or offended by my inclusion of them into this topic. These quotes are incoporated in this forum in order that we can have an open discussion and an exchange of views on them.

As this forum is located in the UK, I would be very interested to see what the people in the UK made of the strong views by Jim Rogers on the UK.

By implication, Rogers has been short sterling (since Jan). Result? He has been mawled. He is a self-serving guy and as much an expert as you and me. Seem fair or am I missing something?

HOLA4417
Despite having accumulated massive national debt, the UK shows strong willingness in rescuing the parts of the financial sector not just in Great Britain, but beyond the world that are in trouble. We have seen on the news when Lehman Brother Collapsed, the shares prices around the world was tumbling, Gordon Brown is one of the very few leaders round the world and initiate coordinated efforts to intervene on a global scale. Gordon Brown also in the G20 summits further agreed upon measures to help the countries in deep financial trouble. England also followed the examples of the USA and became one of the first country in the world to embark on quantative easing, and it was seen as radical by the ECB and they thus delay adopting similar measures taken in the UK.

The point I am trying to make here is that when the crisis happens, it is happening on a global scale never seen before and therefore needs to be tackled globally. The Uk clearly has done more than many other leading industrialised countries in this regard. It can be argued that they are perhaps one step ahead of many major industrialised countries affected by the current financial crisis in terms of the timing in solving the crisis, and the scale and magnitude of measures needed in response to the financial crisis of such massive scale never seen before, and their willingness to coordinate government efforts around the world and respond to the crisis on an international scale.

Since the UK government has got that far, they are now clear willing to do whatever it takes to solve the current crisis, now with further agreement reached around the world in terms of coordinating government finance, the UK therefore will therefore probably hardly run out of money when they need it.

Therefore, sterling is currently undervalued and it is foreseeable that sterling will rise beyond 1.60 US dollar and possibly to 1.8 US dollar at least in the short run.

HOLA4418

Who knows

Anything could happen perhaps doing the most puts us most down the toilet.

Maybe the good thing will be that as we are the most likely to get the rug pulled out from under us by our creditors we may have to raise rates sooner and this will cause the rally in the £.

Scary times.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Recent movement in Sterling verse US DOllar is really gainning momentum, when I predicted that, the Pound was only $1.46 verse the Dollar, now it is $1.57.

I think we are going to see pound to $1.8 US dollar probably this 2 months or so.

Date of forecast: 5/20/09

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Looks like sterlings is now facing massive resistance after it hits 1.66 and beyond.

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong end of the see-saw.

No-one's interested in what Rogers has to say. If you followed his advice you'd have sold right at the bottom. Ignore him. Ignore anyone who wears a bow-tie and tries to sell you investment advice. Especially if they're American. Seriously, nobody cares.