House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stargold

Ebay Gold Premiums - Back To Sanity

I notice that the premiums being fetched for gold coins and bars on ebay (see http://bullionsupermarket.com ) appears to be returning to some degree of sanity following the crazy premiums we were seeing in the past.

I am wondering if this is down to some of the people who bought "at any price" when financial armagedon seemed likely are now selling back as the perceived risk receeds. Ironic really as I feel that looking forward, the inflation driver will probably take over and push PMs higher.

Ebay is now looking to me like a viable market to buy gold coins again.

Just after some insights...

I notice that the premiums being fetched for gold coins and bars on ebay (see http://bullionsupermarket.com ) appears to be returning to some degree of sanity following the crazy premiums we were seeing in the past.

I am wondering if this is down to some of the people who bought "at any price" when financial armagedon seemed likely are now selling back as the perceived risk receeds. Ironic really as I feel that looking forward, the inflation driver will probably take over and push PMs higher.

I noticed this too. There was such demand that bidders were paying a bid or more above dealer prices as they wanted to win the auction, and pay with credit card via paypal who some times offered 10% off vouchers which increased the bids further. This falling back of demand suggests that people anticipate coming falls in gold price? There maybe a coming glut of gold on ebay, unless there is some more bad news or gold goes back up.

I noticed this too. There was such demand that bidders were paying a bid or more above dealer prices as they wanted to win the auction, and pay with credit card via paypal who some times offered 10% off vouchers which increased the bids further. This falling back of demand suggests that people anticipate coming falls in gold price? There maybe a coming glut of gold on ebay, unless there is some more bad news or gold goes back up.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, been lurking on HPC a long time and only just noticed this thread, my girlfriend and I have just listed 112g of 9ct scrap gold on ebay, pls could ayone give me a rough guess as to what it is worth?

Ace

Easy enough to work out: take the spot price of gold, work out what that would be for 112g of pure gold & multiply by the fraction of gold in a 9ct piece. Chuck in a safety factor (people are unlikely to overpay for scrap gold?) and there you go.

For your lot: spot price today is about £597 (from BullionVault) per troy ounce. 112g is 3.60 troy ounces (just put "112g in troy oz" into google), so that's 3.60 * 597 = £2150 to 3 significant figures. 9ct gold is 9/24 gold content, so that's 9/24 * £2150 which is £806

Easy enough to work out: take the spot price of gold, work out what that would be for 112g of pure gold & multiply by the fraction of gold in a 9ct piece. Chuck in a safety factor (people are unlikely to overpay for scrap gold?) and there you go.

For your lot: spot price today is about ?597 (from BullionVault) per troy ounce. 112g is 3.60 troy ounces (just put "112g in troy oz" into google), so that's 3.60 * 597 = ?2150 to 3 significant figures. 9ct gold is 9/24 gold content, so that's 9/24 * ?2150 which is ?806

Cheers Pharm, I'll let you know what it reaches on fleabay saturday night.

Ace

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, been lurking on HPC a long time and only just noticed this thread, my girlfriend and I have just listed 112g of 9ct scrap gold on ebay, pls could ayone give me a rough guess as to what it is worth?

Ace

Have look at Hatton Garden Metals site. They update their price daily. I've sold to them and have had funds in my account the day it arrived. Selling on ebay is too expensive.

Ace

These sites will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://hattongardenmetals.com/Best_Scrap_G...rices_Paid.aspx

http://www.cashforyourgold.co.uk/

The following two links will show you just how silly fleecebay prices are, and why you should avoid buying there.

A 1kg Baird bar is a 1kg Baird bar, no matter what the price. I don't use fleecebay, but if I did, it would be to sell, not buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FINE-GOLD-ONE-KILO-999...%3A1%7C294%3A50

http://www.goldline.co.uk/investmentBarsPa...mp;goldBarIdx=9

Edited by DiggerUK

Maybe the Crimewatch story of the chap who had his stash of Kruggerands stolen off him at gunpoint has put people off buying gold on ebay.

All one has to do is advertise a gold coin (you don't even need to have one), wait until a punter wins the auction, check his previous purchases on his feedback to see whether he has a few coins and then go round to his house and threaten to cut off his childrens fingers unless he hands them over.

I would strongly recommend making feedback private for anyone using ebay