House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441

Getting like the London madness for cellar conversions/dig outs then. New owners probably paid a big premium for it, might not be covered on buildings insurance, then left trying to sue vanished or gone into liquidation cowboy firm. Ouch.

Having a cellar that only seems to be good for cultivating mould the appeal of getting it converted - which would probably require holes somewhere to get decent ventilation in - I can see the appeal.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Having a cellar that only seems to be good for cultivating mould the appeal of getting it converted - which would probably require holes somewhere to get decent ventilation in - I can see the appeal.

Has your cellar got enough head height already? would be easy enough to do. The problem with a lot of these 'conversions' in London is that they only have a crawling space or 3 foot deep subfloor to start with, they then dig out 7-8 foot deep, disturbing the foundations, then it all goes a bit wrong.

HOLA443

You are right. Very, very difficult to create a perfectly humidity-neutral environment.

Need the right balance of tanking, ventilation and heat. Probably heat recovery extract units unless you want huge utility bills. I have had cellars that seemed dry and habitable, but still cultivated dampness / mould in paper items, fabric, leather shoes etc

HOLA444

Has your cellar got enough head height already? would be easy enough to do. The problem with a lot of these 'conversions' in London is that they only have a crawling space or 3 foot deep subfloor to start with, they then dig out 7-8 foot deep, disturbing the foundations, then it all goes a bit wrong.

I'm 6'3" and don't need to stoop in it. It's odd in that it's only got a dirt floor but next door's is flagged, which makes me wonder if someone took up the floor to get a bit of extra height. One little recessed bit has a higher floor which supports that guess.

You are right. Very, very difficult to create a perfectly humidity-neutral environment.

Need the right balance of tanking, ventilation and heat. Probably heat recovery extract units unless you want huge utility bills. I have had cellars that seemed dry and habitable, but still cultivated dampness / mould in paper items, fabric, leather shoes etc

At present there's a fan in it, which is needed to stop the mould building up (even though it doesn't feel too damp usually). A lot of the problem is that the original entrance was steps down from what's now next door, rather crudely walled off, leaving only a trapdoor in the kitchen floor for access. How it ended up like that I'm not sure, the history of this place is something I've not managed to get to the bottom of yet. Where the steps were is still next door's although the cellar goes under that and the upstairs above. It's a bit odd. My theory is that they used to be one place, then half of my house was added as an extension and the whole lot split into two, but that was still a long time ago (i.e. probably 19th century).

Apparently next door's also has a (now unusable) fireplace in it and used to have a ramp down from outside so that horses could get in, but no entrance from the inside.

HOLA445

Not planning to post any more of these, at least not on this thread (so you can relax RK). They are very rare things anyway, for the area.

Is the address below = ? (I'm tired). Possibly a reason for selling? Could be something else entirely of course. For all I know it's a rental, or other owner/occupier selling up.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=50920999&sale=34540952&country=england

Edit; and pic 6.

Edited by Venger

HOLA446

Not planning to post any more of these, at least not on this thread (so you can relax RK). They are very rare things anyway, for the area.

Is the address below = ? (I'm tired). Possibly a reason for selling? Could be something else entirely of course. For all I know it's a rental, or other owner/occupier selling up.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=50920999&sale=34540952&country=england

Edit; and pic 6.

The hockey sign in the khazi seems to suggests it is the right one.

So many people sailing close to the edge and you never know until they fall off.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448

Errrrrrrrr - having lost my income because of rent/rates/parking issues (never mind the net) I can assure you that most current shopkeepers would agree with my views...........

Altrincham however deserves all the stick it gets.

Lets be quite clear here, I started commenting on "houses" not shops but if you insist we can carry on with shops.

Greed finished the shops in Altrincham. In my opinion it will be lucky not to end up like Whalley Range (which was "the" most desirable part of Greater Manchester in its day)

That is unless Landlords get real, rates are seriously lowered and all the parking restrictions are torn up. I have lived in/near Altrincham all my life. It used to be the only place I shopped now it is my last resort. I certainly would not dream of going out into Altrincham for a night out (not without a bodyguard anyhow)

Maybe we could carry this on in 10 years time (I believe that was your prediction) cool.gif

Just trying to find info on a house that was on the market back in 2013 (discussed on here) and stumbled across this beauty...Well, only 2.5 years into "my prediction" - lets see how I'm getting on...

Not that I'm one to gloat, but just wondering if "Bemusedmover" has been to Altrincham market hall on a Friday or Saturday night recently (and seen the ripple effect of success seeping out around it). What about Goose Green...? Tiki Bar is packed most weekends and still not seen / heard of any trouble yet. Perhaps seen any of the great little startup's appearing on the railway bridge over to Tesco. Had a coffee in the Little Deli Co, then seen a flyer for the Elk of Hale (paid for from the success of previous)?

Well I have done all of this...without a bodyguard... and lived to tell the tale that it was great! Roll on the next 7 1/2 years

HOLA449

Tiki bar tried to open in wilmslow 18 months ago but having got rid of the lap dancing bar on grove street the good residents of wilmslow decided a late license in the town centre was a further descent into the bowels of hades. we could do with something like the market hall here, but we end up with second rate chain restaurants and bars.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410

I still visit both Altrincham and Hale regularly (at least every 10 days)

Altrincham high street continues to depress - it is now almost entirely cheap poundshop or charity shop or 6month rent free occupiers,

....the evening life I cannot comment upon

The new shopping centre in Hale (HaleBarns) - looks great

.....................but still has empty units!

......................the house prices continue to astound!!!!!!!!

................so everything is completely OK now

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39317511.html

I can remember tracking the falls on asking price down from £300,000 where it started in what must have been 2010 before selling for £234,000 in 2012.

As I can see where I am now, £350,000 seems to be where agents are now trying to build a floor (flaw?) in prices. If it sticks I have a target for STR next spring :D

V, check out my neighbour who is currently on the market.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414

V, check out my neighbour who is currently on the market.

Somehow I missed your post 8itch.

Yes, thanks - I noticed a few days ago - (I don't RM search on Hale quite as often as I used to) - although I only just realised how close it is to your own home on the road.

Thanks for letting me in on that. I did think you got fair/good value when you bought, and everything going for it to make for a fine family home. Good value, especially compared to what some people have been paying in much lessor areas. Although had no idea of modernising costs etc.

Did pick up on suggestion, from some of your hpc posts, that you did much of the refurb yourself, and found it testing at times. Hopefully that stage is way past you now, and that you're all enjoying your home. When I think back to some of the run-ins you have had with BTLers in the past.... felt so angry and frustrated for you. Those times are over.

I really like you because you still hold to hpc 'fairness' views, against wider VI (BTLers etc). And because you're a senior professional who hasn't had anything handed to him, but all your achievements your own, doing best for your family. Think you're just joking about STR hehe. I'm still hopeful of finding some similar value when I come to buy, but nothing yet in any of the areas I track (doesn't really include Hale any more). Absolutely nothing... just very very high asking prices.

HOLA4415

Somehow I missed your post 8itch.

Yes, thanks - I noticed a few days ago - (I don't RM search on Hale quite as often as I used to) - although I only just realised how close it is to your own home on the road.

Thanks for letting me in on that. I did think you got fair/good value when you bought, and everything going for it to make for a fine family home. Good value, especially compared to what some people have been paying in much lessor areas. Although had no idea of modernising costs etc.

Did pick up on suggestion, from some of your hpc posts, that you did much of the refurb yourself, and found it testing at times. Hopefully that stage is way past you now, and that you're all enjoying your home. When I think back to some of the run-ins you have had with BTLers in the past.... felt so angry and frustrated for you. Those times are over.

I really like you because you still hold to hpc 'fairness' views, against wider VI (BTLers etc). And because you're a senior professional who hasn't had anything handed to him, but all your achievements your own, doing best for your family. Think you're just joking about STR hehe. I'm still hopeful of finding some similar value when I come to buy, but nothing yet in any of the areas I track (doesn't really include Hale any more). Absolutely nothing... just very very high asking prices.

Don't be fooled V, I've never claimed to be a professional yet but I do expect some of my work to be on the news in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully its not a ****** up.

Ditto the other thing, I've restricted myself to as little as possible and let the professionals ****** it all up. Like anyone directly involved in the housing industry, tradesmen are typically *****.

And I'm only half joking about STR but my neighbours (lack of) success suggests the lunacy is not that far gone yet. If it had, I would seriously need to consider it when the time comes.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

If it's a toss up between fracking and middle class *****ers giving us cancer, asthma and diabetes from their oh so trendy wood burning stoves,

I'll take fracking, any day.

My parent's new next door neighbour had a wood burner installed within weeks of moving in, it emerged that she's a green party candidate..no kidding.

HOLA4419

If it's a toss up between fracking and middle class *****ers giving us cancer, asthma and diabetes from their oh so trendy wood burning stoves,

I'll take fracking, any day.

Yeah, because burning firewood is such a trendy modern thing. For heaven's sake.

HOLA4420

Have anyone heard about the potential fracking in Altrincham? If so, what is your thought about it?

Theyll have the sites barricaded with Porsche Cayennes, Rangeys, Audi Q7s & Bez on the loud hailer & maraccas before Quadrilla can bliink.

game over.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

:lol: you would be the first to moan as air quality drops through the floor and we de-forest your precious countryside.

I'd blame it on far too many people. There isn't an issue there until you reach the point it's being cut down faster than it's being grown. Besides most of it is deforested.

It seems to be pissing you off more though, so there's a plus.

Anyway I burn coal most of the time.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425