House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

Speaking of which...

I remember this one hitting the market 18 months ago at £525k. Went unsold for 6 months, so finally hit the rental market for a while. Now back on at £485k:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...es%26index%3D40

Wouldn't be so bad for them, except someone then pitches one on a few doors away at £425k:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...es%26index%3D40

Can't say either of them are my cup-o-tea, but nice to see the fantasy price bubble deflating. :)

Stock of detached properties under £1 mill. in Hale now rapidly approaching 70 properties. It's been a very long time since I've seen that. Seems the £500-£1 mill. bracket is now undergoing it's death throws. Six more weeks to go before the end of the official "selling season." An interesting Winter awaits. :)

Nomadd

I think, to be fair to the first seller, that you have to point out that it's 'done' and the second cheaper one needs 60K spending on it and doesn't have an enormous conservatory on it.

I'd think the only differences would be the stamp duty (though I have no doubt you'll get the first one for under 500) and the fact if you have the patience and time, you can make the second into exactly your taste - but it will cost the same.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, to be fair to the first seller, that you have to point out that it's 'done' and the second cheaper one needs 60K spending on it and doesn't have an enormous conservatory on it.

I'd think the only differences would be the stamp duty (though I have no doubt you'll get the first one for under 500) and the fact if you have the patience and time, you can make the second into exactly your taste - but it will cost the same.

Both those houses are almost in Bowdon Vale - a long way from the fleshpots & other delights of Bowdon/Hale/Altrincham

Both those houses are almost in Bowdon Vale - a long way from the fleshpots & other delights of Bowdon/Hale/Altrincham

Yep, just taken a drive through the area this afternoon for the first time in a long time. It's a pretty souless, drab kind of estate; not very nice at all. I then cut back through the centre of Hale, and over through the much cheaper "Wellgreen Primary" estate in west Hale, and actually found that much nicer. Can't understand how they justify the - even reduced - prices they are asking.

Nomadd

Yep, just taken a drive through the area this afternoon for the first time in a long time. It's a pretty souless, drab kind of estate; not very nice at all. I then cut back through the centre of Hale, and over through the much cheaper "Wellgreen Primary" estate in west Hale, and actually found that much nicer. Can't understand how they justify the - even reduced - prices they are asking.

Nomadd

Decent house, decent location: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=986723362

£100k just chopped off.

Nomadd

• 1 month later...
Guest theboltonfury
Speaking to a mate of mine over the weekend who still lives in Hale...seems like old YWCA in Alty has now been converted into a bail hostel - nice!

Add in the number of Wythies now openly wandering around casing the joint in Hale/Bowdon/Alty and it seems like the place I grew up in has changed a little

I have certainly noticed this in Hale. Where you have a load of wealthy, insured footballers, you'll get Wythies.

Speaking to a mate of mine over the weekend who still lives in Hale...seems like old YWCA in Alty has now been converted into a bail hostel - nice!

Add in the number of Wythies now openly wandering around casing the joint in Hale/Bowdon/Alty and it seems like the place I grew up in has changed a little

It's only starting to have a marginal (:)) effect on house prices as yet: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=546694538

To quote the EA's own words (and use of CAPS): "DISCOUNT of £1,000,000 !"

Still, £1 mill. down, £2 mill. to go. Early days, yet. Early days. :)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd
I have certainly noticed this in Hale. Where you have a load of wealthy, insured footballers, you'll get Wythies.

Don't need to go as far as "Wiv-en-shaw". A short run up Thorley Lane and Shaftsbury Ave. gets you to Northern Moor. A beautiful area to have on your doorstep, as the "Duchess and The Estate" recently explained on TV. I'm sure the EA's in the surrounding areas have had a few crisis meetings over that one.

Still, as long as you can buy a house cheaply there who cares about being stabbed or shot:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...78%26index%3D10

£350k for a shoebox just of Wythenshawe Road. And it's not alone. Plenty of property around there now being conveniently listed as "Brooklands" or "Sale Moor" instead of "Northern Moor", which somehow justifies the £300k-400k asking prices. My how we will look back and laugh in a couple of years.

Nomadd

Guest theboltonfury
Don't need to go as far as "Wiv-en-shaw". A short run up Thorley Lane and Shaftsbury Ave. gets you to Northern Moor. A beautiful area to have on your doorstep, as the "Duchess and The Estate" recently explained on TV. I'm sure the EA's in the surrounding areas have had a few crisis meetings over that one.

Still, as long as you can buy a house cheaply there who cares about being stabbed or shot:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...78%26index%3D10

£350k for a shoebox just of Wythenshawe Road. And it's not alone. Plenty of property around there now being conveniently listed as "Brooklands" or "Sale Moor" instead of "Northern Moor", which somehow justifies the £300k-400k asking prices. My how we will look back and laugh in a couple of years.

Nomadd

Hale Barns, the country's most expensive council estate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hale Barns, the country's most expensive council estate.

Still, like Hale, Bowden and elsewhere, it's getting cheaper by the week:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19228981.html?displayPropertyType=houses&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&radius=0.25&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&pageNumber=4&premiumA=true&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FAltrincham.html%3FdisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26radius%3D0.25%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26index%3D30

To quote the agent:

DISCOUNT of £1,000,000 ! We challenge you to find better value at the top of the market than this fantastic family home, valued by several agents in 2008 at more than £4,000,000 and now on offer at £2,950,000 to reflect the seriousness of the vendor in selling the house this year.

Somehow, I don't think it will "sell by the end of the year." :)

Nomadd

• 3 weeks later...
Guest theboltonfury

Why do you say that?

Unjustified prices it may be, but council estate! that's a bit harsh.

I beg to differ. There are usually verminous kids hanging around the precinct of an evening and the co-op was recently robbed at gunpoint.

I can think of not one reason to live in Hale Barns. I could think of loads for Hale, Bowden and Alti.

Not really related, but I was walking home from Total Fitness gym last Saturday LUNCH time and 8 lads were having a brawl in the middle of Oxford Road next the Wetherspoons (including one in a wheelchair!). Traffic had to stop while they slugged it out... very strange indeed

• 2 weeks later...

Not really related, but I was walking home from Total Fitness gym last Saturday LUNCH time and 8 lads were having a brawl in the middle of Oxford Road next the Wetherspoons (including one in a wheelchair!). Traffic had to stop while they slugged it out... very strange indeed

Does any one know much about the hale barns square development and the likely impact on house prices in the area?

• 2 months later...
Guest theboltonfury

Does any one know much about the hale barns square development and the likely impact on house prices in the area?

Yes.

I am good mates with the owner om La Famiglia and it has been mothballed.

PS - the co - op armed robbed again last week. What an exclusive area!!

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions

Is the Stamford Park/Primary area classed as Altrincham or Hale?

Where should the young but not so young any more and certainly not so rich as to light cigars with tenners go to amuse themselves? (For reference, our Manchester faves include Croma/Room/Living Room (for dinner, we wouldn't get in if we tried to walk in off the street)/Mojo/Manc235/Rev (on the Locks) - I'm guessing there's no 42nd Street equivalent in Hale or Altrincham)

Its Altrincham. Anything north of Hale Road is Altrincham. Hale runs south easty from the junction of Ashley Road with Hale Road. Unless you're an estate agent or seller trying to overprice property near the boundary. Personally I think Hale is also only the bit south of Broomfield Lane. Hope that helps.

A few questions

Where should the young but not so young any more and certainly not so rich as to light cigars with tenners go to amuse themselves? (For reference, our Manchester faves include Croma/Room/Living Room (for dinner, we wouldn't get in if we tried to walk in off the street)/Mojo/Manc235/Rev (on the Locks) - I'm guessing there's no 42nd Street equivalent in Hale or Altrincham)

Late to reply to this but yes, big increase in technicolour tracksuits strolling around Alty.

Loads of shops have closed down in Alty too; fk all left except charity shops.

Main street looks like a bomb site with all the boarded-up and painted-over windows.

Noticed a huge increase recently in the number of To Let signs for office space.

A lot of restaurant and pubs gone too, you'd expect that in a downturn but the good ones have folded too.

This says to me that the 'money' is having to cut back as well as us ordinary folk.

Know of one house that has had 75 viewings and no sale.

Yes, you read that correctly seventy-five viewings.

Know another place on for coming up on 5 years....

There is also a huge number of £1m+ houses, newbuilds, just sitting on the market endlessly.

Lawks, you're being very precise about where you want to live. Stamford Park is still Alty (Maybe on the edge of the 'Tree Road' area, which now seems to be claimed by the estate agents as Hale. Not to worry).

This letter in the local newspaper is complaining about the mud in the playground in Stamford Park. So yes, its still a posh area :) Wouldn't get this in John Leigh park where the Oldfield Brow lot hang out.

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/yoursay/letters/5020623.Play_area_was_a_mud_bath

A few questions

From the wiki entry for Trafford - all the wards are linked to on the trafford gov website at the bottom of the wiki entry.

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/cme/live/dynamic/DocMan2Document.asp?document_id=063A1FEE-82E9-4B7D-B725-E0B6DEC381B7

The map's a bit tricky to see, but it's clearly Hale (central). If it were me I'd probably refer to it as Altrincham by the time you get down to the Moss Lane end but it seems even the Football ground is classed as Hale, right up to the Municipal golf course. You live and learn.

No idea about bars. I'm a pint/pub type rather than a poncy lounge lizard and my local shall remain a secret to spare you the embarassment of being seen in such an establishment.

Alty-Hale it remains then. Barring paying some money and getting the keys I will be living in Hale-Alty shortly. the wife doesn't particularly like it but tough shit, this ain't Australia.

I'm a pint/pub type

I would be too normally but my opportunities to go out have dwindled to such an extent that it would be a waste to "just go to the pub" unless I'm away on business. I shall do my best to lower the tone of the area.

Alty-Hale it remains then. Barring paying some money and getting the keys I will be living in Hale-Alty shortly. the wife doesn't particularly like it but tough shit, this ain't Australia.

I would be too normally but my opportunities to go out have dwindled to such an extent that it would be a waste to "just go to the pub" unless I'm away on business. I shall do my best to lower the tone of the area.

She sounds like a nightmare. :P

The Griffin in Bowdon is a pleasant 'smart' pub for a bite to eat with the Mrs (especially if she's high maintenance like yours).

http://www.pub-explorer.com/lancs/pub/griffinbowdon.htm

There's bars more like the one's you had in mind in the centre of Hale (not my thing really) and Piccolinos at the far end in Hale for a bite to eat.

http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/hale_private.html

If you want a more 'country' pub with a log fire etc then try the here, down to the M56 roundabout then right on the Lymm road for 1 mile.

http://swanwithtwonicks.moonfruit.co.uk/

If she's not happy with any of these either then get a new wife.

• 2 months later...

OMFG, this is awesome

http://www.rightmove...ap&fromMap=true

This house has been on the market since before I was looking in January. Read the description, its a 4 bed but they will rent it out as a 2 or 3 bed (for less money) but only on the proviso that the adittional rooms are locked off :lol:

how f***ed up is that? Its not like the landlord can get anymore if he only rents it at £695, just supreme dog in a manger style tactics to restrict the tenants to 2 bedrooms.

:blink: Perhaps he's planning to keep his mother in the locked attic. If you ring up and he's called Norman Bates I think I'd leave it...........