House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441

I know. We've asked to renew but are waiting for a response. Section 21 served at the start so don't want to risk going on a rolling tenancy at the moment. Don't want to pay a little bit more, certainly not going to pay a lot more. Would probably move toward Timperley/Broadheath if forced now. What I'm paying is my absolute limit and we've gotten used to 3 bedrooms.

Although whilst looking for something to put in a thread on the main forum, I came across this, this evening:

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

I don't know that "no man's land" area at all but I thought, I could happily live there AND I could happily afford it. Can someone remind me why am I on here again?

is that ex-local authority? Looks a bit like it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I do see though that rental prices in Hale and WIlmslow are going up.

Hell-******ing-yeah!

And if last year is anything to go by, local rental supply is at its greatest now and there'll be even fewer around in March when I need something.

is that ex-local authority? Looks a bit like it.

I've no idea, don't know that area. Not seriously looking to buy at the moment although next year if this is what we can afford, this may be the sort of thing we pick.

HOLA443

Although, I did see a rental in WIlmslow the other day. 3 beds, conny, £1100. The spiv tried to tell me that they'd had an offfer that morning for it as I entered the place.

When we left I said it was way overpriced and she said 'I think a grand a month would get it'. That's heartening, as by that I heard '£900 would also get it'

I've since been approved for a mortage with my wife and am therefor in a quandry. I think this year will genuinely screw house prices down.

One thing I do know - Hale can absolutely f**k off. The people are comedy gold and the falseness has really become apparant over the past 4 years. Not to mention the carte blanche fact their houses are no longer worth what they think!

Property seems to be pouring onto the (sales) market at a rate of knots and some of it even seems to be going under offer which is frightening - quarter mill 2 bedders etc and we're being sounded out about viewings for sale already, only been days on the market. <shrugs>

It looks like we got a rental bargain last year, not looking so good this year and the wife has taken it badly. For all the false twats about we live on a really nice terraced street and neighbours on both sides are long term owners and have been very welcoming and helpful, couldn't have asked for more.

HOLA444

Property seems to be pouring onto the (sales) market at a rate of knots and some of it even seems to be going under offer which is frightening - quarter mill 2 bedders etc and we're being sounded out about viewings for sale already, only been days on the market. <shrugs>

It looks like we got a rental bargain last year, not looking so good this year and the wife has taken it badly. For all the false twats about we live on a really nice terraced street and neighbours on both sides are long term owners and have been very welcoming and helpful, couldn't have asked for more.

I'm not suprised at all by how this is playing out. I'd share my anecdotals but it's not what some people want to hear and it'll just end up with the usual denial of reality demand for imminent collapse. Been here before! and what happens is buyers turn up (for whatever reason) and the good houses sell at prices you think they shouldn't. You argue forever why that won't or shouldn't happen and it's very frustrating.

I agree with you about the bit in bold. Depends entirely on your circle of friends/acquaintances where you drink and so on. False twats in Rangeys and Guccis don't just exist in Hale or Wilmslow I'm sure.

HOLA445

I'm not suprised at all by how this is playing out. I'd share my anecdotals but it's not what some people want to hear and it'll just end up with the usual denial of reality demand for imminent collapse. Been here before! and what happens is buyers turn up (for whatever reason) and the good houses sell at prices you think they shouldn't. You argue forever why that won't or shouldn't happen and it's very frustrating.

I agree with you about the bit in bold. Depends entirely on your circle of friends/acquaintances where you drink and so on. False twats in Rangeys and Guccis don't just exist in Hale or Wilmslow I'm sure.

Love to hear 'em; heres mine -

House on the market for 5 years, yes 5 years.

Started off at £420k sold recently for £270k.

3 bedders in Alty asking ~200k, 3 bedders in Timperley asking £260k.

Agents either dont know what the fk is going on or are in total denial.

Another house in Timperley, needing total refurb, asking 220 house on same street, great condition, asking £205 - open to offers.

Sellers and agents think its 2005. :lol:

Lot of jobs about to be lost so a major shock is coming.

Know plenty of people just about keeping heads above water; talk of the town is the VAT hike and the increase in costs.

People are dreading even minor rate rises.

Been to view a few houses recently, just to get a feel for the game.

Every house I've been to has 'had an offer'...... that spiel is getting really, really old at this stage.

Dole queues await these guys if they dont shape up - and this time its for real.

The Tories are in now and the market rules.

HOLA446

Love to hear 'em; heres mine -

House on the market for 5 years, yes 5 years.

Started off at £420k sold recently for £270k.

3 bedders in Alty asking ~200k, 3 bedders in Timperley asking £260k.

Agents either dont know what the fk is going on or are in total denial.

Another house in Timperley, needing total refurb, asking 220 house on same street, great condition, asking £205 - open to offers.

Sellers and agents think its 2005. :lol:

Lot of jobs about to be lost so a major shock is coming.

Know plenty of people just about keeping heads above water; talk of the town is the VAT hike and the increase in costs.

People are dreading even minor rate rises.

Been to view a few houses recently, just to get a feel for the game.

Every house I've been to has 'had an offer'...... that spiel is getting really, really old at this stage.

Dole queues await these guys if they dont shape up - and this time its for real.

The Tories are in now and the market rules.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. There's a world of difference from the fantasy of sellers/EAs and the realities of the market.

I know of three people trying to sell at the moment. They've been "trying" to sell for over 2 years. Last year - maybe even just the last 6 months - has been about the only time they've realised that a sale is possible, but not at 2007 prices. These are all decent detached places, in good areas. Last one I spoke to at Christmas now believes the house will actually only achieve ~£600k, rather than the £850k it was on for, or the £775k they've just reduced it to.

By scanning the actual sold prices of houses across Hale/Alty/Timperley you get a much more realistic picture of what's going on. It's amazing to see the difference between the prices in EA windows and Rightmove and the actual sold data. I'm seeing 10-20% falls already from peak on some houses THAT HAVE SOLD - and I think that downward trend will only continue, this year and next (and probably for a few more years after that.)

Glad I stayed out of the market the last 3-4 years and rented cheaply. It's put me in the position of requiring no mortgage in order to purchase. And houses I once only dreamed of are now firmly within grasp. I couldn't have said that 3-4 years ago. Still, I'll be holding fire for at least another couple of years as the downward spiral continues.

Of course, others may feel free to differ. But hey, it's their cash. :)

EDIT: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.htm?property=932108240

And these aren't even fetching that lower price now. And they weren't last year either.

And (lots of these if you look): http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.htm?property=1520699322

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA447
HOLA448

Surely not with beauties like this on the market: http://www.rightmove...y-31584116.html

From looks alone, I'd say it's "worth" about £130k :)

Love the the bit in the text about a "sought after area of Hale". Checking the map, it's anything but a "sought after" part of hale.

Bit stunned by this one, TBH. Still, should be a nice bit of comedy to watch over the coming years it's on the market...

The build is a bit rough looking. Sort of 70s style? From the interior I'd guess the sellers are in their 60s. It's a big house though if it's the one I think it is, on Bing Maps, when clicking on Birds Eye which sort of gives an angled overview you can rotate. Not able to give precise link onto the house itself. Directly behind the house with the swimming pool.

If I were after a big home then the looks wouldn't particularly bother me if structurally sound, good layout, and could get it at a really good price. I'd go for a smaller version of that provided could get it at a really low price, but don't want anything that large, or as secluded. I'm not sure which shocks me most. That ugly but large house, with an asking price £630K, or the Meadow Close one at asking price of £195K. They both need some hard crash action.

HOLA449
If I were after a big home then the looks wouldn't particularly bother me if structurally sound, good layout, and could get it at a really good price. I'd go for a smaller version of that provided could get it at a really low price, but don't want anything that large, or as secluded. I'm not sure which shocks me most. That ugly but large house, with an asking price £630K, or the Meadow Close one at asking price of £195K. They both need some hard crash action.

Yep, we are on the same page.

It's suprising how many EAs seem to be listing properties now with the tagline: "We envisage the purchasers will spend around 200-400k..." and then still overpricng by a mile. Still, this stuff never sells. A few years ago it was, to wanna-be property developers, but that market has long since died (no money in it.) I've long since given up on EA prices, TBH, as these are just pure fantasy. Spoke to someone yesterday who believed their own property was worth £500k, tops, as it needs quite a bit of work. EA had valued it at £600k; strange, when there are already two fully re-developed properties in excellent condition on the same street for "Offers around £625k"...

Guess EAs/Sellers are just hoping to grab the last few fools. Mind you, don't think the Banks would lend on this stuff anyhow, unless it was being realistically priced with the true renovation costs in mind...

It's going to be an interesting year for sure this year. :)

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4410
Still, I'll be holding fire for at least another couple of years as the downward spiral continues.

Same here. It should be an interesting year, in that I'm hoping to see more people trying to sell, but I'm braced for a year of loud creaking and not allowing myself to get overly hopeful about asking prices falling back that much this year.

Feel Daiking's frustration at having to find a new place to move on to, and possibly a short phase of firming prices on rents, with his landlord putting the house on the market.

In case you missed it, yesterday someone in the main forum posted this Roy Keene Hale house sale story.

A different Hale Barns story property story from yesterday's Daily Mail. She thinks an 'entrepreneur' will buy it? It's currently the most expensive house for sale on rightmove in Hale Barns.

http://www.dailymail...ing-cinema.html

HOLA4411

Same here. It should be an interesting year, in that I'm hoping to see more people trying to sell, but I'm braced for a year of loud creaking and not allowing myself to get overly hopeful about asking prices falling back that much this year.

Feel Daiking's frustration at having to find a new place to move on to, and possibly a short phase of firming prices on rents, with his landlord putting the house on the market.

In case you missed it, yesterday someone in the main forum posted this Roy Keene Hale house sale story.

A different Hale Barns story property story from yesterday's Daily Mail. She thinks an 'entrepreneur' will buy it? It's currently the most expensive house for sale on rightmove in Hale Barns.

http://www.dailymail...ing-cinema.html

Indeed, a frustatration borne of the market doing eff all rather than having to move as such.

I'm keeping my powder dry for the foreseeable future.

And not that I could afford anything near this but what's the thought on pricing of this? I'm think pure comedy genius but I'm concerned that this is fair market value.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31021721.html

Edited by daiking

HOLA4412

Any of you Sale/Timp/Alty/Hale people want to comment on this thread -

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=158453

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about

This house went under offer, then withdrawn - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16274304.html

No listing for any sale - http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=RAVEN+ROAD&locality=TIMPERLEY&town=ALTRINCHAM&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=WA15&incode=6AP

Have been to see 6 properties recently and 3 have been removed from the market almost immediately.

No offers were made by us, just viewings.

Any ideas?

HOLA4413
And not that I could afford anything near this but what's the thought on pricing of this? I'm think pure comedy genius but I'm concerned that this is fair market value.

http://www.rightmove...y-31021721.html

Well that's number 6, a semi-detached, with them asking £565,000. It's a big semi. That is the sort of house I'm after, but not at anything like that price. If not in Hale then elsewhere.

Just a little way down the road, there were sales for two detached houses in time not long past. Both are detached houses of a similar build style to the semi, number 6. Both the detached houses have a bay window at the front, and unusually, the side of each house. I like those sort of bays.

Number 22 sold for £360,000 on 11th July 2007.

Number 20 sold for £375,000 on 18th July 2008.

nethouseprices

Streetview link

Maybe a downside to number 22 being it's next to what appears to be a small school sports field, so maybe kids and slightly noise at times. There is a high fence separating the field between the house. Looks to be a huge accommodation extension to the rear of number 22, if you take streetview down the Stanway drive to see the rear. Or look from the satellite overview. I'd suspect the extension was built after it sold in 2007. The new owners probably fitted the awful modern pine wood doors on the front of the house. So £360,000 for number 22 July 2007, before Northern Rock's problems or just about the same time, and possibly without the extension.

Both are opposite commercial premises and very close to the Junior School, with whatever problems that might cause such as peak traffic and noise. So my view is number 6 a little way up the road is very over priced at £565,000 .

HOLA4414

Well that's number 6, a semi-detached, with them asking £565,000. It's a big semi. That is the sort of house I'm after, but not at anything like that price. If not in Hale then elsewhere.

Just a little way down the road, there were sales for two detached houses in time not long past. Both are detached houses of a similar build style to the semi, number 6. Both the detached houses have a bay window at the front, and unusually, the side of each house. I like those sort of bays.

Number 22 sold for £360,000 on 11th July 2007.

Number 20 sold for £375,000 on 18th July 2008.

nethouseprices

Streetview link

Maybe a downside to number 22 being it's next to what appears to be a small school sports field, so maybe kids and slightly noise at times. There is a high fence separating the field between the house. Looks to be a huge accommodation extension to the rear of number 22, if you take streetview down the Stanway drive to see the rear. Or look from the satellite overview. I'd suspect the extension was built after it sold in 2007. The new owners probably fitted the awful modern pine wood doors on the front of the house. So £360,000 for number 22 July 2007, before Northern Rock's problems or just about the same time, and possibly without the extension.

Both are opposite commercial premises and very close to the Junior School, with whatever problems that might cause such as peak traffic and noise. So my view is number 6 a little way up the road is very over priced at £565,000 .

Much as I thought and there's some good observations if you don't know the area that well. The house literally next to the commercial premises (merlin architectural ironmongery) is listed as a 5-bedder for £575K: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28471483.html

******** to the house, I'd want a proper garden for that sort of money.

HOLA4415

Much as I thought and there's some good observations if you don't know the area that well. The house literally next to the commercial premises (merlin architectural ironmongery) is listed as a 5-bedder for £575K: http://www.rightmove...y-28471483.html

******** to the house, I'd want a proper garden for that sort of money.

Would personally have to rule it out because of all the steps to the front door. Only because I like some future proofing against certain possibilities. I come from a large family, and if our family home had lots of steps like that, we would have had to look at moving house quickly when the unexpected hit one of us. Thankfully our house was very much like that semi you linked to, with a single step into the porch. The joinery department of a young offenders institution made us a low profile long ramp in exchange for a small financial donation. £50 I think. It made for really easy wheelchair access, over the small step, into the front door. Rather than one of us struggling to help someone up or down a lot of steps. Dining room converted to a bedroom with bathroom facilities plumbed in, allowing us all to keep enjoying a family home we all loved and no expense incurred in having to move. No doubt I'm just over-cautious and that house fine for someone else. Still needs to crash hard in price though.

HOLA4416

Bit of fun now and local trivia.

A couple of times a week I see a young guy driving a black 60-plate MB G-wagon.

A G-wagon seems like a fairly hardcore and discretionary purchase to me. Not something I would do unless I had a lot and I mean a lot of money. Anyone recognise him? Football was was my initial thought on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417

Would personally have to rule it out because of all the steps to the front door. Only because I like some future proofing against certain possibilities. I come from a large family, and if our family home had lots of steps like that, we would have had to look at moving house quickly when the unexpected hit one of us. Thankfully our house was very much like that semi you linked to, with a single step into the porch. The joinery department of a young offenders institution made us a low profile long ramp in exchange for a small financial donation. £50 I think. It made for really easy wheelchair access, over the small step, into the front door. Rather than one of us struggling to help someone up or down a lot of steps. Dining room converted to a bedroom with bathroom facilities plumbed in, allowing us all to keep enjoying a family home we all loved and no expense incurred in having to move. No doubt I'm just over-cautious and that house fine for someone else. Still needs to crash hard in price though.

Now seen on the front page of the property section of one of the local free rags (the messenger, i tink). Photo makes it look like you get a hole house for over half a million but its only a semi :lol: While I'm at it, I'm keen to see what this sells for: http://www.mellerbraggins.com/admin/pdf_auction/pdf_20.pdf When I drove past I thought it was for the house but when I checked, it was just for the garages :lol:

Rental market is tougher than a hobo's bunions. Anything reasonably priced goes in hours, even on the wrong side of town. Anything on the market for a bit probably has a string of offers but the landlord wants full price. There is a funny one on Westgate. 3 bed terrace for sale for half a mill but also advertised to rent (not on RM :ph34r:). Rent dropped from from 1400 to 1000. Would blow my budget but seems like good value, although an awful yield for the owner, 2.4%!

Got money down on a house, fingers crossed it doesn't fall through as we'll struggle to beat it even paying asking price :blink:. My wife has not taken rejection well so she is determined that we will buy before next March. I can't see that happening round here unless we extort money from family members as we're a good 20% short of the 250K threshold that would make us serious buyers for all those houses stuck on the market in the 250-270 region. 20% reductions in the next 6 months? I don't think so.

HOLA4418

Now seen on the front page of the property section of one of the local free rags (the messenger, i tink). Photo makes it look like you get a hole house for over half a million but its only a semi :lol:

Hah, so yet another house we've been discussing on a thread in here that goes on to get a main feature in the local paper.

queensroadthumb1a.jpg

queensroadthumb1b.jpg

queensroadthumb1c.jpg

Sorry for the shaky shots but it's readable.

I googled what a G-Wagon was the day you posted. Merc beefy jeep thing. Then later than day saw a bronze coloured G-Wagon pass me in Bramhall but it had near fully blacked out side windows so couldn't see in. I've asked my younger brother to check with his Hale friends about the other G-Wagon but nothing back yet.

I'm still processing what you've said about your current situation, with renting options or buying, wife's patience being very tested, and the maths on your target price houses.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4419

Hah, so yet another house we've been discussing on a thread in here that goes on to get a main feature in the local paper.

Thanks for going to the trouble of photographing it, I never would have. What confused me initially was that the main story had nothing to do with the massive picture of a house which was described on page 2.

I know we should look elsewhere but my wife wants the proximity of village, town and tram to city within walking distance which puts us in a small area around the tree roads.

btw, I know the difference between whole and hole so how did that happen?

HOLA4420

Now seen on the front page of the property section of one of the local free rags (the messenger, i tink). Photo makes it look like you get a whole house for over half a million but its only a semi :lol: While I'm at it, I'm keen to see what this sells for: http://www.mellerbraggins.com/admin/pdf_auction/pdf_20.pdf When I drove past I thought it was for the house but when I checked, it was just for the garages :lol:

Rental market is tougher than a hobo's bunions. Anything reasonably priced goes in hours, even on the wrong side of town. Anything on the market for a bit probably has a string of offers but the landlord wants full price. There is a funny one on Westgate. 3 bed terrace for sale for half a mill but also advertised to rent (not on RM :ph34r:). Rent dropped from from 1400 to 1000. Would blow my budget but seems like good value, although an awful yield for the owner, 2.4%!

Got money down on a house, fingers crossed it doesn't fall through as we'll struggle to beat it even paying asking price :blink:. My wife has not taken rejection well so she is determined that we will buy before next March. I can't see that happening round here unless we extort money from family members as we're a good 20% short of the 250K threshold that would make us serious buyers for all those houses stuck on the market in the 250-270 region. 20% reductions in the next 6 months? I don't think so.

HOLA4421

Thanks for going to the trouble of photographing it, I never would have. What confused me initially was that the main story had nothing to do with the massive picture of a house which was described on page 2.

I know we should look elsewhere but my wife wants the proximity of village, town and tram to city within walking distance which puts us in a small area around the tree roads.

The story itself really annoys me. Estate Agents still pandering to try and manage sellers' expectations of selling upwards, at really high selling values.

They want new instructions, but encouraging sellers to think they can still get top end prices. Makes it harder to get them to consider cutting their asking prices to market conditions. The EA says they are happy to try and get new buyers the mortgages they require to buy at the prices sellers need. No thanks from me as a buyer for their help in getting a really big mortgage. Cheaper prices please.

• Using a professional estate agent like Park Lane to market your property is very important and when they find you that all-important buyer at the price you need
  • At Park Lane Estates they believe they are second to none when it comes to achieving the best price.

Hole v whole. I didn't notice when I quoted you. It's usually typing too fast, a slip of the key, or overly tired when I make such mistakes. As for your dilemma of renting or buying or moving outside of Hale, it's tough and I've no suggestions but feel for your circumstances. I've experienced so many awful arguments about our own housing situation which have left me feeling raw, and near fatal to our relationship, but I'm determined to hold out for what I still hope will be much lower house prices in time to come. The cost of that for us is a enduring a much less than ideal housing solution at the moment but one which saves us money.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4422

Have you looked at and considered other places with a 'village' and train station within walking distance instead?

Venger mentioned Bramhall; Cheadle Hulme fits those criteria too. Also train access to stockport and Wilmslow as well as Mcr. As an alternative to the Altrincham/Timperley/Sale tram line. I know which I'd prefer.........

HOLA4423

Have you looked at and considered other places with a 'village' and train station within walking distance instead?

Venger mentioned Bramhall; Cheadle Hulme fits those criteria too. Also train access to stockport and Wilmslow as well as Mcr. As an alternative to the Altrincham/Timperley/Sale tram line. I know which I'd prefer.........

We (as in the wife and I) have discussed this many times. If you think Altrincham town centre is a dump, Stockport? Bramhall is too far from the town centre, train or no train and Cheadle is too village. We do use the local amenities here, its not just postcode posturing. Also, I'm currently working in Cadishead having worked in Warrington in the recent past. What I know of trying to get toward Cheadle/Stockport at rush hour would not inspire me with confidence. The move east of where we are now would not be a good one for me.

HOLA4424

We (as in the wife and I) have discussed this many times. If you think Altrincham town centre is a dump, Stockport? Bramhall is too far from the town centre, train or no train and Cheadle is too village. We do use the local amenities here, its not just postcode posturing. Also, I'm currently working in Cadishead having worked in Warrington in the recent past. What I know of trying to get toward Cheadle/Stockport at rush hour would not inspire me with confidence. The move east of where we are now would not be a good one for me.

Ah ok.

Train time from Cheadle Hulme to Piccadilly is 19 mins and 23 from B/Hall. Quicker journey than Altrincham to Mcr. Not sure about Cadishead - I guess you'd jump on the M60 at Parrswood and off at Barton/trafford centre Jct 11 onto the A57. About 10 miles down Kingsway by car to Mcr. Not sure what you mean about it being too far from Town centre compared to Altrincham which is a nightmare down the Chester road into Mcr.

You'd get more choice for your money too.

Edited by Red Karma

HOLA4425

Ah ok.

Train time from Cheadle Hulme to Piccadilly is 19 mins and 23 from B/Hall. Quicker journey than Altrincham to Mcr...

Not sure what you mean about it being too far from Town centre compared to Altrincham which is a nightmare down the Chester road into Mcr.

Don't forget I'm focusing on walking not driving. At the moment, 10mins walk to the attractions of the village, 10 min walk to Altrincham with its facilities and smattering of chain stores and conveniently that 10 min walk also gets you to direct transport in Mcr. A few mins extra on the journey isn't a problem. Driving into Mcr is not something I regularly do.

I don't think it would be the same in the likes of Cheadle or Bramhall. Bramhall is a bit far from town (Stockport) and town is a bit of a dump and not exactly convenient. For example, ever had to walk from bus station to train station there? You don't seem like a bus person.

Not sure about Cadishead - I guess you'd jump on the M60 at Parrswood and off at Barton/trafford centre Jct 11 onto the A57. About 10 miles down Kingsway by car to Mcr. Not sure what you mean about it being too far from Town centre compared to Altrincham which is a nightmare down the Chester road into Mcr.

I do a few of these routes occassionally and they weren't exactly quick and easy.

You'd get more choice for your money too.

But at what cost? petrol, lost time, extra public transport, second car?